The Student Room Group

Am I too over-qualified to do an Access course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Shamzmix_34
I had the same problem in thinking that if you had A-levels you wouldn't be able to do Access to HE courses as you already have a full level 3 qualification. I completed my A-levels in English Language, Sociology and Psychology in 2009 and since have been working as I felt studying English at university wasn't my thing anymore.

Since then I have been researching Access to Medicine/Dentistry courses available in FE institutions in London, my interest in such a course comes from having the oppourtunity to work in the NHS in a clerical position whilst being able to observe the clinical staff throughout my post, I have therefore applied and gained a 12 month placement as a trainee dental nurse at UCLH in feb 2011 :biggrin:.

I hope to apply for the Access to Medicine course after this at either City and Islington College or Lambeth College both based in London, the admissions lady did emphasise that mature applicants with A-levels stand a better chance of gaining entry as their application stands out as the course is fairly demanding and only the best suited applicants will be allowed to even apply for dentistry or medicine.

Oh well, see what the future holds

Oh cool, yeah I was thinking it can't hurt to be *too* over qualified, but wasn't sure with this Access course malarky. I have just enough A levels to get into uni, but only a sub-standard one so I thought I'd go for the Access. I'm looking to apply to Lambeth College too, I only live down the road from there :biggrin: Have you applied yet? I want to apply ASAP but it says apps open in January..
Original post by Moooooooose
Hi, I'm not really a "mature" student as such (I'm 19), but I was reading on here about Access courses and thought you guys could help answer my question.

Basically, I messed my A levels up. I know I could have done SO much better than I did. But my 6th form wont let me re-sit them. So I'm currently stuck with an A in A2 Politics, a C in A2 Photography and a B in AS English Lit. I only got the A in Politics because I got an E in the mock exam, freaked out and made myself work super hard the rest of the year. I was thinking of applying for Politics in 2012, I'm at art school atm but don't really enjoy it. I was told I could finish my A2 English Lit, but unfortunately my old school chose to do it on an obscure exam board and I'm yet to find a college near me that will let me continue A2 english because of this. It looks like an Access course is meant more for much older people, but I feel like this might be my best option? If I did get, say a B in English lit, I'd have ABC and I know I can do better and aim higher (this demonstrated when I worked and worked and got an A in Politics at A2). I know I could get into a third-rate uni with my grades currently, but I want to go to the best possible place (Not oxbridge or anything, but somewhere better than Nottingham Trent - who said they would accept me with my current grades).

Any advice? Would an access course be right for me?

Hi Moose you can never be too over qualifield to do a Recognised access Course.Many students taken them every single year at every college in the Uk etc.We have some 19 year olds on my Pre-Access Course as well as a few middle 20s,30s and 40s year olds.So you see Moose age doesnt matter on such Access Courses because it comes down to academic ability and how well you do on them what really matters.
If this makes any sense to you.

I would suggest you research a few Access Courses where you live and start making enquiries now as they do get filled up places wise pretty quickly as i am sure Moose you might be already aware of this.Find out nearer where you live depending upon how far you want to travel if they is a particular Access diploma that you would like to do and if there is one phone up the relevant college and ask them,at the end of the day what do u have to lose
Reply 22
Original post by wizardtop
Hi Moose you can never be too over qualifield to do a Recognised access Course.Many students taken them every single year at every college in the Uk etc.We have some 19 year olds on my Pre-Access Course as well as a few middle 20s,30s and 40s year olds.So you see Moose age doesnt matter on such Access Courses because it comes down to academic ability and how well you do on them what really matters.
If this makes any sense to you.

I would suggest you research a few Access Courses where you live and start making enquiries now as they do get filled up places wise pretty quickly as i am sure Moose you might be already aware of this.Find out nearer where you live depending upon how far you want to travel if they is a particular Access diploma that you would like to do and if there is one phone up the relevant college and ask them,at the end of the day what do u have to lose

Thanks for the advice :smile: I've already found three colleges that run my course that I can apply to, luckily one is only a 5 minute walk away so that would be perfect. Like you said, I have nothing to lose so I might as well apply.
Oh cool, yeah I was thinking it can't hurt to be *too* over qualified, but wasn't sure with this Access course malarky. I have just enough A levels to get into uni, but only a sub-standard one so I thought I'd go for the Access. I'm looking to apply to Lambeth College too, I only live down the road from there :biggrin: Have you applied yet? I want to apply ASAP but it says apps open in January..

Yeah is it, I'm thinking of applying in january at Lambeth and city and islington, best bet is to call up the admissions office and ask for an application form when the college re-opens after the holidays. They have all the details on their site. What course are you looking to do.
Reply 24
Original post by Shamzmix_34
Yeah is it, I'm thinking of applying in january at Lambeth and city and islington, best bet is to call up the admissions office and ask for an application form when the college re-opens after the holidays. They have all the details on their site. What course are you looking to do.

Ah cool, I guess I'll apply in January as well. I just don't want to leave it too late and not get a place. I'm looking to do the Humanities and social sciences access course.
Ah cool, I guess I'll apply in January as well. I just don't want to leave it too late and not get a place. I'm looking to do the Humanities and social sciences access course.

I am sure you will find that Humanities and Social science access course to be very interesting Mooooooose.If you need any more advice you know where we are.:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by wizardtop
I am sure you will find that Humanities and Social science access course to be very interesting Mooooooose.If you need any more advice you know where we are.:smile:

I think so too, though it doesn't look like there's a Politics module. But perhaps this is a good thing, as I've already spent two years studying it! I've applied to a few colleges now and already been invited to an asessment at two, does anyone know what will be in this asessment? In the letter it says it's a literacy and numeracy assessment.
I think so too, though it doesn't look like there's a Politics module. But perhaps this is a good thing, as I've already spent two years studying it! I've applied to a few colleges now and already been invited to an asessment at two, does anyone know what will be in this asessment? In the letter it says it's a literacy and numeracy assessment.

Hi Moooooooose from what i can remember from own literacy and numeracy assessement it was mainly set at level 2 standard(equivalent to GCSE standard in English and Maths).The Maths paper had a wide range of calucations in it ranging from converting percentages into fractions,decimals,and back again,as well as some percentage questions,median,mode,range,fractions,addition,subtraction,etc.The English assessemet was mainly testing how you could spell,how you structure sentances and so forth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending