The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fungrus
Hello,

Well I have been in a relationship for over two years now and most of it was LD, I've just got back from seeing her. We were planning on living in a flat together next year while I finish my last year of Uni. Now that it's getting closer to actually ending the LDR I'm not sure if I can take moving in with someone. I just feel like 21 is too young to be getting so serious and committed. I know that a LDR is a commitment, but it's quite different to moving in together. But we also both don't want to carry on in a LDR, so it's either move in together or end it really.

Any thoughts appreciated. Would I be crazy to throw it all away after being in an LDR so long? I mean, how common is it for people to move in with their final partner at 21? I'm scared that I'll regret not really "having a life" before settling down, whatever that means really.

I know what you mean, I'm 21 now and if me and my boyfriend are still together when I finish uni in in the summer of 2012 then we will be moving in together. So I'll be a year older than you but it's practically the same thing! & sometimes I find myself thinking "maybe it's too soon, maybe I should have been spending this time going out and having fun with friends and maybe going from the distance to being in each other's pockets will be too much and I should leave it" but realistically when it's distance, that's the only option! (Maybe not all of the time but it will be for me and I'm guessing you too since I'll need to get a job before I can start paying rent on my own and I'd need to be in that area first before I could actually get a job!)

The thing is, when I think about it, all the what if's seem to be "maybe I should's, just by what society dictates etc. But actually, I'm very happy with him, I wouldn't want anyone else, and I certainly don't think I'd have been any happier by following the should's! So basically, just go with what your heart tells you - if it's your heart that's telling you you don't want to move in with her, then that's different. First take some time to work out whether it's down to cold feet or something more, and make sure you are being honest to your partner and your self :smile: Hope that helps!
Reply 5481
Ok, so this might seem like a completely horrible thing for me to say, but whilst you're apart from your partner, how do you deal with other temptations? I'm not saying I want to cheat on him because I really don't, but all my friends are at uni (as well as him), I'm on a gap year at home and this guy who I was casually seeing for about a year is still at home and tells me he still wants to see me and sometimes I do see him as a friend. I don't want to go any further though because I like my boyfriend so much, but it is so frustrating being here by myself whilst my boyfriend is at uni and I'm just so lonely. How can I pass the time when I don't see him and stop temptation happening?
Original post by Arielle
Ok, so this might seem like a completely horrible thing for me to say, but whilst you're apart from your partner, how do you deal with other temptations? I'm not saying I want to cheat on him because I really don't, but all my friends are at uni (as well as him), I'm on a gap year at home and this guy who I was casually seeing for about a year is still at home and tells me he still wants to see me and sometimes I do see him as a friend. I don't want to go any further though because I like my boyfriend so much, but it is so frustrating being here by myself whilst my boyfriend is at uni and I'm just so lonely. How can I pass the time when I don't see him and stop temptation happening?

Just think about how much it would hurt your boyfriend if anything did happen. If you love him, you would never dream about doing anything to hurt him.
Reply 5483
Original post by Arielle

Two words:

Dildo.
Vibrator.
I'm in a long distance relationship and my boyfriend is away for most of our next summer holiday (abroad). I'm happy he'll have such an amazing summer but I'm selfishly a little upset too because it's what I was looking forward to after our year of distance. (He's at uni, I'm at sixth form, both just started)

I just want to know how to deal with myself and my emotions in that period of time. One part of me is really jealous because my family can't afford that good holidays and I'm not going on one with my friends. I am going on holiday though so I can't complain.

Another part of me is like "damn all that time I could have spent with him, we're in an LDR it's hard enough already, how am I going to cope if we don't even get summers together now" and I'm going to be a mess because I get easilly paranoid and upset (if anyone has any advice for that that would be great). I also don't have that strong a friendship group (believe me, I'm sociable, I've tried) so I'm worried I'll be bored.

I know he wouldn't cheat, the other friends he's going with have girlfriends too and they're nice guys, but I always get really paranoid and six weeks apart...he might meet someone he likes more than me, but that's the same with any relationship or situation I guess.

I think getting a job would be a good idea and if I try and organise something with friends. But we'll have minimal contact and it's just a bummer really. Also please don't say "omg why is he choosing to be away from you?" because he's allowed these opportunities in life and in the future I want to go on amazing holidays with friends too.

If someone could give me some advice, that would be great :smile:
Reply 5485
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in a long distance relationship and my boyfriend is away for most of our next summer holiday (abroad). I'm happy he'll have such an amazing summer but I'm selfishly a little upset too because it's what I was looking forward to after our year of distance. (He's at uni, I'm at sixth form, both just started)

I just want to know how to deal with myself and my emotions in that period of time. One part of me is really jealous because my family can't afford that good holidays and I'm not going on one with my friends. I am going on holiday though so I can't complain.

Another part of me is like "damn all that time I could have spent with him, we're in an LDR it's hard enough already, how am I going to cope if we don't even get summers together now" and I'm going to be a mess because I get easilly paranoid and upset (if anyone has any advice for that that would be great). I also don't have that strong a friendship group (believe me, I'm sociable, I've tried) so I'm worried I'll be bored.

I know he wouldn't cheat, the other friends he's going with have girlfriends too and they're nice guys, but I always get really paranoid and six weeks apart...he might meet someone he likes more than me, but that's the same with any relationship or situation I guess.

I think getting a job would be a good idea and if I try and organise something with friends. But we'll have minimal contact and it's just a bummer really. Also please don't say "omg why is he choosing to be away from you?" because he's allowed these opportunities in life and in the future I want to go on amazing holidays with friends too.

If someone could give me some advice, that would be great :smile:

I am in a sort of similiar situation to you. I am on a gap year and my boyfriend is in his first year of uni which is over 3 hours away from where I live. We thought summer would be a great time to spend with each other however, I really want to go travelling for a month with one of my friends around Europe. It's something I've always wanted to do and I am still going to do it despite my boyfriend wanting to spend the summer with me.

So I can understand where your boyfriend is coming from and I know that I won't cheat on my boyfriend. To be honest, if you're travelling, there isn't a lot of chance to meet someone that you're going to want for a long term partner really. I bet he'll be thinking about you the whole time, too.

Just keep in contact as much as you can, text every day, just small ones to let you know you're thinking of each other. 6 weeks seems like a really long time, but its not. Plus, uni holidays are MILES long, so surely you'll be able to have some time together still?

With the "getting bored" thing, don't worry too much because I don't know how often you see him, but I see my boyfriend once a month so 6 weeks wouldn't be that far apart in my mind. Take up a hobby like I don't know, sailing, say, to keep you occupied for the summer, otherwise like you said, a job would be a really good idea. You could also make a new social life there, too.

Just have faith, don't think negatively, and it'll all be fine. Enjoy the time you do have together so that after the holiday, you'll be so happy to see him that you'll feel like the 6 weeks never happened...
Reply 5486
Original post by rhinger
Two words:

Dildo.
Vibrator.

Haha, not the same!
Original post by Arielle
I am in a sort of similiar situation to you. I am on a gap year and my boyfriend is in his first year of uni which is over 3 hours away from where I live. We thought summer would be a great time to spend with each other however, I really want to go travelling for a month with one of my friends around Europe. It's something I've always wanted to do and I am still going to do it despite my boyfriend wanting to spend the summer with me.

So I can understand where your boyfriend is coming from and I know that I won't cheat on my boyfriend. To be honest, if you're travelling, there isn't a lot of chance to meet someone that you're going to want for a long term partner really. I bet he'll be thinking about you the whole time, too.

Just keep in contact as much as you can, text every day, just small ones to let you know you're thinking of each other. 6 weeks seems like a really long time, but its not. Plus, uni holidays are MILES long, so surely you'll be able to have some time together still?

With the "getting bored" thing, don't worry too much because I don't know how often you see him, but I see my boyfriend once a month so 6 weeks wouldn't be that far apart in my mind. Take up a hobby like I don't know, sailing, say, to keep you occupied for the summer, otherwise like you said, a job would be a really good idea. You could also make a new social life there, too.

Just have faith, don't think negatively, and it'll all be fine. Enjoy the time you do have together so that after the holiday, you'll be so happy to see him that you'll feel like the 6 weeks never happened...

Thanks so much for your advice, I know you're right. However he's going with different people now and they might be girls; I don't know why I'm concerned, I think it's just paranoia. He's a moral guy and I trust him. I think it's like the being more afraid of planes than cars theory; car crashes happen more frequently but a crash in a plane is more devastating. He's more likely to break up with me for any other reason than cheating, but if he did cheat I know I'd be crushed and humiliated even though it's wayyy unlikely.

I dunno. I think my issues with this is more with myself and I need to work on that, like getting stronger a friendship group, not getting so easily upset and sorting myself out.
Hey TSR

I'm in upper sixth, that should give you an idea of my age, and I met a girl through a good friend (shes in lower sixth). After almost a year of chatting to her online and stuffs, she revealed her undying love for me (as you do), ditched her one month local boyfriend (who she resorted to dating due to believing i wasnt interested at all) and we met up again.

We are now 'in a relationship', my first in fact, as I have never been the luckiest of person with these things.

Im ragingly happy about it, dont get me wrong, shes beautiful, loves the same things as me, I trust her and enjoy her company immensely.

She lives down south and I live up in Essex. Its around 150 miles, which yes, is rather a long way (3 and a half hours by train)

Its only been a month but I havent seen her again yet due to exams, but have been worrying myself to death about how its all going to work out. I have told my parents and they dont really want to play a huge part in it all, but have no real problem (fair enough).

The things that are bothering me ...

Have I launched myself into a sealed deal relationship a little bit too early ... Should I have left it a little longer? A few more meet-ups to make sure I am ready for a long distance relationship? Obviously I cannot really fix this now, as I am with her, but it bothers me....

How often should I see her? Should I make it a regular thing? I was looking at the 16-25 railcards and advanced train tickets and I can get a return ticket that is usually £60 for £28... so I can sustain visits, with EMA and savings.

And mainly, should I have a point in the future where I can see this all going? I mean like, somehow me being closer to her?
(I will be going to uni in september, hopefully in london, which means I will only be an hour away opposed to the current 3 hours)

I know this seems all a bit early doors, but it is bothering me already, which obviously is not a good thing, so would seeing her more regularly help this? Or does it just become harder and harder everytime you see them then leave them again..... (hope not)

I have tried to just lightly touch a few issues like this with her but shes, very much into me, apparently has been for well over a year ... so she gets pretty upset rather quickly.

So basically, looking for some words of wisdom from some experienced LDR'ers, on how you cope, what its like in general etc.

Thankyou, it helps to get this stuff out somewhere, even if it is anonymously on tsr :P oh, and sorry for the length, im feeling rather conversational for such an early hour .... :P
Original post by utsav55
Hi!

1st year at Univ.
I think I am homesick and very serious.

I can't concentrate on my work, studies and other things which some other guys are enjoying.
I thought, after sometime I'll be OK but it doesn't seem so now.
I have mostly tears dropping from my eyes, and I try to hide it from others. When I think about this, I don't really have an answer to myself as why am I crying.
I don't know what to do.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Sorry to break it to you but wrong thread, bro.
Reply 5490
Original post by staring.space
Sorry to break it to you but wrong thread, bro.

Alright. I deleted my post.
Hey TSR

I'm in upper sixth, that should give you an idea of my age, and I met a girl through a good friend (shes in lower sixth). After almost a year of chatting to her online and stuffs, she revealed her undying love for me (as you do), ditched her one month local boyfriend (who she resorted to dating due to believing i wasnt interested at all) and we met up again.

We are now 'in a relationship', my first in fact, as I have never been the luckiest of person with these things.

Im ragingly happy about it, dont get me wrong, shes beautiful, loves the same things as me, I trust her and enjoy her company immensely.

She lives down south and I live up in Essex. Its around 150 miles, which yes, is rather a long way (3 and a half hours by train)

Its only been a month but I havent seen her again yet due to exams, but have been worrying myself to death about how its all going to work out. I have told my parents and they dont really want to play a huge part in it all, but have no real problem (fair enough).

The things that are bothering me ...

Have I launched myself into a sealed deal relationship a little bit too early ... Should I have left it a little longer? A few more meet-ups to make sure I am ready for a long distance relationship? Obviously I cannot really fix this now, as I am with her, but it bothers me....

How often should I see her? Should I make it a regular thing? I was looking at the 16-25 railcards and advanced train tickets and I can get a return ticket that is usually £60 for £28... so I can sustain visits, with EMA and savings.

And mainly, should I have a point in the future where I can see this all going? I mean like, somehow me being closer to her?
(I will be going to uni in september, hopefully in london, which means I will only be an hour away opposed to the current 3 hours)

I know this seems all a bit early doors, but it is bothering me already, which obviously is not a good thing, so would seeing her more regularly help this? Or does it just become harder and harder everytime you see them then leave them again..... (hope not)

I have tried to just lightly touch a few issues like this with her but shes, very much into me, apparently has been for well over a year ... so she gets pretty upset rather quickly.

So basically, looking for some words of wisdom from some experienced LDR'ers, on how you cope, what its like in general etc.

Thankyou, it helps to get this stuff out somewhere, even if it is anonymously on tsr :P oh, and sorry for the length, im feeling rather conversational for such an early hour .... :P

I was in and LDR for around 6 months before I moved to where my (now) wife is. I know from experiance that the more you realise you love someone and know you cannot live without them, the harder it is when you have to see them for a short while. It almost tore me and my wife apart, but we had to persevere and just know that although it was painful, things would get better. One important thing you need to consider is do you honestly see yourself with the person in 5 years time. Can you see yourself settling down and having a family with them?

When I asked my wife out, we were living 250 miles away and there seemed like there was no way we would ever be close to one another. On the that night I made a promise to her that with 5 months I would move up to live with her. Now on the basis if that promise she said yes and I kept that promise and moved up within that time frame. I was prepared to uproot myself and move up to be with her and I have never regretted my decision. I am one of the few, where my LDR has been successful. You need to be sure that you truely want to be with her and that you mean it when you tell her. For all the pain of your breif meetings, it will only get harder the longer you are together whilst being apart.
Original post by kingrudding
I was in and LDR for around 6 months before I moved to where my (now) wife is. I know from experiance that the more you realise you love someone and know you cannot live without them, the harder it is when you have to see them for a short while. It almost tore me and my wife apart, but we had to persevere and just know that although it was painful, things would get better. One important thing you need to consider is do you honestly see yourself with the person in 5 years time. Can you see yourself settling down and having a family with them?

When I asked my wife out, we were living 250 miles away and there seemed like there was no way we would ever be close to one another. On the that night I made a promise to her that with 5 months I would move up to live with her. Now on the basis if that promise she said yes and I kept that promise and moved up within that time frame. I was prepared to uproot myself and move up to be with her and I have never regretted my decision. I am one of the few, where my LDR has been successful. You need to be sure that you truely want to be with her and that you mean it when you tell her. For all the pain of your breif meetings, it will only get harder the longer you are together whilst being apart.

I disagree with quite a lot of this. Yeah it's difficult being apart but it's hardly unbearable as long as you have a decent amount of communication and see each other fairly regularly. I don't know what age you are, given that you have a wife I assume it's older than most of us. Just because it's an LDR doesn't mean you have to immediately choose whether it'll last forever. I'm also someone who has had a 'successful' LDR but I put that down to being able to make it work while we were 200 miles apart and not rushing to move nearer. When we got together we were looking at 2.5 years LD (and I know people on here have done a lot longer). If anything it got slightly easier as time went on, a bit annoying but nothing was as bad as the first couple of months. Does that mean we don't love each other or want to be together, because we were willing to go through all that before moving? Interesting logic.

Anyway anon my advice would be just relax and see how it goes. Yeah it might not work but then what? You're in the same position you would be now if you ended it for distance. See each other as often as time and money and life permits. We averaged once every three weeks I think and that was with us both at uni and with part time jobs. As for your girlfriend getting upset quickly, it's probably cos it's so early. Just enjoy the first few months of being together, there's plenty time for serious chats when something comes up.
I was not saying that you did not move your partner. What I was saying that with LDRs, the amount of pain that the distance causes, especially if you only get to see each other infrequently, can be unbearable. I am 25 now and I have been with my wife for over 3 years now, so I wouldn't be considered old by anyone's standards. What I was saying is that if you are not expecting the relationship to be serious or if you do not want a serious relationship, an LDR is very ill advised. His girlfriend quite clear gets very upset when he has to leave. My wife did the same and even though as it came nearer the time for me to move up, it became harder and more painful every time we parted. She may find it gets easier in time, but conversly she may not.
Original post by kingrudding
I was not saying that you did not move your partner. What I was saying that with LDRs, the amount of pain that the distance causes, especially if you only get to see each other infrequently, can be unbearable. I am 25 now and I have been with my wife for over 3 years now, so I wouldn't be considered old by anyone's standards. What I was saying is that if you are not expecting the relationship to be serious or if you do not want a serious relationship, an LDR is very ill advised. His girlfriend quite clear gets very upset when he has to leave. My wife did the same and even though as it came nearer the time for me to move up, it became harder and more painful every time we parted. She may find it gets easier in time, but conversly she may not.

I think 'unbearable' is an exaggeration. At 25 you're not old obviously but you are older and will look at relationships differently to a 17/18 year old couple. From what he's said it sounds like it could be fairly serious but it's his first relationship, not many people go into that thinking 'oh this is it and we'll be together forever and get married' etc. Even though it's a possibility (and has happened to me to an extent) it would be quite a scary thing to be faced with straight off, I didn't go into my relationship worrying about how serious it would end up. No more than I would have if he lived down the road anyway.

Sorry I just found your post very negative for a thread dedicated to long distance. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to up and move to where their partner is and LDRs can be necessary sometimes. To me it sounds like the guy's just looking for some words of comfort and to know he's not the only mad person to do this.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm with romantic here. I certainly have found the first few months (from July-October) much much much harder than the last few (October -now). I have no end date, as I had to move home after Uni after living with him for most of 2 years. The pain has also not be unbearable. There is always the light at the end of the tunnel - even if it is from sky lights rather than the end!

I leave to go back to Uni tomorrow so will once again be in an LDR, i'm dreading it after seeing my bf everyday for the last 6 weeks over the holidays :frown:. I'm thinking of getting a job to keep me occupied during the times i don't have lectures. Our distance is 300 miles.
I'm in year 12 at the moment and my other half is a year above and is going to university in september. We have been together a year now; at the moment it looks like they're going to a uni that is about 150 miles away. I keep saying how I will make it work and come and see them every week or every other week... and they joke about saying how it wont work and how we should quit whilst we're ahead.. but I'm not sure if there is actually any truth in what they're saying. I said I could go a year without seeing them if it meant being with them after that. And they say that they couldnt do that.. they cant be without me. When i apply for uni i want to be near them.. I know it will only be hard for us for about 10 months. I'm just worried about drunken uni times could lead to cheating and I just wish the next year was over already.
Has anyone been through the same thing and survived or have any advice?? x
Reply 5498
I'm in year 12 at the moment and my other half is a year above and is going to university in september. We have been together a year now; at the moment it looks like they're going to a uni that is about 150 miles away. I keep saying how I will make it work and come and see them every week or every other week... and they joke about saying how it wont work and how we should quit whilst we're ahead.. but I'm not sure if there is actually any truth in what they're saying. I said I could go a year without seeing them if it meant being with them after that. And they say that they couldnt do that.. they cant be without me. When i apply for uni i want to be near them.. I know it will only be hard for us for about 10 months. I'm just worried about drunken uni times could lead to cheating and I just wish the next year was over already.
Has anyone been through the same thing and survived or have any advice?? x

I know exactly how you feel. My boyfriend is at university and I am taking a gap year and he is about the same distance away from me. I visit him once a month and we talk on skype as much as we can, text a lot and call a lot. It sounds hard in the long run, but a month goes by quicker than you think. As long as you both make an equal effort and like each other enough, it can work.
I'm in my 3rd year at uni doing a languages course and, as such, am on my year abroad.

I'm finding things really difficult with my girlfriend, who I've been with 2 years. It just seems like all the intimacy has gone :frown: Communication is proving a real problem. We chat on skype, but the stingy uni halls here have an internet allowance that allows for minimal video conversation.

I set aside time in my day when neither of us have classes/clubs to speak to her, am I being unreasonable when I get upset at her for not coming on speak to me then? I get really frustrated with it because she doesn't let me know before hand, she just doesn't appear. Then I text and find out she's gone to the pub.

Then on a Sunday she's said she will speak to me, then doesn't because she's got "lots of work to do". I accept that, but then we end up arguing because this work hasn't seemed to stop her going out 3 nights in the week. Am I just being selfish here, or what?

I'd like to see her more often, but visiting each other is hard. Because of the differences in education systems, we only have a 2 week overlap of holidays when we are going to see each other, and that's 2 months away. But again, I seem to be more willing than her to go and visit during term time. I think she'll really regret not coming across more afterwards - there's so much to see, and a different culture which she could experience without having to pay for a hotel or anything.

I really don't know what to say to her. I love her to pieces when we're together, but whilst we're apart she just seems to really frustrate me. It feels as if I'm being relegated right to the bottom of her pile of priorities, which I don't think is good as I'm making an extra effort for her. What would people here advise I say to her?

Latest

Trending

Trending