The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by esachica
Have you got any tips on Rossetti generally? I'm doing her too :/

Haven't got my notes with me, but from what i can think of:

Cousin Kate: (sucks it came up in june, would of love to have had that for section A) She uses an iambic rhythm to lull readers into a set pattern, but then she has a break at line 29: "even so i sit and howl in dust" - then jus go into town on language i.e. 'sit' - reduced her to be unable to stand, 'howl' either dehumanising or ghost like; either way not human and finally 'dust' - either brings a sense of timelessness and stagnation alternatively biblical reference to genesis 3:19 about the whole 'from dust we were created, and to that we will return' (thats not the exact quote, bare with me, im muslim aha)

Royal Princess: Jus talk about the persona trying to transcend the patriarchal society. She wants to distance herself from her father. Key lines: "I a Princess king descended" "Men, women children clamoring, clamoring to be fed"

Jessie Cameron: Very rhythmic, natures personified, archaic language, ominous ect

Goblin Market: Didactic form, fairy tale like, one big allegory or jus one big sex poem, language of temptation ect

Maude Clare: Language of usurption, class, circular structure ect

Convent Threshold: Dont really know much im afraid

Winter My Secret: Denouement (unravelling) natures personified, creates a division between inner emotional state and outer.

If i had my notes i would have more, hope any of that helps x
Reply 161
Original post by thefirstnotlastsamurai
Haven't got my notes with me, but from what i can think of:

Cousin Kate: (sucks it came up in june, would of love to have had that for section A) She uses an iambic rhythm to lull readers into a set pattern, but then she has a break at line 29: "even so i sit and howl in dust" - then jus go into town on language i.e. 'sit' - reduced her to be unable to stand, 'howl' either dehumanising or ghost like; either way not human and finally 'dust' - either brings a sense of timelessness and stagnation alternatively biblical reference to genesis 3:19 about the whole 'from dust we were created, and to that we will return' (thats not the exact quote, bare with me, im muslim aha)

Royal Princess: Jus talk about the persona trying to transcend the patriarchal society. She wants to distance herself from her father. Key lines: "I a Princess king descended" "Men, women children clamoring, clamoring to be fed"

Jessie Cameron: Very rhythmic, natures personified, archaic language, ominous ect

Goblin Market: Didactic form, fairy tale like, one big allegory or jus one big sex poem, language of temptation ect

Maude Clare: Language of usurption, class, circular structure ect

Convent Threshold: Dont really know much im afraid

Winter My Secret: Denouement (unravelling) natures personified, creates a division between inner emotional state and outer.

If i had my notes i would have more, hope any of that helps x

Thanks so much! I'd rep, but it won't let me -_- To be honest I may just pick about three poems to revise and go to town on them rather than try memorize everything about 6/7. Are you having to resit? :redface:
Reply 162
Christ, I have no idea how to work out UMS and what I need to make what grade :| You advanced thing, you! Or er, perhaps it's just me!

I only worked it because I find knowing exactly what I need to get to get what I want helps me massively with motivation.

-----

Watched the kite runner last night, if anything the most useful part of watching it was help get the order of events set in my mind.

I'm so nervous for this exam :sad:
Reply 163
Original post by dyhtps
I only worked it because I find knowing exactly what I need to get to get what I want helps me massively with motivation.

-----

Watched the kite runner last night, if anything the most useful part of watching it was help get the order of events set in my mind.

How do you work it out, may I ask? :smile:
Reply 164
Anyone have any tips on structuring an answer to Section A Question b)? I 'm finding it hard to write a 'coherent' essay in 30 mins.
Reply 165

If you Google AQA UMS Grade Boundaries you'll be able to find a chart somewhere with the UMS youneed for each grade. Do you still have the sheet with your current UMS for the two units? If so, you can take off your coursework UMS and you'll be left with what you need for the greade in the exam :biggrin:
Reply 166
Original post by dyhtps

-----

Aah there's only one week left :frown:

THIS TIME NEXT WEEK...
Reply 167

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA_W_2745_GS.PDF :smile:
Reply 168
Original post by Mizikei
If you Google AQA UMS Grade Boundaries you'll be able to find a chart somewhere with the UMS youneed for each grade. Do you still have the sheet with your current UMS for the two units? If so, you can take off your coursework UMS and you'll be left with what you need for the greade in the exam :biggrin:

Thank you! :biggrin:

Much love as always, Popat! :adore:
Thanks so much! I'd rep, but it won't let me -_- To be honest I may just pick about three poems to revise and go to town on them rather than try memorize everything about 6/7. Are you having to resit? :redface:

I'm glad any of that helped! I am retaking, but i'm doing Rossetti for section A this time (tutor taught me it) so i can jus forget about keats, im sure his poetry was alright, but my teacher just taught it badly.

If your doing it for section A - only jessie cameron and a royal princess havent come up, so i assume one of them will. But for section B - theres no point, learning all of them, i'd say focus on the best ones - my favourite ones are cousin kate, a royal princess and maude clare, i think theyre the best ones to talk about.

I hope symbolism comes up - kite runner, gatsby and tennyson are full of it.

How are you revising?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 170

How are you revising?

Going through form, structure and language in chapters of my section A text and aspects of narrative on my section B texts. That and panicking, of course. :smile:
Reply 171
I'm glad any of that helped! I am retaking, but i'm doing Rossetti for section A this time (tutor taught me it) so i can jus forget about keats, im sure his poetry was alright, but my teacher just taught it badly.

If your doing it for section A - only jessie cameron and a royal princess havent come up, so i assume one of them will. But for section B - theres no point, learning all of them, i'd say focus on the best ones - my favourite ones are cousin kate, a royal princess and maude clare, i think theyre the best ones to talk about.

I hope symbolism comes up - kite runner, gatsby and tennyson are full of it.

How are you revising?

Well you sound like you know your stuff, so you should be fine! :biggrin: But no, I'm doing Gatsby for Section A, which means I can cross off certain chapters which is always good! But God yes, symbolism would be a beautyyy. Though the other poet I'm doing - W.H Auden, doesn't seem to have much symbols :| And titles, ickk, please no!

Like Popat said, I'm also going through the Gatsby chapters and outling language, form & structure. There's no part trying to guess the second Gatsby question so I'm just making sure I know all the themes; religion, money, feminism, etc...
And then for Section B, I'm sort of struggling on how to revise. I feel I know Kite Runner well, but not the poetry D: I don't feel I'll have ENOUGH to talk about and will sit in the exam hall hovering above my paper without actually writing anything!

How are you revising?
Reply 172
Anyone know the best way to go about structuring an answer for Section A Question b? 30 mins seems so limiting :frown:
Well you sound like you know your stuff, so you should be fine! :biggrin: But no, I'm doing Gatsby for Section A, which means I can cross off certain chapters which is always good! But God yes, symbolism would be a beautyyy. Though the other poet I'm doing - W.H Auden, doesn't seem to have much symbols :| And titles, ickk, please no!

Like Popat said, I'm also going through the Gatsby chapters and outling language, form & structure. There's no part trying to guess the second Gatsby question so I'm just making sure I know all the themes; religion, money, feminism, etc...
And then for Section B, I'm sort of struggling on how to revise. I feel I know Kite Runner well, but not the poetry D: I don't feel I'll have ENOUGH to talk about and will sit in the exam hall hovering above my paper without actually writing anything!

How are you revising?

You will be fine, i done Gatsby for Section A last year, i thought the chapter questions were alright, but my biggest thing, was the whole "exploring" how lang/struc/form shape meanin, form is pretty difficult in novels in itself.
Which is why in the june exam for section A, i only managed to get 10/21 (Band 4). So just make sure you do some close textual analysis, your kinda lucky aswell, chapters 3/4/5/7/9 have all come up - and to be quite frank - they all suck. Chapter 1 is quite strong - i'd say focus on the prolepsis of what happens - i think the quote is something like "gatsby turned out all right in the end, its what preyed on him...blah blah", talk about narrative framing and fashioning ect. Chapter 2 - i know its crap chapter, but you could easily do your whole essay on setting, focus on east egg/west egg (comment on the word 'egg' - possibility for new life? or just a sterile rock?) then include stuff on the valley of the ashes. Predominantly focussing on setting would really suffice, because i saw a script on tennyson (describe the narrative methods in his poem Marianna) and the girl started of: "tennyson uses various narrative methods, in particular setting, to mirror Marianna's physical landscape to her emotional landscrape" - then she jus done tight focus and sharp exploration, and banged out a 20/21. If you get chapter 6 - that is an amazing chapter (flashback/analepsis) - that quote "he sprang from a platonic conception of himself" - is full of stuff to analyse. I cant remember chapter 8 - im afraid, can only think of the pathetic fallacy of the cool autumn day, and wasnt that the chapter gatbsy died?
For section B - jus keep in mind the whole conspicuous consumption/alcohol prohibition/lack of female rights/american dream ect.

Hope you enjoyed my ramble aha :wink:
Original post by Popat21
Going through form, structure and language in chapters of my section A text and aspects of narrative on my section B texts. That and panicking, of course. :smile:

Ah - i hope this exam goes alright, after the complete mess AQA made of things in the summer - the least they can do to apologise is give nice questions, and actually employ examiners who aren't mentally challenged.
Original post by casio99
Anyone know the best way to go about structuring an answer for Section A Question b? 30 mins seems so limiting :frown:

Best way to tackle section A)B) - is to first determine whether you agree/disagee with the statement. Then you have to pick some textual evidence which supports your argument. You kinda have to take a holistic approach to the question - consider why different people will have different interpretations. Try to specifically include "in light of a feminist/marxist/religious/psychoanalytical reading, readers may be guided to the conclusion....." then evaluate, why that particular reading would be the best one. Make subtle links to your context throughout - some questions you'll find it easy, others you wont. Providing - you have a decent focus on the task/explore the strengths and weaknesses of different interpretations + link to context - you should get at least 14/15.

Hope that helped mate!
Reply 176
X

I very much enjoyed your ramble! Thanks so much! :smile: I don't see how you won't get a really good grade! Have you got any more stuff on Chapter 6 for Gatsby? I don't seem to have much, annoyingly -_-
Reply 177
Ah - i hope this exam goes alright, after the complete mess AQA made of things in the summer - the least they can do to apologise is give nice questions, and actually employ examiners who aren't mentally challenged.

I hope so! I was talking to my Lit teacher today and she said that the only topic that hadn't come up for Section B was destination. I pray to God it doesn't come up. :frown:
Reply 178
Original post by Popat21
I hope so! I was talking to my Lit teacher today and she said that the only topic that hadn't come up for Section B was destination. I pray to God it doesn't come up. :frown:

I want symbolism :frown: I genuinely have NOTHING for 'settling/destination' for my poems. GOD DAMN YOU AUDEN/ROSETTI.

-whines-
Reply 179
I want symbolism :frown: I genuinely have NOTHING for 'settling/destination' for my poems. GOD DAMN YOU AUDEN/ROSETTI.

-whines-

WAIT WHAT? You have nothing for setting on Auden/Rossetti? Let me sort this out.

GOBLIN MARKET

- Parallel world, common market yet has goblins adding to the fairytale aspect. Link this to Rossetti’s intended form/audience
- Universal countryside to make message universal
- Lack of men suggests they are not needed, link to Lizzie saving Laura

COUSIN KATE
- Typical rural setting reinforces the idea that this could happen to everyone

1st SEPT
- Dive bar on 52nd street detached and away from the war enabling open minding
- America was in its isolationist period/phase
- Cannot escape the war with jazz music (this was a by-product of WW1)
- Athens was the birthplace of democracy and lost this for a while acting as a warning to the reader to learn from past mistakes
- Everybody knows New York City so it is a universal setting, especially as it is a capital of the world etc.

I DON'T WANT SYMBOLISM. I WILL CRY.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending