The Student Room Group

Going for Frenuloplasty operation in 48 hours

Hey, so, I'm going to have me Frenuloplasty operation in roughly 48 hours (8am, Friday), and I'm starting to get nervous -.-. I know I probably should be but I have a few questions to ask and would like some reassurance :3

Firstly - What sort of time scale does the operation take + being discharged (I'm getting general anaesthetic)?

Secondly - Is there really anything to worry about? Seeing as I'll be under general anaesthetic during the whole operation and I'll wake up not knowing much different (until I check it out :P)

Thirdly - This is probably what is on my mind the most - Is the recovery time and pain afterwards, and how I'm supposed to go for like ~3 weeks without....giving my little boy any attention, for the first few days I've told my girlfriend to not come around because I'll get an erection far easier, but asides from that I can barely go a few days without succumbing to the temptation :P

Anyway, thanks for your help, it's appreciated. I often follow the kind of saying of "Short term pain for long time prevention etc.", I'm just one of those kind which probably worries about it far too much and then afterwards think "What was the worry all about?"

Thanks,
Peace.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you might wana tell people what that operation is... many, including myself won't know and i don't care enough to google it. (if i didn't care, why am i replying.. i don't know :biggrin:)

p.s. what if you get wood in your sleep the first night? willy explode?
Reply 2
Yes. My willy will explode </sarcasm>.

I'm generally looking for people who have already had frenuloplasty, so explaining what it is would only be fruitless as it would be coming from people who have either A. Never experienced it or B. Know someone who has experienced it.
im very interested in this, op as i think i may need this done in the future. I cant answer your questions, as ive no experience of the procedure.

Could you please let me know if it makes much of an improvment?

Like i say, i may need it done in future.

Good luck
Reply 4
One of my close male friends had this operation a few years ago. From what I remember he was only in hospital as a day patient, and there's nothing to worry about because you'll be fast asleep during the procedure.

I thought the advice was no action for 6 weeks? Or at least it was for my friend. Anyway, you needn't worry about that because I can assure you it won't be your priority when you've been operated on there!
Reply 5
Just got back from the hospital and everything went great.

I was taken into the operating theatre and then given some anaesthetic which made my vision blurry and then as far as I can remember I was knocked out :P I was in hospital from 8am to around 13:00, the operation took place around 9am but I didn't come round until 10:30am and they were saying that had to keep me in a for a few hours to make sure everything was all right. As of now there doesn't seem to be any pain, only mild discomfort as the urologist told me, the local anaesthetic started wearing off about an hour ago and since then, as I said there's been mild discomfort.

They give you lots of painkillers afterwards and advise you to take them 4 times a day for the first 3 days, they gave Paracetamol, Codeine and Tramadol. The nurse basically told me to use Paracetamol first and if that isn't enough, using Codeine with Paracetamol and if all else fails use Tramadol

So yeah, all in all, absolutely nothing to worry about whatsoever and I feel foolish for worrying in the first place :P
Reply 6
1st night and no painful erections, I had three throughout the night all which woke me up but there was no pain? The first one I **** myself and jumped out of bed to realise there was no pain, the second one I just lied there for ages until it went away and the third one the same.

Either I'm doing something right, very lucky, or I had a very good surgeon.
Hey there, I was going to post this without being anonymous, but since I got into quite some detail I'd rather keep it that way, sorry. Sounds like you're getting along great. I had the operation done a few years ago myself, so I know all that it's like.

Regarding the pain, this depends heavily on how your surgeon closed the wound. Did your surgeon use physical stitches, or a surgical glue? If glue was used, you're lucky, you should feel little to no pain, erection or not. I had the glue myself and was pretty thankful for it. You'll know if it was glue or not because when the gauze comes off, if it hasn't already, the glue will be a very clear thick line over the wound area.

Physical stitches cause a lot of pain upon erection because they are pulled sharply when the penis stands at attention - that's the way I see it, anyway, could be wrong. The surgical glue keeps the wound nicely in place and an erection should not disturb it. If you have physical stitches and you still don't have pain on erections, think yourself very lucky. Even though I had the glue, I was given the painkillers just like you. I never had to use any of them, amazingly, as there really wasn't much discomfort down there at all.

Do not have any action - sex or by yourself - for 3 weeks at minimum - 4 weeks is ideal. After 3 weeks you'll probably feel more than well enough and you should be fine, though I 'resumed' as such after 3 weeks and ended up with some irritation and bleeding. Give things time to heal up properly. I highly doubt you'll do yourself any damage though, just be careful. It's not so much the movement that causes the problem - you can be mild, it's the irritation that comes from semen entering the wound area. I thought mine was all closedup , but it was damn irritated afterwards, trust me, and I kept everything religiously clean.

And lastly, the cleaning. Don't go overboard, generally follow what your surgeon said to you. After some time, the wound will be stable enough to be submersed. At that time, do not make any rough tugs on the foreskin - pull it back slowly and gently. Clean it only with warm water, and preferably in the bath. When the wound is closed and stable, it might help to slowly and gently keep moving the foreskin in the warm bath water. Obviously do this only if you have glue instead of stitches.

All the best for your recovery!
Reply 8
Thanks for the help.

I think I did actually get stitches (On the first 2 days I could pull my foreskin back without pain, but now there is really sharp pain when pulling back, probably because they're healing? and I saw what looked like a piece of thread tied (obviously much stronger than a piece of thread) and I've had next to no pain overall (so I think I have been super lucky), but I also think he might have just removed the frenulum altogether (which would explain no pain, as the frenulum/skin isn't being stretched), i.e. performed a frenectomy, as I can't see the frenulum (or feel it) at all.

I've also had numerous erections (causing me to wake up the first 3 - 4 days, although last night I didn't wake up at all), and there was no pain in any case, as well as on the morning no pain (However, I haven't tempted fate by purposely trying to give myself one), I don't know whether it's down to taking paracetamol right before I sleep or if I'm just super lucky (which if I am, I'm really thankful for as I was so worried about the after pain)

Yesterday was my 4th day, and so no painkillers throughout the day and it felt no different (however I'm still taking them on a night just to be safe). I did have some pain when urinating on day 3 and the former half of day 4, but myself and my girlfriend came to the conclusion that it was urine getting in the wound and causing it to hurt, as the pain wasn't instant, it was a couple of seconds after I'd been urinating, on the latter half of day 4 I decided to pull my foreskin back a little bit to urinate (as I normally just pee with foreskin down), and the pain was no where to be felt.

Also yesterday (day 4) and today (day 5) I took a lightly salted bath (as per recommendation by people on 'Men's Health'), and that seems to have cleaned it up a bit and cleared the smell for the most part.

On the plus side, I feel like it's building up willpower to resist the temptation of masturbating :P

But yeah, thank you very much for your information and I appreciate speaking to someone else who has been through this (and can appreciate how hard it is),

peace.
Reply 9
Seems as thought I spoke too soon, last night I woke up a few times with painful erections, and then this morning I woke up every hour with a painful erection. Why am I getting painful erections one week after surgery? Am I really healing that slow? (I normally heal quickly, I drink lots of water as well), doesn't feel good. It's like, you could be lying there then the next minute you feel a sharp pain and you're like "SHIET". ;p
Reply 10
Hi there, i'm 16 (17 next month) and in a a relationship. I'm aware that i need this operation, and my relationship has recently become sexually active (only oral). I'm quite nervous because she isn't aware of the fact that i need a longer frenulum (we're both virgins). Anyways, i'm getting nervous and frustrated as i want to have sex with her, but obviously i can't.

I need some advice and answers please;
How much would it be roughly to get it done privately?
Should I tell her about?
Should I tell my mum about it? (Bear in mind she probably won't be happy about the fact i'm now intending to be sexually active).
Should i go for it?
Any advice would be great, because this is one of the things throughout my life that has brought my confidence down and perhaps affected the way I am because i knew i'd have to face this problem eventually.

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 11
I was in the same situation as you, CBlunt, it has really affected my confidence (My first proper girlfriend, the one I have now, wasn't until 18...so yeah..go figure).

Firstly, not entirely sure why you'd want it done privately, unless you really can't wait ~3 months. After I'd been seen by my urologist (I was seen November 9th), operation was carried out on January 14th. However, I believe privately it is in the vicinity of £300.

Yes, you should definitely tell your partner about it because afterwards you might find that you won't want to be around her too much for the first week or so (That's what I have done, I seen her like 3 times last week, as oppose to pretty much every day, as she would just cause me to have erections or desires which might cause my little fella pain :P), surely she'll understand and support you, my partner came to the hospital with me and was by my side, and even waiting 2 hours in the hospital for me to come round after general anaesthetic.

You should tell either your mother or father (whichever you feel most comfortable, in my case it was my mother), you don't necessarily have to say that it's intended to have sex with your girlfriend (If you think she'll react negatively), you could just tell her it causes pain when masturbating, or if even that's too much, tell her it'll cause complications in the future and it's better to get it done rather than sooner.

If you feel it's right, then yes, you should, but definitely see a urologist first (obviously), so that's definitely what you need. I must admit, the building up to the operation is far more worrying than the actual operation, the hardest part is not masturbating/sex afterwards (I haven't masturbated for 9 days now, that's the most I've ever gone since I was 13 :P But I don't feel the same desire I did before the operation (probably because consciously I know I have to leave it alone to allow it to heal), however I have had a few times where I've felt aroused and managed to get rid of that feeling by just doing something else (Work, playing game, internet, TV etc. etc.)

But yeah, hope this helps, hope my advice is good (Seeing as I only had it 9 days ago and still haven't quite healed, however much better than I was earlier in the week).

Peace.
Reply 12
Hey there, wondering about any updates from you guys? :smile:
I had this done.

Mt Surgeon was a woman named Ms Blades. I **** you not.

They also stick a needle down your shaft to enlarge your penor so they know how to cut, I was waiting for some numbers at the end of it. :sexface:
Reply 14
Hey guys, so, as you requested a small update:

It's been a month since the operation today, the 14th, and it seems to have pretty much healed. Foreskin seems a little tight around wound area (Seems to have built up), but with each day I'm stretching so it's looser and looser. I have to say, that being able to pull the foreskin back feels so much better, masturbation is better, and oral is better, haven't had sex with it yet, however, still feel it's a little bit sensitive.

But yeah, after all the worrying, the doubt, and the thoughts that it wouldn't be OK, it turns out that everything seems to have gone to plan. I was looking at the scar and it essentially just looks like an indent on the glans where the frenulum used to be. The foreskin has a couple of slits where the frenulum used to attach.

Oh, and my surgeon was called Mr Cummings, another convenient name.

Anyway, if you're thinking about getting it done, then you totally should! Much better than circumcision.
Hi, I had my operation 48 hours ago. So far the pain hasn't been bad at all, experienced abit of discomfort but haven't felt the need to take any painkillers as of yet. Was just wondering how long it was after the operation before you had an erection, I've had a semi a few times but the small stinging pain where my frenulum used to be is enough to frighten me and make it go flacid again.

Would painkillers ease it at all as I have a girlfriend and although I'm certain i'm not able to have intercourse so soon after the operation, oral sex is definitely an option. However, I am certain to get an erection in the process. Basically want to know if I should avoid getting an erection at all costs incase of bleeding, stitches becoming undone etc. And also after the op, did the surgeon apply a white creamy substance to the area where the frenulum used to be ?

thanks.
Original post by Anonymous

Hey guys, so, as you requested a small update:

It's been a month since the operation today, the 14th, and it seems to have pretty much healed. Foreskin seems a little tight around wound area (Seems to have built up), but with each day I'm stretching so it's looser and looser. I have to say, that being able to pull the foreskin back feels so much better, masturbation is better, and oral is better, haven't had sex with it yet, however, still feel it's a little bit sensitive.

But yeah, after all the worrying, the doubt, and the thoughts that it wouldn't be OK, it turns out that everything seems to have gone to plan. I was looking at the scar and it essentially just looks like an indent on the glans where the frenulum used to be. The foreskin has a couple of slits where the frenulum used to attach.

Oh, and my surgeon was called Mr Cummings, another convenient name.

Anyway, if you're thinking about getting it done, then you totally should! Much better than circumcision.

Hi, Anopnymous, thanks, your update seems comfoirting. I have my frenuloplasty operation in 48 hours too!! and I am quite nervous ..... can I go to gym the same day? Also, how long do I need to have sex?? Your help will be appreciarted. (iof u dont mind, would like to speak over fone..sorry)
Hey,
I just had frenuloplasty 48 hours ago. Everything went well ect. apart from the fact that my urologist was very vague on what i should do now in terms of washing the area. I don't want to force my forskin back and open the wound or mes up the stitches. Any advice/help would be appreciated.
thanks
Just wanted to share my experience of a frenuloplasty for everyone's benefit.

First of all, went to see the sugeon privately and then did the op at the national hospital.

By prior arangement I opted not to have General Anaesthetic. The Surgeon said it is normal to do the op under General Anaesthetic but I insisted on local, and I assure you it was no big deal. Just the same the anaesthetician was there and spoke to me before the op. The surgeon said that some people who have it done under local anaesthetic may need General anaesthetic so the anaesthetist stands by just in case.

Anyhow I had one injection in my penis shaft (only a minor inconvenience but then I am a blood donor and used to needles (but not there of course). Then after a few minutes the surgeon gave me another injection in the base of the penis and a third injection also at the base. This was apparently intended to deaden the nerve.

Quite frankly I was more worried about having students looking on during the op rather than about the pain. In any case, there was absolutely no pain at all.

The surgeon and his team covered my face with some sort of screen so I could not really see what they were doing, but I can tell you I felt absolutely nothing at all. In a matter of ten minutes I was out of the op room and after another 15 I was dressed and ready to go home. I had not used my car as I was afraid I would not be able to drive, but I felt so good I took the bus home!

I had minor bleeding over the next day or so (I took the week off work just in case), and obviously refrained from any sexual activity.

Now three weeks have passed since the op; I feel fine; some stitches are still there so they have not dissolved yet. I will give it another week and see how it goes; I already feel there is an improvement but of course will not know how effective it is until I "run live tests".

So bottom line is do not worry about this operation. It is very trivial and I only regret I did not have it done years ago. It did not keep me from marrying and having kids but it did keep me from much of the enhanced pleasure I could have had through sex over the years.

The only real obstacle is getting up the courage to expose yourself in front of the surgeon and (maybe) students. But that is a culture thing and one will find that it is surprisingly easy at the end of the day. Good luck to all. Feel free to ask questions.
Hi

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I will be having this done in a couple days time and wanted to know the recovery time. I know you cant rush health but will I be able to be 'normal' within days? How long should I take of work and Uni?

Thanks

Just wanted to share my experience of a frenuloplasty for everyone's benefit.

First of all, went to see the sugeon privately and then did the op at the national hospital.

By prior arangement I opted not to have General Anaesthetic. The Surgeon said it is normal to do the op under General Anaesthetic but I insisted on local, and I assure you it was no big deal. Just the same the anaesthetician was there and spoke to me before the op. The surgeon said that some people who have it done under local anaesthetic may need General anaesthetic so the anaesthetist stands by just in case.

Anyhow I had one injection in my penis shaft (only a minor inconvenience but then I am a blood donor and used to needles (but not there of course). Then after a few minutes the surgeon gave me another injection in the base of the penis and a third injection also at the base. This was apparently intended to deaden the nerve.

Quite frankly I was more worried about having students looking on during the op rather than about the pain. In any case, there was absolutely no pain at all.

The surgeon and his team covered my face with some sort of screen so I could not really see what they were doing, but I can tell you I felt absolutely nothing at all. In a matter of ten minutes I was out of the op room and after another 15 I was dressed and ready to go home. I had not used my car as I was afraid I would not be able to drive, but I felt so good I took the bus home!

I had minor bleeding over the next day or so (I took the week off work just in case), and obviously refrained from any sexual activity.

Now three weeks have passed since the op; I feel fine; some stitches are still there so they have not dissolved yet. I will give it another week and see how it goes; I already feel there is an improvement but of course will not know how effective it is until I "run live tests".

So bottom line is do not worry about this operation. It is very trivial and I only regret I did not have it done years ago. It did not keep me from marrying and having kids but it did keep me from much of the enhanced pleasure I could have had through sex over the years.

The only real obstacle is getting up the courage to expose yourself in front of the surgeon and (maybe) students. But that is a culture thing and one will find that it is surprisingly easy at the end of the day. Good luck to all. Feel free to ask questions.

Quick Reply

Latest