The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 Exam Paper January 2011 14/01/11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jit987
Is that for Uniform distribution questions, like in some interval (0,20) then work out P(4<x<5). Or are you talking about poisson/binomial/cdf/pdf?
For a PDF question if the questions says P(x=5) is it always 0 or is that only for CDF?

trouble with all of the above- binomial/normal/poisson etc. i can never figure out what to subtract from what n which values to look for in the tables...i get especially confused between what to do for P(4<=X<5) or P(4<X<=5)...wat do i do in each case? i really need an A*...any help would be appreciated sincerely..
Reply 61
Original post by jit987
:smile: Not started yet, but will start papers soon..

Rep for you :smile:

You don't happen to have any C3 papers from 2010 do you?
Reply 62
Original post by Oxmatt

i do...
Reply 63
Original post by Oxmatt

Jan + June?
Reply 64
Original post by Geniusmiss
trouble with all of the above- binomial/normal/poisson etc. i can never figure out what to subtract from what n which values to look for in the tables...i get especially confused between what to do for P(4<=X<5) or P(4<X<=5)...wat do i do in each case? i really need an A*...any help would be appreciated sincerely..

1- This is straight forward because you want less then 5 but it has to be more or equal to 4 so its just P(X=4)
2 - This one includes 5 but not 4, so just P(X=5)
In instances when is P(4<= X <=10) convert that into P(X<=10) - P(X<=3). (The second number is always less than 1).

But if the question says P(4<X<9), convert that into P(5<=X<=8) and then do same as above.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by jit987
1- This is straight forward because you want less then 5 but it has to be more or equal to 4 so its just P(X=4)
2 - This one includes 5 but not 4, so just P(X=5)
In instances when is P(4<= X <=10) convert that into P(X<=10) - P(X<=3). (The second number is always less than 1).

But if the question says P(4<X<9), convert that into P(5<=X<=8) and then do same as above.

thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 66
did anyone get the june 2010 question 3? i did manage to get the right answer...but i dont get the logic...neither does my really stupid teacher! i have attached the screenshot of the question and the mark scheme
Reply 67
Original post by jit987
Jan + June?

That's the ticket!
Reply 68
Original post by cazzy-joe
It is P(x>17)P(x>17) not P(x17)P(x \geq 17)

If it would have been P(x17)P(x \geq 17), then it would be P(x16.5)P(x \geq 16.5)

If I'm wrong please correct me :biggrin:

Thats it. I was having a random mental block. cheers
Reply 69
did anyone get the june 2010 question 3? i did manage to get the right answer...but i dont get the logic...neither does my really stupid teacher! i have attached the screenshot of the question and the mark scheme

This was the S2 paper I did :smile:

It's a rectangle with perimeter 20cm. X is one side, let Y be the other side. So X+Y = 10 (since 2X+2Y = 20)

The probability that the length of the longer side is more than 6cm has two possible cases.

Firstly if

6<X<76<X<7

Or if

6<Y<91<X<46<Y<9 \Longrightarrow 1<X<4

So the only time one side won't be greater than 6cm is when

4<X<64<X<6

Which has a probability of (6-4)/(7-1) = 1/3

So the probability one side is >6cm is 1-1/3 = 2/3
Reply 70
Original post by Noble.
This was the S2 paper I did :smile:

It's a rectangle with perimeter 20cm. X is one side, let Y be the other side. So X+Y = 10 (since 2X+2Y = 20)

The probability that the length of the longer side is more than 6cm has two possible cases.

Firstly if

6<X<76<X<7

Or if

6<Y<91<X<46<Y<9 \Longrightarrow 1<X<4

So the only time one side won't be greater than 6cm is when

4<X<64<X<6

Which has a probability of (6-4)/(7-1) = 1/3

So the probability one side is >6cm is 1-1/3 = 2/3

thanks a lot...u sound really smart...if u dont mind me asking...wat grade did u get? and which uni's are thinking of appyling to?
Reply 71
thanks a lot...u sound really smart...if u dont mind me asking...wat grade did u get? and which uni's are thinking of appyling to?

I got A*A*A*Aa in maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and biology respectively last year. I'm going to Oxford to do maths in October :smile:

I got 95 in S2
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 72
here's me with another question...sorry for asking so many but i really need that A*...do these type of questions even come up? its from the edexcel textbook...i dont get it at all...i have posted the answer and the question...i mite sound silly for not knowing this but gimmme a break im doing 5 a level papers! n im in year 11!
Reply 73
I know this is about S2...but does anyone know where I can get S1 past papers Solomon ones from? Thanks :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Noble.
I got A*A*A*Aa in maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and biology respectively last year. I'm going to Oxford to do maths in October :smile:

I got 95 in S2

woah! i wanna go to oxford too...for business and economics...i hope my qualifications will be enough to get in!:redface:
Reply 75
Original post by t_star
I know this is about S2...but does anyone know where I can get S1 past papers Solomon ones from? Thanks :smile:

http://www.freeexampapers.com/past_papers.php?l=Past_Papers%2FA+Level%2FMaths%2FEdexcel%2FS1%2FSolomon/ :smile:
Reply 76

thanks for the link!

For some reason the files arent loading :/ when i click on any of them it just keeps loading?

It workss now! THank you SO much! Going to help me out so much for tomorrow :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by t_star
thanks for the link!

For some reason the files arent loading :/ when i click on any of them it just keeps loading?

the server must be down...it'll take a bit..try this link- http://www.xtremepapers.net/Edexcel/index.php?dir=Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/Subject%20Sorted/S1/Solomon/
Reply 78
Original post by Noble.

I got 95 in S2

how did u prepare for C3 & C4? im doing c4,c3,s2 at once...
Reply 79

Thank youu :smile: This one workss!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending