The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 Exam - Tues 11'th January 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by DonFahad
That was seriously good. I really, really, really appreciate that. How you turned 2 pages of notes into 1 sentence.

I dont know about your plans for the future, but looking from the rest of your post, you'd be great as a private tutor (as a student job or something). Rep to be given too...

Lol thats nice of you.. Glad it helped :smile: Haha i'll consider tutoring :tongue:

How did you find todays paper? Ah i want the answers!
I was not pleased with that paper. It's as if OCR designed the paper to specifically target the weak points in my revision. <_<
Reply 602
Original post by Iepnauy

-Find the difference between percents, and water potentials to be 19.444444, then multiple that by 7. Add number to -1850? <- I did it this way, but I think it may be wrong. I ended up getting -1664

I did this one, it seemed obvious to me. Overall I think it was an ok paper really, nicer questions than I imagined.

Will they EVER do a question on the heart though? I swear on this and all past papers of the new specification there hasn't been one. My teacher suggested they may be saving it for a synoptic question for the A2 paper :s-smilie:
I didn't like the paper... far too much plant stuff and like you guys of said wanted some stuff on the heart!! :frown: messed a few questions up by not reading them properly but hopefully I might scrape a C :frown:
for the people who did this exam as a retake- what did you get in the first/second time that you did it? did you find this one harder?
from reading some of these posts, it seems to me this exam was harder than jan 2010. i got 100% in it back then.
(edited 13 years ago)
-1700 anyone?
Reply 606
yup, it was 2 marks the symplast and apoplast is how water travels across a route however this asked about cell membranes
Reply 607
What did you guys write about the stupid question on some bunch of flowers with a cut stem?

2 Functions of cytoskeleton?
Reply 608
Original post by Rassam
-1700 anyone?

-1800 I got. My teacher did the exam paper whilst we were doing it and she got -1600.. she said there is likely to be a range and she got -1600. Maybe we have hope :wink:
Reply 609
I got -1600 because I ran out of time and just had a guess. Im pretty sure thats not the right answer though if you work it out mathamatically. Im suprised your teacher got that.
Reply 610
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Let's hope bronchus is right then xD

For that water thing - I'm pretty sure the question was, "How does water move across the cell surface membrane?"
Surely symplast and vacuolar are describing what the water does once it's passed through the plasma membrane, not describing how water actually enters the cell in the first place?
I put that water on its own is small enough to pass through the bilayer via osmosis, but if there are solutes / larger molecules with it, then channel proteins may have to facilitate the diffusion.?

Bronchus? Why bronchus?.. I thought its trachea then bronchus then bronchioles then alveoli????!! My teacher said it was bronchioles!? :confused:
Reply 611
Original post by Princess_perfect786
for the people who did this exam as a retake- what did you get in the first/second time that you did it? did you find this one harder?
from reading some of these posts, it seems to me this exam was harder than jan 2010. i got 100% in it back then.

i took F211 originally in june, and spent the whole hour very stressed out, due to waking up at 8.52, sprinting to school (only live round the corner) and spending the 1st 10 minutes out of breath (i wasn't in school uniform either haha, just joggers and tshirt)

anyway, i found this exam alot better. i finished with 20minutes + to spare. Probably because i did a mad amount of revision because i'd learnt it over a year ago, so wanted to make sure i was okay with everything.
I got a 59/90 last time, so hoping this will push my overall UMS up from 240 to at least 260
Reply 612
Original post by Ambrosse
I got -1600 because I ran out of time and just had a guess. Im pretty sure thats not the right answer though if you work it out mathamatically. Im suprised your teacher got that.

God knows.. i have no idea how I got that. I think I did some subtracting and dividing.. im not sure. Hopefully they have some range!! Did you get bronchus or bronchioles?
Reply 613
Original post by Princess_perfect786

I did this as a re-sit. For me last year, it was lack of revision and no exam practice so I got 61. June paper went really well so i re-sat this but i found this paper quite similar to ours last year cos IF i had done ALL my revision very well with exam practice that paper should have gone wowwwwwwwwww.. but i didnt so..
Original post by Rassam
I said 'growth and protein synthesis', is that right?

well, thats G, S and G2...so yes
Reply 615
For the bronchus/bronchi/bronchiole debate, i thought about it for a while, then decided that the alveoli connect to the bronchiole, and the bronchi lead off from them, so i put bronchi.
It wasn't bronchus because there were two branches of it.
Original post by shooby_doo
I put its responcible for the movement of organelles inside the cell, e.g golgi vesicles
and there seemed to be extentions coming out the cell so i assumed they were flagella. So they were responcible for the movement of flagella.

:rofl: This made me laugh for some reason. But I see what you mean. I just winged it for that question though. :colondollar:
Reply 617
with the water potential question did it specifically say when 50% were plasmolysed? I didn't know what water potential to state because i didn't know at which % plasmolysis it can be considered to be at the water potential.
Original post by Rosi M
-1800 I got. My teacher did the exam paper whilst we were doing it and she got -1600.. she said there is likely to be a range and she got -1600. Maybe we have hope :wink:

Well theoretically it should be -1664 but I just said -1700 as it was an estimate
Reply 619
We should all put on our marks and grades on this thread when we get the results back :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending