The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Over 24 hours to kick off tomorrow. Predictions? I think we (West Ham :wink:) may get a draw out of this. 1-1, Parker to open the scoring and Nasri to equalise.
And who do you suppose could fill Wenger's boots at Arsenal, let alone clean them?

Now, let's say, for argument's sake, that his contract isn't renewed. Who's going to replace him? In order to challenge Man Utd we'd need a fairly experienced manager, so let's start with the obvious:

- Mourinho certainly can't relate to the football we play and is at Real;
- MON is nowhere near big enough for the job;
- No French manager I can think of springs to mind aside from Blanc possibly, but he isn't experienced enough;
- Forget any and all Italian managers, the same goes for the Spaniards and the Portuguese (bar Mourinho who wouldn't work at Arsenal);

So we're left with a Brit, and no British manager I can think of is big enough for Arsenal, or a Dutchman. Guus Hiddink is probably the only man who could relate to our system. Shame he's contracted to Turkey and Indonesia, and couldn't care less about club football.

Who's left then? Rijkaard? Van Gaal? I suppose we could always give Pat Rice the job.

:toofunny:

Wenger isn't winning any trophies, granted. However, by sacking him in search of a manager who 'might' win us the Carling Cup we could very well end up 5th or 6th in the league, ergo missing out on the CL. Is it really a risk worth taking?

In Arsene We Trust.
(edited 13 years ago)
The one managing Porto would be a decent bet. Owen Coyle too :sexface:

Well, if supporters are happy with Arsene, then that's fair enough, but he hasn't won a trophy in yonks and challenging for the title is sporadic, he actually he has his best chance this year as everyone else has been dirt poor.

If he doesn't get at least one trophy this year, his time could be coming to an end.
Will Arshavin play?
Sam Allardyce for next Arsenal manager? (Just so we don't have to have him...!!)

On a serious note, I think David Moyes is a perfect fit for Arsenal when Wenger goes. Favours a youth policy, knows the premier league and can work on a budget. You could do far worse.
Original post by Colonel.
The one managing Porto would be a decent bet. Owen Coyle too :sexface:

Well, if supporters are happy with Arsene, then that's fair enough, but he hasn't won a trophy in yonks and challenging for the title is sporadic, he actually he has his best chance this year as everyone else has been dirt poor.

If he doesn't get at least one trophy this year, his time could be coming to an end.

Just Wikipedia'd him. Apparently he's never played football before and used to manage the Virgin Islands. Sign him at once!
Agreed Stalin, besides it's not as if we haven't challenged is it? Consistently in the champions league (final 06), never outside the top 4 in the prem (should have won 07-08 season), league and fa cup form in recent years hasn't been amazing but we've been there or thereabouts. Whilst it's extremely frustrating that we haven't won anything in four years I'd much rather come 2nd for 10 years than come 1st for 1 year and be 4th or worse the next few years. Whatever you say about Arsene in recent years he has built this club into the force it is and was, without him Arsenal would not be challenging for the title as regularly and certainly wouldn't be as financially stable.
Original post by Stalin
Just Wikipedia'd him. Apparently he's never played football before and used to manage the Virgin Islands. Sign him at once!

Yet he's got a long unbeaten streak, battering Benfica on the way and was tutored by Mourinho. Obviously ****, I apologise.
Original post by Colonel.
Yet he's got a long unbeaten streak, battering Benfica on the way and was tutored by Mourinho. Obviously ****, I apologise.

To be honest, I couldn't care less if he was tutored by the Pope.

If we're going by unbeaten streaks and battering rivals, surely MON has a claim to the Arsenal job. He went 25 unbeaten in '03-'04.
Original post by Stalin

Jose Mourinho never played football.

Villa Boas is, Klopp aside, the up and coming manager in europe. His porto side have a 90% win ratio , and battered Benfica who won the league last season 5-0.

Quite amusing to see you try and belittle someone using wikipedia as your evidence.
Original post by DontBuyTheSun
Jose Mourinho never played football.

Villa Boas is, Klopp aside, the up and coming manager in europe. His porto side have a 90% win ratio , and battered Benfica who won the league last season 5-0.

Quite amusing to see you try and belittle someone using wikipedia as your evidence.

Mourinho played football, actually.

Martin O'Neill did a tremendous job at Celtic and went on a 25 unbeaten run, but to claim that he would do well at Arsenal is ludicrous, at least it's ludicrous to claim that he would do well basing it solely on that. He might, given the chance, but he might also fail miserably due to the immense pressure he'd be under (which he didn't have at Celtic or at Villa). This is why managers are selected based upon their overall track record and not one season (at least the good ones are, if you want a bad example take poor Woy).

Capello's a fairly decent manager, is he not? He's won Serie A countless times, La Liga a few times and the Champions League. A perfect fit for England, no? Oh right, and there was me thinking football was that simplistic.

As for Wikipedia, we're not debating a death count but his mere track record.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by rhinger
How does it feel like having to lick W4nker's ass and gobble his cock everyday?

That doesn't even make sense, much like the points you previously made. dickhead
2 words: Joachim Loew.
Joachim Loew definitely favours a youth policy and favours attacking football, but I don't think he's really accustomed to club management, is he?
I think it should be managed by a triumvirate of Sam Allardyce, Tony Adams and Iaiaiaian Dowie.
Adams won't come back, he's enjoying a stable job in Azerbaijan. :yy:
Not surprised, the APL is ranked higher than the SPL now, I think :colonhash:
Not exactly hard. :ahee:

People who say Arsenal should just 'play in France' ought to say Hearts should just play in Lithuania. :teehee:
Tottenham should just play on Harry Redknapp's FriendsReunited page.
Original post by R-KAM
A goal is a goal, doesn't matter whether it's volleyed from 50 yards or bobbled off your arse from 2. They all count.

That guy Stalin advertised it as vintage Arsenal. That goal is nothing like the Arsenal I know.

Latest