The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 Exam - Tues 11'th January 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OwenFerny

So like, why the hell was there nothing on the heart or anything!? That is so frutrating. I really prepared for that lol.

Anyone else seem to run out of time and go on a mad rush at the end, JUST finishing? (I hope)

The fact there was nothing on the heart annoyed me immensely. Oh, and I finished half an hour in :tongue:
Reply 781
Original post by Rosi M
Haha tutor! :tongue: Erm yeah similar response to yours i guess.. i found the paper relatively ok but just that question on some bunch of flowers which god knows what i wrote.. all wrong.. and that question on "how to construct a graph" i mean im just sat there staring at the question.. so vague! I was so confused and had nothing to write i wrote draw line of best fit.. but crossed it out 'cos thats just pushing it! :tongue: .. yeah i wrote meristem cells and that cell division happens by forming a cell plate in equator region or something..

Nope not heard of anyone yet.. would be good if someone does though. How would someone get hold of the paper though?

If there were spares left over, which there usually are. My biology teacher went through it very quickly, so there must be other places in the country where there are a few spares. In theory anyway... I wrote line of best fit lmao, I just had no idea. I had done most of it, and I had around 30 minutes to devote to either the graph question or the plants/animals cell division question. Really annoying, because you've got the time to do it, you just don't know how to...
Reply 782
Original post by 786girl
WHAT ABOUT the question that went something like;

'why do those flowers whose stems have been cut just before before they are put into water grow better' or something

wtffffffffffffffffffff! :angry:

The xylem begins to close off if exposed to air, so cutting a bit off the end should expose a "fresher" part of the xylem, or wider part, so will be able to soak up more water quicker. Or something along those lines
Reply 783
Original post by Rosi M
Just gave you a rep! You made me feel so relieved! I think you should do alot more talking!! :biggrin::smile:

To be fair, it is a grey area, and I can't say for sure that I am 100% right though. I appreciate the rep though, every little helps, not that I advertise for Tesco or anything.
Reply 784
OCR, you make my blood boil!! D':
I spent HOURS ON TOP OF HOURS on heart, lungs, lymph, PHLOEM. Why not humour me, eh, and stick 2-3 questions on the cardiac cycle? Or the mass flow hypothesis? Or Hb dissociation and stuff?!! Dx

You know for that question on why the cell didn't burst? Did you have to put CELLULOSE cell wall? Because i just wrote cell wall...
And you know that question on the DNA- very first page- i put something like Growth in G1 and G2 and then i put DNA is checked for an abnormalities or mutations

Oh, and did anyone have a slight heart attack when they saw the last page? The one with lines on it? I freaked out and though it was one of them 10 mark questions xD
Reply 785
AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
:angry:
This exam was ****ing solid, came out and really ****ed off
I swear the grade boundaries better be low, i really dont wana resit--but have no choice now.
Iv completely bombed the neutrophils question ---i mean WTF did the examiners think they were doing!
Got physics tomorrow, then chemistry, just hope they go wellll, I might slightly forget about biology exam and how annoyed I am:mad:
Reply 786
Oh and btw my teacher told us that the: "why does plant survive longer when shoot cut",

you had to basically write about adhesion and cohesion and how siple they would become----I messed up bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 787
Original post by Rassam
It can't be bronchiole because the alveoli weren't relative in size if it were a bronchiole!

Definitely bronchiole!
Original post by Flint_09
Definitely bronchiole!

It's likely they'll allow bronchiole AND bronchus considering the diagram was rubbish and there was no scale, as such.
Original post by DonFahad
If there were spares left over, which there usually are. My biology teacher went through it very quickly, so there must be other places in the country where there are a few spares. In theory anyway... I wrote line of best fit lmao, I just had no idea. I had done most of it, and I had around 30 minutes to devote to either the graph question or the plants/animals cell division question. Really annoying, because you've got the time to do it, you just don't know how to...

Yhhh donfahad i am pakistani
Reply 790
Original post by Sohailahmed
Yhhh donfahad i am pakistani

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=333779&page=459

Pakistani society.
Soz mate, you've got it wrong. My biology teacher (must be the best in the country, predicted absolutely everything right on the paper, one of the questions word-for-word), said the following;

One mark for plain diffusion/osmosis through the cell membrane, as water molecules are very small. However, the second mark, will be for mentioning channel proteins, as water molecules, however small, are actually charged, and so a channel protein lets through molecules that are charged. Remember that the Phosphate heads are actually hydrophobic, and that there is a chance that a water molecule could hit that and be repelled. As a result, there are channel proteins that open for water molecules to leave.

The apoplast and symplast pathways are irrelevant to the cell surface membrane. They are relevant to how water, taken in at the roots, reaches the xylem cells.

As it happens, I only got the first mark, but think about it, they cannot expect you to explain the apoplastic and symplastic pathways, as well as an explanation of diffusion in two lines and two marks. Even if you somehow managed to fit it in, it is irrelevant because nowhere in the question does it mention that. It mentions cell surface membrane, ie, the plasma membrane, not the symplastic and apoplastic pathways, which go through a number of cells, membranes and plasmodesmata.

phosphate heads are hydropphilic, not phobic...
so much for best biology teacher evar
Reply 792
Original post by shooby_doo

already been pointed out, and accepted by me as a mistake.

f*ck off yeh? :biggrin:
Reply 793

oh, and you spelt hydrophilic wrong, even with a spell checker. That sucks man...
already been pointed out, and accepted by me as a mistake.

f*ck off yeh? :biggrin:

lol at this argument... is it still going on? :P
Original post by Rassam
Location Slough, you blates go to Slough Grammar

Wrong.
Reply 796
Original post by CullenLoverX
lol at this argument... is it still going on? :P

some n00b pointed out that i got hydrophilic and hydrophobic mixed up. I was sorting him out.
some n00b pointed out that i got hydrophilic and hydrophobic mixed up. I was sorting him out.

:tongue: haha thats jokes.
i was just laughing because i came on tsr like 5 hours ago, this argument was going on; i went off tsr, revised 2 whole subjects thoroughly, did 2 past papers, i come back and the same argument is still going on :rolleyes:
like, the exam is over people. im sorry but pointing out that someone got hydrophobic and hydrophilic mixed up is not gonna get you another mark lol
just chill out and concentrate on revising for the other subjects.

come results day in march, then you can bring this discussion up again :biggrin:
oh, and you spelt hydrophilic wrong, even with a spell checker. That sucks man...

Spell checker? That comment was a bit of a fail, besides , i spelt hydrophilic wrong on the student room forum
GEE-ZUZ, deduct marks from my actual written exam .... awww
Reply 799
Spell checker? That comment was a bit of a fail, besides , i spelt hydrophilic wrong on the student room forum
GEE-ZUZ, deduct marks from my actual written exam .... awww

Yes, the student room has an in built spell checker on its reply to thread screen, allowing for spacks like you, who will inevitably make mistakes.

Cheerio, chin up :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending