The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cpdavis
It's strange, everyone here applying to do Maths got offers :woo:

I was wondering that too. Either Emmanuel have given out no rejections for maths, or we've been very lucky this year. :iiam:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Phil_Waite
I was wondering that too. Either Emmanuel have given out no rejections for maths, or we've been very lucky this year. :iiam:

Maybe most of the people who got offers are TSR users :biggrin: Can I ask, when was your interview?
Original post by cpdavis
Maybe most of the people who got offers are TSR users :biggrin: Can I ask, when was your interview?

It was on the 6th December, starting at 2pm.
Does anyone know how much each of the different grades of room cost to rent for the year?
Does anyone know how much each of the different grades of room cost to rent for the year?

http://www.ecsu.org.uk/current_students/accommodation/rents_and_charges

http://www.ecsu.org.uk/current_students/accommodation/rents_and_charges

EDIT: beaten to it :p:
Reply 1246
Original post by Asboob
Ooh me too :biggrin: where in Yorkshire are you from? You're one of the first fellow northerners I think I've found! Everyone having their interviews the same day as me that I talked to seemed very southern :tongue:

Oh God, I know! There were loads of people sat around in suits speaking Latin when I came in for my interview. I was sat there thinking '... I go to a state school, I have a Yorkshire accent, and I don't speak a word of Latin! Will this be a problem?' But it wasn't, so it's all good :biggrin:

I'm from near Hull! (It is a lovely, lovely place...) Whereabouts are you from?

It's quite impressive how many Emma maths offers there seem to be on here - obviously there's a link between manically updating TSR with your every bit of UCAS information, and being attractive to Emma :wink:
Original post by kerily
Oh God, I know! There were loads of people sat around in suits speaking Latin when I came in for my interview. I was sat there thinking '... I go to a state school, I have a Yorkshire accent, and I don't speak a word of Latin! Will this be a problem?' But it wasn't, so it's all good :biggrin:

It's quite impressive how many Emma maths offers there seem to be on here - obviously there's a link between manically updating TSR with your every bit of UCAS information, and being attractive to Emma :wink:

Lol, if it's any consolation I don't think I've ever been involved in a conversation that took place in Latin, although there tends to be a fair number of foreign languages bandied around (like everyone can speak French, except me - and I'm a linguist :frown:).
Reply 1249
Original post by Zoedotdot
Lol, if it's any consolation I don't think I've ever been involved in a conversation that took place in Latin, although there tends to be a fair number of foreign languages bandied around (like everyone can speak French, except me - and I'm a linguist :frown:).

We were sat in the hall eating breakfast, and then someone was like 'I wonder what the wifi password here is?' and someone else was like 'I bet it's 'password' in Latin' and then that started them off talking about what it could have been, and it went from there. It's not an anti-Latin bias on my point, more a '... my God, everyone is far posher than I am' feeling :tongue: But everyone seems to be really, really friendly, so it's all good! And I do speak German, so it's ok, I won't be restricted to the one language :smile:
Question: what are the chances of getting an en-suite room as a fresher?
Original post by a daedalus
Question: what are the chances of getting an en-suite room as a fresher?

None, unless you have some kind of disability or special needs that necessitates it. You have to be lucky in the ballot to get an ensuite even for second and third years.

Some of the North Court rooms do have toilets/showers right next to them though, but it's still shared with other people.
Original post by kerily
We were sat in the hall eating breakfast, and then someone was like 'I wonder what the wifi password here is?' and someone else was like 'I bet it's 'password' in Latin' and then that started them off talking about what it could have been, and it went from there. It's not an anti-Latin bias on my point, more a '... my God, everyone is far posher than I am' feeling :tongue: But everyone seems to be really, really friendly, so it's all good! And I do speak German, so it's ok, I won't be restricted to the one language :smile:

Haha, the password is something much better than that :wink: Definitely not in Latin! I do still occasionally get a bit of a wahhh, this is so posh feeling - I'm a southerner but from a comprehensive, but mostly I don't actually notice any difference in wealth or background at all. I had to work harder to catch up when I arrived I think, because the language teaching at my school was definitely not up to par, but the only time I really notice anything now is when my friends all jet off to exotic locations in the holidays without having to get a job first, and when I visit their houses. I remember turning up to my friend's house for the first time and being so intimidated by how huge it was that myself and another friend didn't ask where a spare bedroom was and just fell asleep on a sofa in his games console room because we thought we'd get lost otherwise :p: And the same friend discovered literally six months ago that he had a secret wine cellar that was accessed through a trapdoor in a random cupboard - just gives you an impression of how huge it really is! But I had no idea he was that wealthy until I went to his house, at which point I'd known him for well over a year :smile:
Reply 1253
Original post by kerily

That's pretty much what I was thinking! Minus the Latin bit, thankfully I didn't hear anyone speaking Latin. What date was your interview?

I'm from near Middlesbrough, i.e. the scummiest place in the country :colondollar: I got asked by one of the undergraduates showing people around if I was from Scotland though! So God knows what my accent sounds like...I still think Emma have made a terrible mistake in giving me an offer you know, my interviews were pretty bad :s-smilie:
Original post by Asboob
That's pretty much what I was thinking! Minus the Latin bit, thankfully I didn't hear anyone speaking Latin. What date was your interview?

I'm from near Middlesbrough, i.e. the scummiest place in the country :colondollar: I got asked by one of the undergraduates showing people around if I was from Scotland though! So God knows what my accent sounds like...I still think Emma have made a terrible mistake in giving me an offer you know, my interviews were pretty bad :s-smilie:

I have a friend from Middlesbrough at Emma, you will have company :p: Everyone thinks their offer was a mistake. I've spent two years at the place and gained very decent 2.is both years and am still convinced that I somehow slipped through the net!
Reply 1255
Original post by Zoedotdot
Haha, the password is something much better than that :wink: Definitely not in Latin! I do still occasionally get a bit of a wahhh, this is so posh feeling - I'm a southerner but from a comprehensive, but mostly I don't actually notice any difference in wealth or background at all. I had to work harder to catch up when I arrived I think, because the language teaching at my school was definitely not up to par, but the only time I really notice anything now is when my friends all jet off to exotic locations in the holidays without having to get a job first, and when I visit their houses. I remember turning up to my friend's house for the first time and being so intimidated by how huge it was that myself and another friend didn't ask where a spare bedroom was and just fell asleep on a sofa in his games console room because we thought we'd get lost otherwise :p: And the same friend discovered literally six months ago that he had a secret wine cellar that was accessed through a trapdoor in a random cupboard - just gives you an impression of how huge it really is! But I had no idea he was that wealthy until I went to his house, at which point I'd known him for well over a year :smile:

I am really impressed that you can have a part of your own house which you don't know about yourself because your house is that huge :tongue: But as long as everyone's nice and talks about things other than how posh they are, I'm sure it'll be fine. It's just a bit of a culture shock. (Also, congrats on getting in for languages even if your school had bad language teaching. My friend applied for English and French at Oxford, and her school doesn't have a language assistant or any native French speakers and hardly does any speaking practice, so she got a bad grade in the speaking, and her referee refused to mention the reasons why in her reference, so they only gave her an offer for English. Makes me glad that we have an actual German to talk to :smile:)

Original post by Asboob

I arrived there on the night of the 8th and had an interview on the 9th, what about you? And wow, somewhere with a more horrible reputation than Hull! It'll be nice to hear some short vowels coming from someone other than me :biggrin: Although I don't have a Hull accent, luckily; more of a generic Yorkshire/northern one. You should have told them you were Scottish and seen how long you could keep that one up for :wink: It's ok, I'm sure everyone's convinced their interviews were dreadful - I had to say 'It's 300 over 15, but I'm not sure if 15 goes into 300 or not without a calculator' at one point and mysteriously I still have an offer :awesome:
Reply 1256
Original post by ukdragon37

What is there in the way of hobs and stuff to cook with whilst living in first year accomodation? I'm getting vibes that all my efforts to perfect the making of a heavenly curry this year are going to go to waste! :eek:
Original post by bircho
What is there in the way of hobs and stuff to cook with whilst living in first year accomodation? I'm getting vibes that all my efforts to perfect the making of a heavenly curry this year are going to go to waste! :eek:

I'm afraid you'll likely to get the standard gyp room fare - microwave, cupboards and a sink :s-smilie: I haven't heard of any first years having hobs.
Original post by bircho

No hobs for first years. There is an actual reason for this - council regulations dictate that in order for a college kitchen to contain a hob the room has to be of certain dimensions, and Emma first year accommodation sadly doesn't meet those criteria. Or something like that anyway. Obviously hot plates or electric hobs in rooms are banned. But sometimes you might have a nice bedder who has certain blind spots. Still, it's a fire hazard so people rarely bother. You'll be surprised how well you learn to cook with a microwave, and of course there's always hall :smile:
Hi, venturing onto a new thread here... glad to say (results permitted) I should be joining Emma in october as a medicine undergrad!! :biggrin:
Any current medicine students around? I seem to remember my helpers (who were very helpful) were Claire and Lyndsey - sorry if the names are spelt wrong.

Congratulations everyone for getting in! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending