The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

I'm guessing the answer will be no, but has anyone received an offer for Law? If not, anyone know when the offers have tended to go out in previous years? I got the letter saying Jan-mid March but the wait is killing me :|
I'm literally desperate to hear from Bristol since (like a lot of other applicants, it appears) this was my first choice after Oxford, and I got a rejection from them after interview. I'm honestly dying to go to this uni and fell in love when I went there before. Would honestly considering taking a gap year if I got rejected from Bristol too.
Also, on another note, are there any decent places that play rock music in Bristol, other than the O2 academy?
Thanks, and good luck all! :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by jthlm
Exactly! I hope they don't assume that I've got an offer at Oxford (haha, unlikely :P) and so reject me... :frown: And so many people have applied and I don't think my application stands out at all. Pretty much everyone seems to have all As at A-Level and more A*s than me at GCSE so I can't even imagine why they'd pick me. Which gives me no hope :frown:

I feel exactly the same! Oh we are a hopeless bunch! :rolleyes: Good luck good luck good luck.
Reply 662
Original post by writerwho~
I feel exactly the same! Oh we are a hopeless bunch! :rolleyes: Good luck good luck good luck.

Good luck to you too!! I am liking all the Oxford and Bristol applicants we have here, you all must have very good taste :wink: hahaha. And even if we are a hopeless bunch, at least everyone is nice and supportive. It makes me happy to think that if heaven forbid I don't get in, at least hopefully some nice people will... :cute:
Original post by jthlm
Good luck to you too!! I am liking all the Oxford and Bristol applicants we have here, you all must have very good taste :wink: hahaha. And even if we are a hopeless bunch, at least everyone is nice and supportive. It makes me happy to think that if heaven forbid I don't get in, at least hopefully some nice people will... :cute:

Awh, same here! Do you think you'll reapply for Bristol (if not Oxford) if you don't get in this year? Have you got offers from elsewhere? :smile:
Casual rejection from Bristol :wink:
Apparently no-one from my school's got into Bristol in the last five years though, so I probably should have seen it coming... Good luck to everyone else!
Original post by frequent_flyer
Apparently no-one from my school's got into Bristol in the last five years though, so I probably should have seen it coming... Good luck to everyone else!

Sorry to hear that... BUT you have an Oxford offer so... :rolleyes:
Sorry to hear that... BUT you have an Oxford offer so... :rolleyes:

yeah, there is that :colone:
Still a little bit frustrating though, like when someone breaks up with you before you have the chance to dump them first!
I'm gonna have a rejectory pancake to celebrate the end of our relationship :wink:

Oh and serious congratulations and kudos for anyone who gets in for psychology!

Oh man, if you didn't get in then I have nooo chance. Sorry to hear that but I expect you're not too bothered! :tongue:
Original post by hayheyley
Oh man, if you didn't get in then I have nooo chance. Sorry to hear that but I expect you're not too bothered! :tongue:

Remember that I'm not predicted any A*s despite going to a school where most people get A*s, and Bristol hates my school, and one of my three A levels is theatre studies.
I'm sure you still have as much of a chance as anyone if not more, because you seem very bright to me :biggrin:
Remember that I'm not predicted any A*s despite going to a school where most people get A*s, and Bristol hates my school, and one of my three A levels is theatre studies.
I'm sure you still have as much of a chance as anyone if not more, because you seem very bright to me :biggrin:

I'm not sure how much people attention universities pay to A vs A* though because there is a significant discrepancy between different schools' attitude to predicting one rather than the other (and I'm only predicted one :ninja:). Oh yes I remember seeing a while ago that you're taking theatre studies but that just shows how much more intelligent you must be if you can overcome that bias to get an Oxford offer!

Thank you for being nice but I wouldn't be at all surprised if I get rejected... but maybe it won't be too long to wait if they are making decisions now. :hmmm:
Original post by hayheyley
I'm not sure how much people attention universities pay to A vs A* though because there is a significant discrepancy between different schools' attitude to predicting one rather than the other (and I'm only predicted one :ninja:). Oh yes I remember seeing a while ago that you're taking theatre studies but that just shows how much more intelligent you must be if you can overcome that bias to get an Oxford offer!

Thank you for being nice but I wouldn't be at all surprised if I get rejected... but maybe it won't be too long to wait if they are making decisions now. :hmmm:

Well I know Oxford really didn't care about A*s this year (although they're introducing them in offers next cycle!!!!) but for all the other unis it just kinda says ''I'm not in the top 50% of people at my school'' which isn't really a good signal to send out. Mine only predicted people A*s if they got 90% UMS at AS, there was absolutely no lenience with that even though I got 87 and 88 in two of my subjects :mad:

Aww, that's really kind of you to say! Actually I was careful to apply to a college where the tutor is well known for not caring about things like Theatre Studies :colone:
Original post by LazyCookie
I'm guessing the answer will be no, but has anyone received an offer for Law? If not, anyone know when the offers have tended to go out in previous years? I got the letter saying Jan-mid March but the wait is killing me :|

I have an offer for Law! :smile: (International; got my offer in mid-November). There are home students with law offers too. So don't set too much store by the stated March offer period - you could well get an offer much earlier!

Good luck everyone!
Well I know Oxford really didn't care about A*s this year (although they're introducing them in offers next cycle!!!!) but for all the other unis it just kinda says ''I'm not in the top 50% of people at my school'' which isn't really a good signal to send out. Mine only predicted people A*s if they got 90% UMS at AS, there was absolutely no lenience with that even though I got 87 and 88 in two of my subjects :mad:

Aww, that's really kind of you to say! Actually I was careful to apply to a college where the tutor is well known for not caring about things like Theatre Studies :colone:

Oh dear I didn't know about that... my sixth form is the same re. A* predictions, even though they knew I had extenuating circumstances which in the end didn't get included on my reference. I'm so nervous now :s-smilie:

Well that is just another example of your intelligence! :biggrin:
Hey guys

Has anyone here had a Dentistry interview at Bristol? What was it like? What kind of questions? I read that they ask you to write an essay, could someone let me know what kind of topics the essay is on? And what did you take to show manual dexterity?

Any info you can PM me will be really helpful. Thanks!
Reply 674
Awh, same here! Do you think you'll reapply for Bristol (if not Oxford) if you don't get in this year? Have you got offers from elsewhere? :smile:

I've got an offer from Sussex, but nowhere else yet. Most of mine seem to be waiting for the UCAS deadline, and it's getting me so nervous haha. You? If I do apply again next year, I would probably apply to Bristol but then other universities I didn't choose this year that I regret, like UCL and Durham (although they are just as competitive!) I also really want to look at American universities though it's probably unlikely that I'd want to go so far away aha. :smile: But I don't really want to reapply... I don't want the fees and the added debt, and to be honest I couldn't take rejection two years in a row. :/ What about you, would you reapply?
Original post by jthlm
I've got an offer from Sussex, but nowhere else yet. Most of mine seem to be waiting for the UCAS deadline, and it's getting me so nervous haha. You? If I do apply again next year, I would probably apply to Bristol but then other universities I didn't choose this year that I regret, like UCL and Durham (although they are just as competitive!) I also really want to look at American universities though it's probably unlikely that I'd want to go so far away aha. :smile: But I don't really want to reapply... I don't want the fees and the added debt, and to be honest I couldn't take rejection two years in a row. :/ What about you, would you reapply?

I feel pretty much the same! I have offers from Royal Holloway and Cardiff but I'm not entirely happy with them. If I don't get into Bristol I will be very tempted to reapply for Oxford and Bristol again, along with maybe York and King's London, both of which I didn't really look into this time round. Although, like you, I don't much like the look of the higher fees. I also don't want to miss out on where I want to go again and have to pay that much more only to be accepted by places I don't really want to go to again! :rolleyes:

Sorry to butt in, but how did you find this out? I'm thinking of reapplying and I don't think my Sociology A-level went down too well...
Reply 677
Original post by AlexIsMyHero
Sorry, to join your conversation...

I applied for Biology too (sent on the 7th October) and have heard nothing aswell! I think they're waiting for the 15th deadline, but it would of been nice of them to tell me that. Have you heard anything, or even an acknowledgment from the Biology department?

I'm sure your grades will be fine, I hear they put a lot of weight on the personal statment at Bristol, which panics me as I keep finding mistakes on it, or things I could have written better :s-smilie:

Where else have you applied, if you don't mind me asking?

I've heard that they've already accepted and rejected a few for biology... think I got acknowledged, but not by the biology department. I'm really pissed off about my maths B...1 UMS off an A, I ruined it by getting a C in my decision exam haha.

Applied for:
Human Sciences at Oxford, rejected post-interview there (It updated on my track today, I thought it was Bristol and initially died a bit inside).

Biology at...
York (ABB)
St Andrews (acknowledged)
Edinburgh (acknowledged)
Bristol (acknowledged)

Eek, as for the personal statement... I read somewhere that they don't like you being too geared towards the natural history side of things... which I may have dominated my intro with... a little. Where else have you replied?
Original post by Laura134
I've heard that they've already accepted and rejected a few for biology... think I got acknowledged, but not by the biology department. I'm really pissed off about my maths B...1 UMS off an A, I ruined it by getting a C in my decision exam haha. QUOTE]

Yes that's right! I got an offer just before Christmas AAB.

I am sure you will find out very soon!
Reply 679
Economics (L100) AAB offer (+BB in C3/C4)
Well chuffed.... definately first choice!
:party:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending