The Student Room Group

Goldman Sachs or Deloitte?

Scroll to see replies

Id go for GS, the pay difference is massive (12k) plus at GS you will also get small bonuses, i know after the ACA you will catch up with GS but thts after 3 yrs and think where you could be with GS in that time. Even "back office monkeys" at the top BB's earn 6 figure salaries and get to travel.

Im currently studying for the aca with a large financial services firm (not accountants) and hate the work, exams etc most of which is just based on spreadsheets, doing reports, financial planning upon quater end and calculations, alot like corp tax would be (i interned in tax few yrs back). The exams are difficult especially if you have never studied accountancy before, u get good training but still have to put the work in. Im currently looking to get back into banking (any divisions) having worked at db for 18 months.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
go for GS and ask for them to support you to do a qualification if your manager is supportive. Again if this support role has exposure to the trading floor, then i don't see why not go for GS.

But do find out more about your GS role before going for it. If you do well in Deloitte, you can always move to front office even before you qualify, it can be done (just keep being active in your PA account).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by capitalP
structured finance but sits within Audit. Mostly CF type work though. ACA has a lot of focus on exam technique, you can know the syllabus 100% and you can fail easily. Thats what trips most people up!

logged in here for the first time in a long time :smile:

ACA now done, I have left and work for a hedge fund. Investment Banking not for me, I value my life.
Reply 23
Afaik cass doesnt offer econ degrees...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
Probably from city uni but called it cass.
Reply 25
lij
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by capitalP
logged in here for the first time in a long time :smile:

ACA now done, I have left and work for a hedge fund. Investment Banking not for me, I value my life.

Im just about to get into ACA at big 4 (shouldn't really mention that here :s-smilie:) and eventually want to go into IB/HF, any advice, how did you do it?

You read around forums and its like big 4 to IB/HF is rare just curious what your thoughts about it are?
Reply 27
try and get the most relevant work you can while attaining your ACA, have a keen interest in the markets, try and read relevant books if you have a genuine interest in all things finance. it all feeds into the potential you have and a future employer will gauge it when the time comes

big 4 to IB is not rare...not if you work in a financial services/corporate finance area of the big 4 especially. big 4 to front office IB certainly is much harder, but I know lots who have done it ( but I worked in financial services areas)

I maintain that doing an ACA while working in a FS area of the big four is the best possible start you can have to your career. spend 3 years doing one thing at a bank, or getting the premier business qualification, more client facing skills and more varied(but still ****ty) work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending