The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit 1 - Families and Households Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anthony93
Nothing to be sad about mate! That is good. I used barely any Sociologists when I look back compared to others. I am sure if you used a good essay structure with all them in you will be looking at a decent grade :smile:

I hope so!

I just prefer essays questions like Assess the Marxist view that the families function is to serve the needs of capitalism...

Ohh well, only March the 10th will tell me how I did :wink: Better get concentrating on the other units! Have you got any other exams? If so good luck in them :smile:
Original post by Plonk
Reading this thread has made me less confident of my result :/

I feel the same, especially people saying about Sharpe and Cunningham, I'm like... erm who? :tongue:

I'm absolutely sure we'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 102
Original post by teaandcoffee
I hope so!

I just prefer essays questions like Assess the Marxist view that the families function is to serve the needs of capitalism...

Ohh well, only March the 10th will tell me how I did :wink: Better get concentrating on the other units! Have you got any other exams? If so good luck in them :smile:

10th of March the results day then? Didnt know that haha!
Thanks mate, Just the one now, Unit 3 Sociology - Beliefs in Society, what about you? :smile:
10th of March the results day then? Didnt know that haha!
Thanks mate, Just the one now, Unit 3 Sociology - Beliefs in Society, what about you? :smile:

Yep, 10th :smile:

I have that one too :smile: Haven't started the revision for it yet though, gotta cram in education beforehand! How are you feeling about Unit 3? I'm worried about having two exams next week!
Reply 104
Yep, 10th :smile:

I have that one too :smile: Haven't started the revision for it yet though, gotta cram in education beforehand! How are you feeling about Unit 3? I'm worried about having two exams next week!

Dont be worried man, it will effect your performance, I had 3 exams this week, 2 of them today, just so glad to get them out the way!
All next week I will be revising for Unit 3, we have done a lot of revision already as we finished the Unit quite early on. Boring topic, but easy enough, what about you? And whats the other exam? Good luck :smile:
Dont be worried man, it will effect your performance, I had 3 exams this week, 2 of them today, just so glad to get them out the way!
All next week I will be revising for Unit 3, we have done a lot of revision already as we finished the Unit quite early on. Boring topic, but easy enough, what about you? And whats the other exam? Good luck :smile:

2 in a day? Argh that must have been awful, your poor hand must be sore from all the writing!

Beliefs is alright, I did start out by doing mass media and I hated it, so went with beliefs. I have Crime and Deviance on the 25th, then my Unit 4 Psychology retake on the 2nd of feb! I cannot wait for all these exams to be over! Good luck for you too :biggrin:
Reply 106
2 in a day? Argh that must have been awful, your poor hand must be sore from all the writing!

Beliefs is alright, I did start out by doing mass media and I hated it, so went with beliefs. I have Crime and Deviance on the 25th, then my Unit 4 Psychology retake on the 2nd of feb! I cannot wait for all these exams to be over! Good luck for you too :biggrin:

Haha! It was towards the end! I had this paper last year the same time as another exam (Maths)! That is worse, when the school makes you do Maths first, and all the Sociology knowledge just evapourates!

Arghh! Fair play for doing all the Units in January, how do you not get all sociologists mixed up I will never know! Let me know how you get on in March! :smile: Best off luck :biggrin:
Reply 107
I feel the same, especially people saying about Sharpe and Cunningham, I'm like... erm who? :tongue:

I'm absolutely sure we'll be fine. :smile:

Same >.< Mind you, considering my Sociology teacher's pre-exam advise was "Make people up if you're not sure", I think I've done quite well. xD
Haha! It was towards the end! I had this paper last year the same time as another exam (Maths)! That is worse, when the school makes you do Maths first, and all the Sociology knowledge just evapourates!

Arghh! Fair play for doing all the Units in January, how do you not get all sociologists mixed up I will never know! Let me know how you get on in March! :smile: Best off luck :biggrin:

Well you see... I just cram it all in between the days I have between the exams. My short term memory is pretty good I think.

I know now for the other units not to memorise as many studies.

Yes let me know how you get on too :smile: I hope we've all done well in this exam, we deserve it!
Original post by Plonk
Same >.< Mind you, considering my Sociology teacher's pre-exam advise was "Make people up if you're not sure", I think I've done quite well. xD

I made up studies in my Psychology exam and came out with a B last year :wink:

I didn't have TIME to think of any studies to make up, I just opened the paper and BOOM write write write. I still can't believe that paper is an hour, it'd be lovely just to have an extra 15 minutes
Original post by Rachel_Leah
I've almost finished all revision apart from social policy! What time is the exam again? I'm going into school early to revise but I was an idiot and left my planner at school!

Hey I saw you did really well in Unit 2, I'm doing it next week, do you have any advice or tips?
Reply 111
I made up studies in my Psychology exam and came out with a B last year :wink:

I didn't have TIME to think of any studies to make up, I just opened the paper and BOOM write write write. I still can't believe that paper is an hour, it'd be lovely just to have an extra 15 minutes

Entire studies? I keep worrying I'd get a Sociology who would notice or something. :tongue:

It's fine if you write in short sentences/bullet points for the first three questions. I was worried about the timing, wrote very fast and ended up finishing really early.
Original post by Plonk
Entire studies? I keep worrying I'd get a Sociology who would notice or something. :tongue:

It's fine if you write in short sentences/bullet points for the first three questions. I was worried about the timing, wrote very fast and ended up finishing really early.

I only included two studies I remembered. When I went into that exam my mind went completely blank so I went along the lines of 'this psychologist did this' and made up some names here there and everywhere.

I think for absolutely crucial studies, such as Aries, then it probs would have been and issue and they would notice :tongue:
Reply 113
I only included two studies I remembered. When I went into that exam my mind went completely blank so I went along the lines of 'this psychologist did this' and made up some names here there and everywhere.

I think for absolutely crucial studies, such as Aries, then it probs would have been and issue and they would notice :tongue:

Apparently someone in my class talked about Mick Jagger. His mark will be interesting. :tongue:
Original post by Plonk
Apparently someone in my class talked about Mick Jagger. His mark will be interesting. :tongue:

Hahaa really?

The more I keep thinking about this exam the more I am happy that social policies didn't come up :tongue:
just thought I would throw this in there:

I feel pretty confident about my exam. The two essay questions on section B were the two I knew the best. A bit of luck I suppose :P
Original post by S129439
just thought I would throw this in there:

I feel pretty confident about my exam. The two essay questions on section B were the two I knew the best. A bit of luck I suppose :P

Good to know someone that feels confident! Better than feeling unconfident :smile:
Seems a lot of people chose section B. Everyone I know did, although that was down to the fact that our teacher hadn't yet taught us the other two sections well, so we went for the one we were more confident about.
Original post by DanGLiverpool
Seems a lot of people chose section B. Everyone I know did, although that was down to the fact that our teacher hadn't yet taught us the other two sections well, so we went for the one we were more confident about.

I only taught myself families and households, teaching all three sections would have been stressful! How did you find the exam?
I only taught myself families and households, teaching all three sections would have been stressful! How did you find the exam?

Not too bad, used the entirety of the hour to finish it, felt the essays fell a bit short, page and a paragraph each, but quality over quantity imo so hopefully there's more of the quality in it. Killed off the short questions nicely though, including net migration:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest