The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 Exam - Tues 11'th January 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by MissLightyear
Just wondering if anyone knows when the ocr website updates past papers? As in when will this exam be put up as a past paper and mark scheme?

It'll be a while. Is June 2010's even on there yet?
it's bronchioles end of lol.

I thought the paper would be alot easier, I found some questions a bit tough - hoping the grade boundaries are low.
Original post by Tabers
It'll be a while. Is June 2010's even on there yet?

I thought they were, but I just rechecked and theyre not!

I was hoping they'd put them up so that I could check the mark scheme but I guess I'll jut have to be patient and wait for my results
Reply 823
I thought they were, but I just rechecked and theyre not!

I was hoping they'd put them up so that I could check the mark scheme but I guess I'll jut have to be patient and wait for my results

Waiting for the paper to appear on the OCR website is pointless. They take ages to uploade the papers. I remember every single question with marks allocated to each one but I can't be asked to type it all up here, too tired.
Reply 824
Original post by Flint_09
Do you also talk about the plasma membrane folding in to form vesicles that enclose the foreign cells. then these vesicles fuse with lysosomes and lysosomes destroy the content of the vesicles?

Yeah I wrote something similar too. Im thinking omg what do i write for 4 marks?!
Original post by Dim0nIX
Waiting for the paper to appear on the OCR website is pointless. They take ages to uploade the papers. I remember every single question with marks allocated to each one but I can't be asked to type it all up here, too tired.

Ah, thanks. Thats pretty impressive remembering them all though :smile:
Reply 826
Ah, thanks. Thats pretty impressive remembering them all though :smile:

Mitosis (1)
Stages of Mitosis JKLMN (4)
Differences between mitosis in plants and animals (2)
What happens during the interphase except for DNA replication (2)
Osmosis (1)
Two ways for water to cross the plasma membrane (2)
Why is the plant steaming? (2)
Describe how transpiration causes water to move up the xylem (4+1 QWC)
Define Transpiration (2)
Fill in the gaps (6)
How can you improve accuracy and reliability of that ? ??periment (4)
Name structure A and B in the lung (2)
How are alveoli adopted to perform their function (2)
Question about lymphocytes (4)
Differentiation (1)
Why the cell in the pic is eukaryotic, give 2 reasosn (2)
Estimate water potential of the isotonic solution (1)
Why do we cut the stems of flowers? (2)
Magnification question (2)
2 effects that permeability of the capillaries has on the tissue when histamine is released (2)
How does histamine act? (2)
Cytoskeleton (2)
Why plant cells dont burst (2)
Label xylem phloem and cambum (3)
How would you plot the graph to investigate the water potential of the isotonic solution (2)

QUESTIONS ARE NOT IN ORDER AND ARE REPHRASED BECAUSE I DONT HAVE MUCH TIME TO WRITE THEM OUT IN FULL ATM
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 827
Original post by CRG
Is the whole bronchiole/bronchus argument still going on?

I'm pretty sure it was bronchiOLE. The scale doesn't matter in most exams unless you're doing measures e.g. that magnification question
You just needed to use your common sense, basically. And aren't bronchioles always attached to alveoli?

P.s. plants are my enemies now, ftr. Why can't the just do plant stuff in environmental science only!! D':
THEY'RE NOT MEANT TO HAVE STEAM COMING OUT OF THEM!!! IT'S NOT NATURAL!!!!

YEAH EXACTLY! Thats how i thought.. i dont see why scales matters so much. I just thought that bronchioles is the tissue attached to the alveoli right so it has to be that! Well lets hope they lenient anyhow :smile:

What did you write for that unclear vague question on water routes through cell surface membrane? Urgh.. i wrote about simple diffusion and channels and stuff... that was such an unclear question designed deliberately to trip us up!!!
Original post by Rosi M
-1800 I got. My teacher did the exam paper whilst we were doing it and she got -1600.. she said there is likely to be a range and she got -1600. Maybe we have hope :wink:

i worked it out and got around -1665 or somthing...so i just wrote -1650...so its ahlfway yeh hope there's a range because they did say "estimate" not work out!!! :biggrin:
This exam was like January 2010... All plants and no heart.
Reply 830
Original post by Princess Kawaii
i worked it out and got around -1665 or somthing...so i just wrote -1650...so its ahlfway yeh hope there's a range because they did say "estimate" not work out!!! :biggrin:

lol yeah hopefully though mine does sound a bit too far off so i may be pushing it! :tongue: What did you write for water routes lol!?
heyy guys...

what did u write for " plot the graph to investigate the water potential of the isotonic solution (2)"????
had to no idea for that and made stuff up!!:biggrin: don't think even made sense when i wrote it! :frown:
Original post by Rosi M
lol yeah hopefully though mine does sound a bit too far off so i may be pushing it! :tongue: What did you write for water routes lol!?

well i wrote diffusion thru the channel proteins and stuff and... HAHA i tried to remember aquaporins but it just never clicked in my head and i wrote aquatic proteins LMAOOOOO!!! then i remebered when i came out of the exam!!

but its defo not symplast or apoplast because those are the routes the root CellS plural ...so inbetween the cells or thru the cytoplasm. but the question asked thru cell plasma membrane. :biggrin:

how about u?? :wink:
For the question about how water/liquid moves out of a plant, I wrote osmosis but my friends all wrote exopinocytosis? Am i still going to get the mark or are they wrong ?
How did people find this exam - any guesses for the grade boundaries?
Reply 835
When will the grade boundaries be up? Any one know??
Reply 836
Original post by asem93
When will the grade boundaries be up? Any one know??

I think for the summer ones it was a day or two before the results came out. Might be wrong then.
Reply 837
I don’t know when the grade boundaries will be up but from the averages of the last 3 past papers available the averages go like this

A: 43
B: 37
C: 33

Also i noticed it has gone down over the last three years from 46 to 40 even though this is not enough for a decisive answer, my guess is it will not be higher than 44 :smile: But to be positive of an A i would say 12 marks at max dropped.

ps. For the bronchi/bronchiole i said it was bronchi because there was a split in the section and there was a clear section between the alveoli and 'bronchi' shaded in grey. Overall my opinion is the picture was rubbish :smile:

pps. Its always the top 38% for an A :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
for the bronchi/bronchioles question....
if it were to be bronchi....would it be okay that i wrote bronchus :/
Reply 839
Any teacher got some answers they can put up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending