The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Best Hallam Accomodatioin?

Hi i was looking on the website and saw some nice looking places i.e. Trigon, The Forge and The Anvil. I was just wondering where the best place to stay would be, including the other halls?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ghana-Gooner
Hi i was looking on the website and saw some nice looking places i.e. Trigon, The Forge and The Anvil. I was just wondering where the best place to stay would be, including the other halls?

heyyy im also considering the forge...the trigon and also the pinnacles. as i think they are prob the best accom sheff hallam has :/ :smile:
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
i've herd some bad things about the forge :/
im considering going to victoria hall or trigon :smile:
Victoria Hall and Trigon are by far and away the best overall.
Reply 4
I'm moving in the Trigon next month, so so so scared!!
Reply 5
I looked round some of the accom at Hallam - Trigon was my first choice, but the Forge was pretty good too and both so near campus.... Generally seemed really nice there......Never ended up going though as I met my partner, decided at the last min to cancel my choices and went somewhere else closer through clearing..:tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hud-tomli
i've herd some bad things about the forge :/
im considering going to victoria hall or trigon :smile:

yeah alot of people are saying 'they've hearo bad stuff aoout the forge'. What kind of bad stuff is this? :smile:
Reply 7
heard* about*
My son started at Hallam in September and went into this accommodation http://www.crm-students.com/student-accommodation/uk/sheffield/37/park-student-village/

He's already paid his deposit for next year as he's that impressed with the place. Cheaper than halls, but the same 'feel' as the whole estate is student accommodation with a good mix of first year students and older students. Same distance from Uni as places like the Forge, and close to the tram stop.
anybody know what kings chambers is like?
i have a friend at the forge and he says it has bad management, e.g if something breaks they wont fix it. Ive also heard of rat/bug infestations, but I havnt seen any to really say. What I would suggest is dont rule out the ones a bit further away. Im at Charlotte court and its lovely, theres always a flat party somewhere and the management are quite good with getting things fixed. it is a more expensive place but its nice. Also be careful because when you apply you dont always get given your first, or either of your choices. Its a first come first serve basis and if you dont get your form in quick and your picking a popular place ur less likely to get them. For us it seemed the popular places were The forge, the trigon and leadmill i think, if you have any other questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by beatrix_freya
i have a friend at the forge and he says it has bad management, e.g if something breaks they wont fix it. Ive also heard of rat/bug infestations, but I havnt seen any to really say. What I would suggest is dont rule out the ones a bit further away. Im at Charlotte court and its lovely, theres always a flat party somewhere and the management are quite good with getting things fixed. it is a more expensive place but its nice. Also be careful because when you apply you dont always get given your first, or either of your choices. Its a first come first serve basis and if you dont get your form in quick and your picking a popular place ur less likely to get them. For us it seemed the popular places were The forge, the trigon and leadmill i think, if you have any other questions feel free to ask :smile:

have u been to victoria hall before?
whats it like and are there shops and stuff close by?
x
Reply 12
Original post by Ghana-Gooner

Hey, I don't actually go to Hallam but I live in Sheffield :smile: If you're not bothered about going in halls, the accommodation around the Sheffield United ground is usually fairly cheap and pretty decent. It's also about a 10 minute walk from the university and the train+bus stations.

Oh and I'm asuming you probably already know about bus fares and things but, in case you don't, your student card gets you 50p fares on the Stagecoach busses :biggrin:
I'm mainly mentioning this in case you think of moving to the Ecclesall road area - I imagine it's a pain to walk it everyday.
Reply 13
Original post by mightymiller
My son started at Hallam in September and went into this accommodation http://www.crm-students.com/student-accommodation/uk/sheffield/37/park-student-village/

He's already paid his deposit for next year as he's that impressed with the place. Cheaper than halls, but the same 'feel' as the whole estate is student accommodation with a good mix of first year students and older students. Same distance from Uni as places like the Forge, and close to the tram stop.

I visited that with my boyfriend. It is nice but we found it really small :/ They had one small shower room for a house with about 8 people in it :s-smilie:

- Also, some of the houses here are privately owned and rented to students and the others are owned by the university. One of the differences between them is that some don't have washing machines inside, so you have to use the laundrette in the "student village."
Reply 14
My friends didn't have the best experience of Norfolk Park. A burglary next door and mouldy bathroom downstairs and things. It's miles from Collegiate Crescent campus, and a good 20 minute walk (involving a big hill) to City.

The Forge is nice. It's big, better suited to someone who wants more of a social feel. I stayed there one summer when my building (The Anvil) was closed. I had one of the disabled-friendly rooms on the ground floor, which had a wet room style bathroom. The water would collect at the base of a little ramp every time I had a shower, and eventually spilled out onto the carpet. Nice! So yeah, avoid those style ensuites. It has a lot of facilities - there's a gym, common room, main reception. Sainsbury's Local, Subway, Greggs right on the premises and an Aldi across the road. Has both 3/4 double and single rooms. 10-15 minute walk to City Campus, the same to the city centre, and the same to Collegiate Campus.

The Anvil is where I live and I've been happy here so I've stayed for three years. All the rooms have 3/4 double beds. I live in a flat of 3 (though there are studios and flats of 5 as well), so it's relatively quiet (which suits me, as I'm 25, and I have to wake up at 6am a lot for placement). It's a 10 minute walk from City Campus, and a 20-30 minute walk to Collegiate depending how slow you are - but I walk it all the time happily. Nice and modern, warm, mostly quiet. Last night some silly person had their TV blaring at 2am with the window open and the sound carried right into my room - quick call to security sorted it.

The people who manage The Forge/The Anvil are a bit rubbish though. Never had maintenance problems at The Anvil, but they did forget to mention I needed to get my key re-programmed at the start of my summer tenency (so I was locked out) and again that September. They also wanted me to move out of The Forge over the summer by 10am at the latest but wouldn't release my room at The Anvil again until 12. Just daft admin things really, wasn't a big deal, but there's definitely a bit of "left hand not knowing what the right is doing" at times.

The Trigon I've heard good things about - very similar location to The Anvil so same sort of times for getting places. Again it's a new property.

Pinnacles is a bit more out of town the other way - I wouldn't live there if you were going to be based at Collegiate really, but it's meant to be nice.

Victoria Hall is bang in the middle of town, so food and shops are nearby - closest supermarket is probably a Tesco Express on Division Street which isn't far at all. It's easy to get to both campuses - I'd say Collegiate is probably a 15-20 min walk, and City is 10-15.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
the forge is expensive and the gym is small with mediocre facilites... good social life though... I think its about £100 a week
Reply 16
Hmmm, im thinking that my first choice will be Victoria Hall, as its in the middle of everything. then my 2nd choice might be Trigon, as thats near the uni and seems to be the best out of the ones around there!
Original post by jde-tv
Hmmm, im thinking that my first choice will be Victoria Hall, as its in the middle of everything. then my 2nd choice might be Trigon, as thats near the uni and seems to be the best out of the ones around there!

You are making a wise decision :cool:
Reply 18
Original post by mightymiller

you have to be incredibly careful about this end of town. as a female first year student I certainly would not recommend this accommodation. I went to look around Norfolk Park recently with a view to living there next year, but the fact that it seems to have more security than a high security prison scared me. It's also quite far out and not really in 'student ville' at all, so if you want to meet other people, it's probably better going into halls. Having said that, inside the accommodation was very nice.

I'm in the trigon this year and would love to recommend it to anyone. It's a 5 minute walk to hallam city campus and 10 minute walk into the centre of town, and it's all very modern. However, if you want to get into Trigon, make sure you apply as soon as you can, as it apparently receives the most applications of any of the halls.

There's been a lot of talk about the forge too, which is on a much much bigger scale (i think it has more than 1000 students) and a bit further out - you're looking at a 20 minute walk to city campus. However, this residence has the benefit of its own gym, a massive common room, and you can drive if you have a car as they have parking spaces.

A hidden gem is Anglo Works - on trippet lane. This is really nice modern accommodation - the flats even have dishwashers! It's bang in the centre of town as well - perfect if you're a bit of a party animal, but only 10 minute's walk from city campus. It's down a side road and so it's still quiet, but you're right in the middle of the centre which is very convenient. It's also not as expensive as trigon.

If anyone has any questions at all, please ask - I'll be happy to help if I can!
Reply 19
Original post by doodle!
you have to be incredibly careful about this end of town. as a female first year student I certainly would not recommend this accommodation. I went to look around Norfolk Park recently with a view to living there next year, but the fact that it seems to have more security than a high security prison scared me. It's also quite far out and not really in 'student ville' at all, so if you want to meet other people, it's probably better going into halls. Having said that, inside the accommodation was very nice.

I'm in the trigon this year and would love to recommend it to anyone. It's a 5 minute walk to hallam city campus and 10 minute walk into the centre of town, and it's all very modern. However, if you want to get into Trigon, make sure you apply as soon as you can, as it apparently receives the most applications of any of the halls.

There's been a lot of talk about the forge too, which is on a much much bigger scale (i think it has more than 1000 students) and a bit further out - you're looking at a 20 minute walk to city campus. However, this residence has the benefit of its own gym, a massive common room, and you can drive if you have a car as they have parking spaces.

A hidden gem is Anglo Works - on trippet lane. This is really nice modern accommodation - the flats even have dishwashers! It's bang in the centre of town as well - perfect if you're a bit of a party animal, but only 10 minute's walk from city campus. It's down a side road and so it's still quiet, but you're right in the middle of the centre which is very convenient. It's also not as expensive as trigon.

If anyone has any questions at all, please ask - I'll be happy to help if I can!

I've got an offer and hopefully I will be going in September, my course is based on the collegiate campus. What do you think would be the best accommodation?
I thought I would apply to the forge because when I saw trigon the guy said it was the same but larger. I spoke to someone about 2 weeks ago and he said that he found it difficult to make friends because it was such a big place. So now I'm really confused. What do you think would be best?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending