The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by affinity89
Ooo they are getting me down atm...

I was in work yesterday and, as mentioned, it was a bit crazy and then I discovered that they had lost my wage query form and thus I'll have to wait even longer for the pay I'm owed from November. Anyway, nothing was mentioned to me about changing my hours or anything like that.
Yet, almost as soon as I got home, they started calling and leaving messages on my mobile again. Why couldn't they ask me when I was in work? I have classes and things to be doing university-wise, so I have to have my phone on silent and cannot answer whenever they decide to ring...
The message said that they wanted me to work in a different store "one day next week". How normal is that? I really don't want to start messing with my shifts and hours etc - I can just about fit in the shifts I do around my other commitments. And, given it is my last proper term at university, that takes priority.
I just want to turn up, work hard, go home and get paid what I am due at the end of the month. Is that so bad lol?

you don't have to work in a different store if you don't want to. we regularly get asked when other stores need help (and we're already short enough) and people often say no cos they dont fancy driving to x store at 10pm lol.
Anyone getting there hours cut back down to there contracted hours? Because Im in the commercial department there is suppose to be someone in constantly but theres huge gaps at times, and our manager is expecting us to stay in until the next person comes in, but without pay.
Reply 7442
Original post by xangelinax
Anyone getting there hours cut back down to there contracted hours? Because Im in the commercial department there is suppose to be someone in constantly but theres huge gaps at times, and our manager is expecting us to stay in until the next person comes in, but without pay.

... tell your manager to piss off :s-smilie:
Reply 7444
Great. When I get to the store, the manager tells me they're looking for a dispensing assistant, despite the fact there were two separate jobs in the pharmacy, a dispensing assistant and a customer service assistant. The dispensing assistant job requires training for some NVQ and I can only work up until September :facepalm:
Reply 7445

I got a shining star for saving a mans life yesterday :smile:
Reply 7446
Original post by Foulish
I got a shining star for saving a mans life yesterday :smile:

:eek: How'd you do that?!
Reply 7447
Hi,

I've been working at Sainsbury's for the last 5 and a half years, and have never taken a sick day off so am unsure of the policy.

I've been doing overtime whilst waiting for Uni to resume, and have been feeling terrible since Wednesday. Today, coughing and spluttering all around the store, I ask my manager if I can go home due to sickness to be told that I can't. Not sure exactly why they would want a sick person going around spreading illness to staff and customers, unless they have some elaborate plan to maximise sales of medicines.

I'm due to work tomorrow from 6 in the morning, but am unlikely to be going in. I understand that I need to give an hours notice, but do they expect me to wake up before 5 in the morning just to make a phone call saying I won't be in? (although this I would likely be up, been kept awake by coughing on other nights...). Also, would I get paid for the day off?

Thanks
Original post by Robbie89
Hi,

I've been working at Sainsbury's for the last 5 and a half years, and have never taken a sick day off so am unsure of the policy.

I've been doing overtime whilst waiting for Uni to resume, and have been feeling terrible since Wednesday. Today, coughing and spluttering all around the store, I ask my manager if I can go home due to sickness to be told that I can't. Not sure exactly why they would want a sick person going around spreading illness to staff and customers, unless they have some elaborate plan to maximise sales of medicines.

I'm due to work tomorrow from 6 in the morning, but am unlikely to be going in. I understand that I need to give an hours notice, but do they expect me to wake up before 5 in the morning just to make a phone call saying I won't be in? (although this I would likely be up, been kept awake by coughing on other nights...). Also, would I get paid for the day off?

Thanks

Maybe phone now and tell them you won't be coming in? You should be paid because you've been there over 2 years.
hate working there already and ive only worked my first day.
did anyone else feel like that on their first day? and does it get btter?
Reply 7450
Original post by inksplodge
Maybe phone now and tell them you won't be coming in? You should be paid because you've been there over 2 years.

Just called. Talked to the manager who wouldn't let me go earlier, and he said I'd have to phone up in the morning. Which is slightly ridiculous really
Hi,

Thanks

Personally, I'd be looking elsewhere after this. I know this doesn't seem like a lot of help, inksplodge has given that, but you've been a loyal colleague and they treat you like that still?
Original post by bananaterracottapie
hate working there already and ive only worked my first day.
did anyone else feel like that on their first day? and does it get btter?

Yes I did and in my experience no it doesn't. But then working in a supermarket isn't usually most people's idea of fun. Sorry:frown: Try and make some good friends though. Two people totally got me through the Sainsbury's 'experience', which was my idea of hell.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by morris743
Yes I did and in my experience no it doesn't. But then working in a supermarket isn't usually most people's idea of fun. Sorry:frown:

absolutely agree.
Reply 7454
Personally, I'd be looking elsewhere after this. I know this doesn't seem like a lot of help, inksplodge has given that, but you've been a loyal colleague and they treat you like that still?

I am looking for another job, I'll be out of Uni in a couple of months and am looking for a job to pretty much go straight into.
Reply 7455
Hi,

Thanks

Well if you don't phone up until after 5 you break your contractual obligations and may well be put in for disciplinary, so it's easiest to wake up at 5 for a few minutes, phone in sick, then carry on with whatever you were doing. If you stay up late you could phone before you go to sleep I suppose.
It amazes me how badly they treat staff to be honest. :frown:

Sorry to hear you are unwell Robbie89. Seeing as you've called them now, I think it is bad that they want you to call again at 5am. I mean, if you are too sick to come into work, surely waking up at 5am to make a stupid phone call is silly - you need to rest. :frown:

They don't seem to care if you are ill when in work. When I was in between Christmas and NY, everyone I was working with in the fresh section was coughing and sneezing, and most had lost their voices [self included]. Hardly the best image to give to customers!

I noticed with HR yesterday, they seem to blame everything on the lowest levels of staff. Eg, a colleague came in asking for her payslip [I've not had mine yet actually], as her manager said they were in the office. The woman in HR said that they had given them all to department managers and there was no point the woman asking her. She went on to say that if the department manager had lost it "it was tough" and if the colleague really wanted them to get a copy of the payslip, she would have to wait until the following day. I don't like the way they give your payslips to other people - I think keeping them in HR would be much more simple. Plus, she made out like it was a big inconvenience to her if she had to reprint the payslip. That is so frustrating, especially as the colleague has every right to be given it and hasn't gone out and lost it herself etc.

If I had a bit more money left from my university loan [my rent swallows the entire thing this term, even though I am in the cheapest accommodation, because of the way they have split up the payments - next term is is like half the cost of this term] I would quit...
It is quite funny - in an extremely despairing way, of course. This is a company which claims to pride itself on customer service, yet they don't seem able to join the dots between looking after their staff who will then look after their customers better and bring in the one thing these people at the top seem to care about - money.

This store in particular sounds like they despise their staff. The redeemless morons.

Perhaps you could think up a business on the side affinity? One which treats its staff better than Painsbury's. I'm sure you'd get a lot of applicants for that.

It amazes me how badly they treat staff to be honest. :frown:

Sorry to hear you are unwell Robbie89. Seeing as you've called them now, I think it is bad that they want you to call again at 5am. I mean, if you are too sick to come into work, surely waking up at 5am to make a stupid phone call is silly - you need to rest. :frown:

They don't seem to care if you are ill when in work. When I was in between Christmas and NY, everyone I was working with in the fresh section was coughing and sneezing, and most had lost their voices [self included]. Hardly the best image to give to customers!

I noticed with HR yesterday, they seem to blame everything on the lowest levels of staff. Eg, a colleague came in asking for her payslip [I've not had mine yet actually], as her manager said they were in the office. The woman in HR said that they had given them all to department managers and there was no point the woman asking her. She went on to say that if the department manager had lost it "it was tough" and if the colleague really wanted them to get a copy of the payslip, she would have to wait until the following day. I don't like the way they give your payslips to other people - I think keeping them in HR would be much more simple. Plus, she made out like it was a big inconvenience to her if she had to reprint the payslip. That is so frustrating, especially as the colleague has every right to be given it and hasn't gone out and lost it herself etc.

If I had a bit more money left from my university loan [my rent swallows the entire thing this term, even though I am in the cheapest accommodation, because of the way they have split up the payments - next term is is like half the cost of this term] I would quit...
(edited 13 years ago)
It is quite funny - in an extremely dispairing way, of course. This is a company which claims to pride itself on customer service, yet they don't seem able to join the dots between looking after their staff who will then look after their customers better and bring in the one thing these people at the top seem to care about - money.

This store in particular sounds like they despise their staff. The redeemless morons.

Perhaps you could think up a business on the side affinity? One which treats its staff better than Painsbury's. I'm sure you'd get a lot of applicants for that.

Haha. Maybe. :smile:

The stupid thing is that I don't actually mind the job itself. I quite like serving customers, especially when you get nice customers who want a good old chin-wag etc, and nothing about the job is particularly taxing. However, the way they treat their staff is rubbish. It makes me wish I could go back to my old PC World store - yes the customers thought we were crap and I had to deal with lots of problems, but we got good bonuses, great sense of teamwork and they never messed up your pay lol. :smile:

I am at a difficult stage now. I will be in the area for around 6 months - max - and I have too much going on to start applying for jobs again. I'm just going to have to sit things out at Sainsbury's a while longer...

For some crazy reason, I was thinking of asking for a transfer in summer to a store near home. [I must be mad lol] How easy is that to sort out?
What happened to your PC World job, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Could you not set aside just a day to really knuckle down and apply to every company in the land worth working for?

You are mad lol As for transferring, I guess it depends how well you get on with the top brass. That's another thing I hated about working for them - professionals to the end when it comes to things the staff may do wrong, but lots of favouritism when it suits.

Haha. Maybe. :smile:

The stupid thing is that I don't actually mind the job itself. I quite like serving customers, especially when you get nice customers who want a good old chin-wag etc, and nothing about the job is particularly taxing. However, the way they treat their staff is rubbish. It makes me wish I could go back to my old PC World store - yes the customers thought we were crap and I had to deal with lots of problems, but we got good bonuses, great sense of teamwork and they never messed up your pay lol. :smile:

I am at a difficult stage now. I will be in the area for around 6 months - max - and I have too much going on to start applying for jobs again. I'm just going to have to sit things out at Sainsbury's a while longer...

For some crazy reason, I was thinking of asking for a transfer in summer to a store near home. [I must be mad lol] How easy is that to sort out?

Latest

Trending

Trending