The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 Exam - Tues 11'th January 2011

Scroll to see replies

the grade boundary for the june paper was 41 for an A, which is really quite low at 68%, and this exam paper was just as easy to fall into traps on i felt. So if you think you may have been just on the boundary of A/B there's some hope for you i guess.

As i opened my paper, i just managed to hear from my Bio teacher who was at the back of the hall 'finally a paper that'll sort out the real Biologists', and i guess there were quite a few 'suggest' questions, and a lot of reasoning ones, but as long as you put something logical, you're likely to get it right.

What you find out over the internet now is from people who are in the same situation as you, so the majority of things you read on here at this moment in time may not even help your worrying, i'm guessing you all have the ISA these next few weeks.. not sure if everyone else does it at the same time, so i'd just say concentrate on that as much as you can and sit tight till march.
Reply 841
strong ambiguous paper OCR brahs
Reply 842
Original post by Princess Kawaii
well i wrote diffusion thru the channel proteins and stuff and... HAHA i tried to remember aquaporins but it just never clicked in my head and i wrote aquatic proteins LMAOOOOO!!! then i remebered when i came out of the exam!!

but its defo not symplast or apoplast because those are the routes the root CellS plural ...so inbetween the cells or thru the cytoplasm. but the question asked thru cell plasma membrane. :biggrin:

how about u?? :wink:

hahahah!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: okk thats bloody hilarious!! Were you day dreaming about some aquarium or something with sharks????? :tongue: haha the marker is gonna laugh.. actually no biology markers dont laugh/smile/talk or breathe do they. They robots!

Phewwww lol wrote same as you :tongue: yep they put cell surface membrane as bold too.. they were attempting to be nice to us.. give them some credit haha
Reply 843
Original post by dundiddyknoe
For the question about how water/liquid moves out of a plant, I wrote osmosis but my friends all wrote exopinocytosis? Am i still going to get the mark or are they wrong ?

Omg i was sat there thinking that too.. but then thought maybe its just asking for osmosis but water always moves out by osmosis right.. exopinocytosis..doesn't it refer to any other liquidy watery fluidy thing.. water just moves out by osmosis.. not by fusing right? Hmm hope its osmosis or even better a range :smile:
Reply 844
Original post by Rosi M
Omg i was sat there thinking that too.. but then thought maybe its just asking for osmosis but water always moves out by osmosis right.. exopinocytosis..doesn't it refer to any other liquidy watery fluidy thing.. water just moves out by osmosis.. not by fusing right? Hmm hope its osmosis or even better a range :smile:

It is osmosis. The knowledge of "exo pinocytosis" (to give its correct spelling :wink: ) is not even on the OCR syllabus. Ohh can someone be arsed to write up an unofficial mark scheme using the questions that I provided or shall I sacrifice my precious spare time again..? :cool:
Original post by Rosi M
hahahah!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: okk thats bloody hilarious!! Were you day dreaming about some aquarium or something with sharks????? :tongue: haha the marker is gonna laugh.. actually no biology markers dont laugh/smile/talk or breathe do they. They robots!

Phewwww lol wrote same as you :tongue: yep they put cell surface membrane as bold too.. they were attempting to be nice to us.. give them some credit haha

:biggrin: LOL i know!!...god knows what i was thinking off!! hehe...yeh most probz some "open ocean with the little fish swimming along...and the dolphins"...not thinking about any biology exam at all!!:colondollar: LOL
:biggrin: i was just laughing when i came out tho...exactly what i was on about with my friends...something to entertain the freakin examiner!! :wink:
yeh i had to look at the question twice to make sure it was in bold...i was like awww so they don't want us to fail! :eek:

hw did u find the paper overall tho? :smile:
btw i was NOT daydreaming :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 846
Original post by Princess Kawaii
:biggrin: LOL i know!!...god knows what i was thinking off!! hehe...yeh most probz some "open ocean with the little fish swimming along...and the dolphins"...not thinking about any biology exam at all!!:colondollar: LOL
:biggrin: i was just laughing when i came out tho...exactly what i was on about with my friends...something to entertain the freakin examiner!! :wink:

yeh i had to look at the question twice to make sure it was in bold...i was like awww so they don't want us to fail! :eek:

hw did u find the paper overall tho? :smile:

Haha thats actually quite funny! :biggrin: Aquatic proteins! Some new form of developed oceanfied proteins that nobody's really heard of but you know lets just put them in the exam!! :tongue:

I think paper was ok.. much better than june 2010.. that was quite difficult with all the little markers on the yeast business.. I dont like experiment question much so im really glad it was more about testing your knowledge and recall rather than looking at some graph or table! Filling in gaps was like a miracle!! And the alveoli labelling one and xylem pholem labelling one.. mitosis stuff was very good too :smile: It was a good paper i think but few 1 markers i definitely got wrong soo im a bit :confused::frown: about that but i hope hope i did well hope hope hope.

Lol enough of my speech.. how did you find it apart from aquatic proteins? :tongue::wink::biggrin::smile:
Reply 847
Original post by CourtneeJburton
Normally the score divided by the maximum amount of marks available, times 100 is the percentage... so 40/60 = 67%
The grade boundaries normally follow
A = 80%
B = 70%
C = 60%
D = 50%

etc. so with any luck you should have gotten a C, however because the paper was relatively hard the boundaries may habe lowered giving you B :smile: :smile: good luck on whatever grade you get x

Except no, it's 80% of the UMS marks, which are out of one hundred. So 40 out of 60 is about 72 UMS marks, depending on this years grade boundaries. and an A is usually around 75% UMS. So actually there's a good chance you've got an A, well done :smile:
Reply 848
what did everyone put for the affect on permeability of the capillary wall due to histamine?
Reply 849
Original post by Dim0nIX
It is osmosis. The knowledge of "exo pinocytosis" (to give its correct spelling :wink: ) is not even on the OCR syllabus. Ohh can someone be arsed to write up an unofficial mark scheme using the questions that I provided or shall I sacrifice my precious spare time again..? :cool:

Haha I think your gonna be the best at the job so i think you should do it 'cos the rest of these guys right.. quite lazy! :tongue:
Reply 850
Anyone doing F321 tomorrow?
Reply 851
Original post by abu125
what did everyone put for the affect on permeability of the capillary wall due to histamine?

Histamine increases the permeability of a capillary wall which increases the rate of diffusion for gas exchange. which would make sense due to histamine relaxing the the trachea during exercise, it's all about getting oxygen into your cells as quickly as possible. i think :L
Reply 852
Original post by Rosi M
Haha I think your gonna be the best at the job so i think you should do it 'cos the rest of these guys right.. quite lazy! :tongue:

No, I can't do it. I am busy atm.
Reply 853
Original post by gannalise
Histamine increases the permeability of a capillary wall which increases the rate of diffusion for gas exchange. which would make sense due to histamine relaxing the the trachea during exercise, it's all about getting oxygen into your cells as quickly as possible. i think :L

Histamine does not relax the smooth muscle durng exercise. In fact it does the opposite. Histamine is a hormone which causes inflammation (there are drugs known as antihistamines that reduce inflamation by blocking the receptors on cells that bind to histamine molecules).
omg reading through all of what you guys have written in the exam... i have miserably failed :frown:
can someone tell me what that 5mark question answer was? i thought i did good writing about cohesion and adhesion? but was that not correct ? :frown:
Reply 855
Original post by miss-pink09
omg reading through all of what you guys have written in the exam... i have miserably failed :frown:
can someone tell me what that 5mark question answer was? i thought i did good writing about cohesion and adhesion? but was that not correct ? :frown:

Yeah it is correct. We can never be sure what specific words they are looking for and how linient the mark scheme is going to be. But I think that talking about cohesion, adhesion and tension (aka suction or transpiration pull) and the brief structure of the xylem vessels and water rising as a continuous column would be good enough for 4/5 methinks. Well I hope so...

I have just realised that I made 2 spelling mistakes (not in key words though) in this question. Does it mean I won't get the QWC mark?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dim0nIX
Yeah it is correct. We can never be sure what specific words they are looking for and how linient the mark scheme is going to be. But I think that talking about cohesion, adhesion and tension (aka suction or transpiration pull) and the brief structure of the xylem vessels and water rising as a continuous column would be good enough for 4/5 methinks. Well I hope so...

I have just realised that I made 2 spelling mistakes (not in key words though) in this question. Does it mean I won't get the QWC mark?

oh my .. sounds like i finally got something rightt =D
im sure you would get the QWC mark, i think its just vital for the key words.

also you know the Qu about water moving out of the leaves or whatever..
im not sure if i read the Qu correct becoz i did it quite quick but i wrote evotranspiration... thats not right isit :frown: the answer is osmosis aint it :frown:
Reply 857
Original post by miss-pink09
oh my .. sounds like i finally got something rightt =D
im sure you would get the QWC mark, i think its just vital for the key words.

also you know the Qu about water moving out of the leaves or whatever..
im not sure if i read the Qu correct becoz i did it quite quick but i wrote evotranspiration... thats not right isit :frown: the answer is osmosis aint it :frown:

Yeah I think it is osmosis. Where do you people get those fancy words from. A few mins. ago some1 came up with endopinocytosis now its evotranspiration lol! I have never seen any of those in the OCR textbook. :s-smilie: But nevermind... try and find out what you got right rather than what you got wrong, its always harder because human brain has that tendency to remember the mistakes better than the right answers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dim0nIX
Yeah I think it is osmosis. Where do you people get those fancy words from. A few mins. ago some1 came up with endopinocytosis now its evotranspiration lol! I have never seen any of those in the OCR textbook. :s-smilie: But nevermind... try and find out what you got right rather than what you got wrong, its always harder because human brain has that tendency to remember the mistakes better than the right answers.

lol yeah i read that earlier up the thread.. i was proper confused..
but no since i was reading up about the other answers .. i really did very bad ...
i messed up that phloem/xylem/cambium one because i thought that was the root..
i left out atleast 5 or 6 marks worth of questions because i had a mind blank..
i didnt know anything about histamine.. i made up everything....
and neutrophils i kind of made up stuff from random information i knew about lysosomes :/
oh wow i really failed this is the 2nd time ive re-sat and im not doing well
in jan last year i got a C .. like 2 marks away from a B. resat in june .. got a couple marks less but still a C... i was hoping for atleast a B.. but im not going to get it now :frown:
Reply 859
For the cytoskeleton i put vesicles transport substances around cell in and out, something like that. is that right? (i put something else as well it was a 2 marker)

5 marks for the transpiration question! what was there to say?
I mean i mentioned as molecules are lost at the top by evaporation to to high potential of water to low potential, this moves the water column up, mentioning cohesion adhesion that crap.. what else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending