The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fission_Mailed

Nope, pretty much everything we do is summative.

Ooh! What type of operation?

Is it your first time sitting that type of exam? If it is then it's got to be formative (GMC rules) :confused:

And I have no idea :o: The surgeon I'm attached to is general/vascular, so it shall be a surprise! :p:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Is it your first time sitting that type of exam? If it is then it's got to be formative (GMC rules) :confused:

And I have no idea :o: The surgeon I'm attached to is general/vascular, so it shall be a surprise! :p:

Really? Nobody has ever mentioned that to us. Maybe it's because we do the BMedSci, so these exams don't really count towards the BMBS?

Really? Nobody has ever mentioned that to us. Maybe it's because we do the BMedSci, so these exams don't really count towards the BMBS?

Well it is for us :dontknow: Everytime we sit a type of exam/assessment for the first time, it has to be formative (ANP/OSCE/SSS/AR/Portfolio etc) But ask around, as I don't see why it would be any different for you. What is the BMedSci? Is that your "forced" intercalation?
Well it is for us :dontknow: Everytime we sit a type of exam/assessment for the first time, it has to be formative (ANP/OSCE/SSS/AR/Portfolio etc) But ask around, as I don't see why it would be any different for you. What is the BMedSci? Is that your "forced" intercalation?

It isn't really intercalation, 'cos we still finish in 5 years. Essentially, you have to write a dissertation in year 3 and they give you a degree for it.

I've never heard of that before :confused: Is this why we have a mock for every new type of exam?
I wish I had my exams now; they're not for another month.

It isn't really intercalation, 'cos we still finish in 5 years. Essentially, you have to write a dissertation in year 3 and they give you a degree for it.

Yeah but it is your extra degree, which is what I was getting at :p: In that case I don't think the formative thing would be applicable to that exam :sad: Sorry.

Original post by Becca-Sarah
I've never heard of that before :confused: Is this why we have a mock for every new type of exam?

It was brought in this year :yep: Is the mock thing new? Cause if so I'm pretty sure that'll be the reason. Although UEA obviously just make the exam not count, whereas Aberdeen just makes you do it twice :wink:
Yeah but it is your extra degree, which is what I was getting at :p: In that case I don't think the formative thing would be applicable to that exam :sad: Sorry.

In that case, I'd better go get on with revision.
Reply 328
Just been told our graduation date (provided I pass of course!) - graduate on a Friday, start work the following Monday... this is going to be fun!
Original post by Hygeia

Original post by Hygeia
Just been told our graduation date (provided I pass of course!) - graduate on a Friday, start work the following Monday... this is going to be fun!

:eek: Wow that is short. At least you don't have a massive gap inbetween where you could forget everything :p:
We get five weeks off between finishing year 5 and starting work, but they've put graduation right in the middle making it really difficult to travel :frown:

I'm off to Peninsula deanery open day today, get to meet all of my colleagues to be!
Reply 331
Finals are 7/8/9 June with results on the 21st so we have 2 weeks of stress before results then 4 weeks off before graduation to find somewhere to live and move house :p:

Haven't heard of that before, we take our first OSCE this year which isn't a mock :dontknow:
Reply 333
Finally got the keys to my permanent room. Now I have to move all my stuff from room H 2 to room E 3. this is one floor below. And yet it would be "impossible" for me to just stay in the room I'm in, as it's already been allocated to someone else, and "impossible" to simply allocate that someone else my now permanent room. Sigh.
Original post by Mushi_master

Original post by Mushi_master
Haven't heard of that before, we take our first OSCE this year which isn't a mock :dontknow:

I don't know why nobody's heard of this :sad: Hygeia will back me up :yep:
Original post by Hygeia
Finals are 7/8/9 June with results on the 21st so we have 2 weeks of stress before results then 4 weeks off before graduation to find somewhere to live and move house :p:

From what I've seen Hygeia, you're an intelligent, determined, rugged individual and you'll be fine!

In fact you're quite the role-model, I think there was an article in the (sBMJ?) about getting more students with disabilities into medicine, because at the moment we're frankly crap at doing so.

Real life Dr House hehe
Reply 336
Original post by Philosoraptor
From what I've seen Hygeia, you're an intelligent, determined, rugged individual and you'll be fine!

In fact you're quite the role-model, I think there was an article in the (sBMJ?) about getting more students with disabilities into medicine, because at the moment we're frankly crap at doing so.

Real life Dr House hehe

:colondollar: I definitely don't have House's diagnostic skills (but hopefully have better communication skills :p:) Did have one of the EAU reg's referring to me as House when I was on placement there which was fun!

There've been various articles over the years (no idea if there's been anything recent though) - my research project is based on doctors with disabilities so I've found a number of them in the past :yep:
Reply 337
Am I the only person who dosn't really have a problem with bankers getting paid bonuses??
Reply 338
Original post by crazylemon
No I don't have a problem either.

Shock! :p:
Reply 339
I don't have a problem. It might not 'feel' right, but it's not really up to anyone's feelings. They get paid that much for a reason, even if we think it's disproportionate.

Latest

Trending

Trending