The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yoyo462001

New - Not for at least 18 months time if even that
Used - Maybe sometime next December I guess. It's been such a popular phone.

Thinking of getting a new phone?

Erm... I'm just anticipating my Hero becoming wholly obsolete sooner or later. I think I'd prefer the Desire to the Desire HD, and I can wait for more than a year until it's a price I'm comfortable with :tongue:
Reply 3221

How weird that HTC desire costs slightly more than samsung galaxy s, when the samsung is slightly better.

If all goes well I'll have my S i9000 is 36 hours.

You guys are gonna have to reccommend me a load of apps n what not.

Edit: oh wait, I think I was looking at desire hd, they look so alike to me.
(edited 13 years ago)
It's a feature that improves efficiency when browsing. Say for instance I want to go to my bookmarks instead of exiting my full screen mode, the going settings and then bookmarks (or whatever process it usually is). All I do is press the gesture button on my screen then with an imaginary pen I write a symbol and it will take me to bookmarks.

This can be enhanced even more. e.g. I visit engadet often so I have a gesture for it, I press the button then do an EN symbol and it will take me to the site straight away. You can configure any action in the browser to a gesture e.g. with one press of a button I can be on any preconfigured website, access any part of my settings and menu and even switch tab.

It means I never have to come out of Full screen mode.

Oh right I see. Some of the functions are probably just quicker pressing the button on the touch screen but I can see how it can be quite handy.

Is there an option of importing bookmarks onto it?

And if you know, what's the difference between the Dolphin Mini and Dolphin HD?
Original post by MasterJomi

Original post by MasterJomi
Oh right I see. Some of the functions are probably just quicker pressing the button on the touch screen but I can see how it can be quite handy.

Is there an option of importing bookmarks onto it?

And if you know, what's the difference between the Dolphin Mini and Dolphin HD?

When I installed it it just had all my bookmarks already in the browser so I'm assuming it does it automatically. I have no idea what the difference is but I imagine the mini version is very light weight so won't have all the features of the HD version. I've heard it's very fast though.
Reply 3224
Original post by Yawn11
How weird that HTC desire costs slightly more than samsung galaxy s, when the samsung is slightly better.

That's no reason to get them mixed up :colonhash:

I'd recommend getting a custom ROM straight-away though or at least a custom Kernel...it runs so much smoother if you do :yep:
Original post by BillV3
Hey I got the TFT model and I'd say for the price it's definately worth it, nothing else approaches it's specs at the price level.

Pros:

800x480 Resolution this is the same as a Desire or Nexus One and the TFT screen still has some pros, while images aren't as nice it's better for text, the screen is also brighter as I believe they upped that to help out all in all the TFT screen is still a really nice screen.

512Mb of RAM this is very very good at this price point again you won't get close for £110-£120

Easily unlockable, seriously takes all of 2 minutes to unlock to all networks and doesn't cost a penny

Good community support over at MoDaCo including custom ROMs left right and centre, it's also upgradable to Froyo through custom ROMs and it gains some legs on Froyo:
http://goo.gl/iXich - A benchmark result for you from my phone

Same GPU as the Nexus One so not the most powerful on the market but heck it's £100 after all

Some minus points are the Camera, it's servicable in good lighting conditions but in low light just forget it after all it doesn't have a flash and as for video, don't go there at all.

CPU is previous gen but it does a good job of running android nicely, it can do a little bit of 3d work but nothing intensive, same as the HTC Hero.

In my honest opinion it's great phone for it's price point, though I'd get it elsewhere from Orange, only £10 top-up needed elsewhere, if you have any more questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Thank you :smile: I've finally bought one...
I'm a little stuck on debranding the phone from all the rubbish Orange have themed and preinstalled on it.
I'm on a mac and don't know how to use clockwork or anything and am stumped on step 6 of the debranding guide here... http://www.chrislowthian.co.uk/how-to-unlock-de-brand-and-root-the-zte-blade-orange-san-francisco/1824/

don't know what to do as there is no file saying 'fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img'

There are only these files present (see attachment). Which one should I open and how would I go about opening it?
Original post by purplefrog
I'm a little stuck on debranding the phone from all the rubbish Orange have themed and preinstalled on it.
I'm on a mac and don't know how to use clockwork or anything and am stumped on step 6 of the debranding guide here... http://www.chrislowthian.co.uk/how-to-unlock-de-brand-and-root-the-zte-blade-orange-san-francisco/1824/

don't know what to do as there is no file saying 'fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img'

There are only these files present (see attachment). Which one should I open and how would I go about opening it?

Can't help you on doing it that way but I debranded mine following the steps on here http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-blade-modaco-com/321479/remove-orange-apps-on-san-francisco/
(using Titanium backup instead of SystemApp remover).
I rooted my x10 last night and its the best thing ive ever done! It allowed me to change the theme and i can add my own custom roms and put root access programs on! I have fell back in love with my x10
Original post by Yawn11

I hope you got a good deal. The Galaxy 2 is out next month! An equal to the Desire HD without doubt. I never thought I would say this but with O2s decision to go with Windows OS HTC HSs only I am getting a Samsung :smile:

Just waiting for O2 to have it.

One killer feature on all Galaxies is Gorilla glass, why didn't HTC use this on the Desire HD?!?!
Reply 3229
Original post by markrush
I hope you got a good deal. The Galaxy 2 is out next month! An equal to the Desire HD without doubt. I never thought I would say this but with O2s decision to go with Windows OS HTC HSs only I am getting a Samsung :smile:

Just waiting for O2 to have it.

One killer feature on all Galaxies is Gorilla glass, why didn't HTC use this on the Desire HD?!?!

Hopefully I should be getting the phone later today. :biggrin:

And what do you mean Gorilla Glass? You mean the Super Amoled screen?

It's because it's made/owned by Samsung, so if other companies want it, they'd have to buy it from samsung, but I don't think they're selling them off yet.
Original post by Yawn11

It's because it's made/owned by Samsung, so if other companies want it, they'd have to buy it from samsung, but I don't think they're selling them off yet.

Sorry did not explain what Gorilla Glass is. Nothing to do with display, res or colours. It's not owned by anyone that I know of. It's a really tough glass for a display. You cab drop it, scratch a screw on it, jab a knife at it and it will not blemish at all.

Youtube it and check it out. First time we tested it we were all finding it hard to do as it is so counter intuitive, wow it really is that good.
Reply 3231
Original post by markrush
Sorry did not explain what Gorilla Glass is. Nothing to do with display, res or colours. It's not owned by anyone that I know of. It's a really tough glass for a display. You cab drop it, scratch a screw on it, jab a knife at it and it will not blemish at all.

Youtube it and check it out. First time we tested it we were all finding it hard to do as it is so counter intuitive, wow it really is that good.

Yeah I just saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nNJSGR2m0U

Hmm, that's pretty insane actually lol.
The glass can actually still be scratched if you have keys in your pocket with your phone from what I've heard, so don't let go of your common sense of course :smile:
Reply 3233
Original post by purplefrog

Sorry for my lateness in replying :O

I'm assuming you've got ADB installed on your mac and the phones itself is connected after turning it on and holding the volume up button?

If that's the case all you'll have to do is:

- Open a command prompt and go to the directory you've screen shotted there
- Then from said command prompt simply type or c+p 'fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img' without the apostrophes, this should push clockwork to your phone
- Then follow the rest of the guide through, remember to wipe everything from clockwork after installing a ROM.

I hope that helps, I'm going on my skectchy knowledge and vague recollection of how I did it.... :redface:
Reply 3234
Original post by Yawn11

Good Choice i love my Galaxy great phone!
Original post by Sithius
x

Nice bit of neg there
Original post by bigmo7
I use Dolphin HD too :u: Not tried the mini version but I was under the impression it was for phones with lower screen quality? :dontknow:

Not necessarily lower screen quality but I think just general lower hardware requirements.

I have the HD and it does run quite slowly on my Hero

Worth me switching over to Mini?
I thought you had the Desire HD? If so then no cos I would have thought your phone would be good enough to power dolphin HD
Original post by wizard710

Nice bit of neg there

Not necessarily lower screen quality but I think just general lower hardware requirements.

I thought you had the Desire HD? If so then no cos I would have thought your phone would be good enough to power dolphin HD

Yeah I do, runs fine on my phone but if it's just a lighter version but packs most of the heat then I might be persuaded to download it. My friend on the Nexus S says it's really quick compared to the default browser.
Reply 3237

Ah right, it runs fine on my phone but I might try the other one just in case :K:

Might overclock to 1.2GHz to see what all the fuss is about too...

I found my new favourite game, Minisquadron...although it's not that new :p:
I use the stock browser mostly, but for certain websites - including TSR actually - I use Dolphin Mini. On a Desire running Cyanogen 6.1.
Whats gone on since i was gone??? lol :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending