The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SamF1992
Another Wadham offer holder (PPE) here, no UCAS update for me, nor any of the people who I know who are also Wadham offer holders.

Got updated today or possiby yesterday :biggrin: Did youu?
And awesome! Was it your first choice too? What do you think of the college?
Original post by Lumi Nous

Original post by Lumi Nous
Yeah, I had a day in Oxford and had to narrow down the colleges based on fleeting glimpses. Hertford seemed friendly. Sadly I did not get to see Mansfield!

Well, nobody expects you to have seen every place :-) I myself made a short list of favourites before applying based on what I found online (I'm rather sure it included Hertford) and then pretty much chose randomly.

I've only seen two colleges from the inside even now. I would have had time to visit any number of colleges between interviews, but I preferred to stroll around the city centre instead. (when I wasn't hanging around at Mansfield that is)
Reply 562
I'm pretty late to this thread, but who cares...

History and Politics at St Hilda's (AAA) ... SOOOO scared I'll mess up and not achieve the grades... hopefully I'll get there though. Pretty excited!
Reply 563
Original post by frequent_flyer
Got updated today or possiby yesterday :biggrin: Did youu?
And awesome! Was it your first choice too? What do you think of the college?

Mine was updated yesterday also :smile:

Yep, it was my first choice and I absolutely loved it!
Original post by SamF1992
Mine was updated yesterday also :smile:

Yep, it was my first choice and I absolutely loved it!

ISN'T IT SO AMAZING
from the huge leather sofas in the JCR down to the beanbags in the library and the fridges in our rooms, and the whole atmosphere is so different to all the other colleges!!
Were you there when we played that massive game of spoons with the coffee stirrers? :biggrin:
Reply 565
Original post by stefan001
I'm pretty late to this thread, but who cares...

History and Politics at St Hilda's (AAA) ... SOOOO scared I'll mess up and not achieve the grades... hopefully I'll get there though. Pretty excited!

Stefan! (It's Jack, History/English at Pembroke).
I will be making sure that my college has a cat :u: /obsessed
Reply 566
and the whole atmosphere [at Wadham] is so different to all the other colleges!!

That's one way of putting it. :shifty:
Reply 567
ISN'T IT SO AMAZING
from the huge leather sofas in the JCR down to the beanbags in the library and the fridges in our rooms, and the whole atmosphere is so different to all the other colleges!!
Were you there when we played that massive game of spoons with the coffee stirrers? :biggrin:

Yeah, it does have a really good atmosphere, I found some of the other colleges to feel a bit overbearing and stuffy, but Wadham is just so relaxed and and friendly.

I don't think I was there for that, no, being a PPE'ist I'd have been the part of the first group there. so I probably left before that happened, sounds fun though! :biggrin:

I really can't wait to go now.

And to be sure I don't offend anyone from any other colleges, I don't in any way see my first impression of your colleges as representative of what they're actually like :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by BJack
That's one way of putting it. :shifty:

lol what do you mean?
Another UCAS update? Oh, it's just Southampton
Reply 570
UCAS updated! Finally it all feels real! :smile:
Has anyone noticed that this thread has 28500+ views?
:biggrin: wpwp UCAS has updated! This is so cool.
Original post by RupertTheBear

Has anyone noticed that this thread has 28500+ views?

No. What does that tell us? How many lurkers are there? Who are the lurkers? What proportion of the lurkers have posted in this thread? Do tens of thousands of people come here expecting intelligent debate? (ha-ha)
Reply 574
Ok. Taking a look at some of these offers, one guy got a conditional offer of A*AA for Law at one of the oxford colleges.

I'm getting kinda inspired by some of these offers, but I think I'm being completely misguided in my chances.

Be blunt with me.

GCSES: A*A*AAAABBCCDD
As Levels: History, Politics, English, Psychology (dropping politics)

Just did exams today, probably having to resit Politics for an A due to lack of revision.

But feel like a fresh start is about to happen and encouraged by history and psychology exams.

I go to a sixth form college in Leeds.

Have I got any chance, at all of getting an offer in the hypothetical situation I do well on LNAT and have a very good personal statement..

Please be blunt.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by freezombie
No. What does that tell us? How many lurkers are there? Who are the lurkers? What proportion of the lurkers have posted in this thread? Do tens of thousands of people come here expecting intelligent debate? (ha-ha)

I doubt it, if that's true I feel bad talking about cats

I doubt it, if that's true I feel bad talking about cats

oi! don't dis on the cats!
Original post by mgarta11
Ok. Taking a look at some of these offers, one guy got a conditional offer of A*AA for Law at one of the oxford colleges.

I'm getting kinda inspired by some of these offers, but I think I'm being completely misguided in my chances.

Be blunt with me.

GCSES: A*A*AAAABBCCDD
As Levels: History, Politics, English, Psychology (dropping politics)

Just did exams today, probably having to resit Politics for an A due to lack of revision.

But feel like a fresh start is about to happen and encouraged by history and psychology exams.

I go to a sixth form college in Leeds.

Have I got any chance, at all of getting an offer in the hypothetical situation I do well on LNAT and have a very good personal statement..

Please be blunt.

In all honesty, your GCSE grades are poor if you're thinking about Oxford (it's those C's and D's and only 2A*s). However if you do sublimely well in terms of UMS at AS Level and in the LNAT you could have a chance.
Reply 578
Honestly zero. Your chance of an interview alone elt an offer is non existant. Reason being they interview those with the highest number of A*'s. Try Cambridge...but it will still be very hard there as well.

Edit: I got negs because I was being honest with him on what I thought. He even said be blunt with him...jeez. Thats the last time I be truthfull on here.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 579
how much do resits knock chances of getting in? Not just Russel Group Unis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending