The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit 4 - Crime and Deviance and Research Methods Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Right... people I have an exam on the 20th of Jan and my Crime and Deviance exam is on the 25th, this means I'll have 5 days to revise for it :/ Since this unit has such a large amount of content, I think it would only be worth my while concentrating on a few topics and not all of them.

So yeah, cough up the predictions!! Can we also get a revision discussion session on the go like the past Sociology exam threads? I found them very beneficial. What's everyones revision method for this? I'm actually terrified of failing this unit, I want to get it out of the way and just have one Sociology exam in June!

Anyone concerned on them throwing in a really unexpected essay (33 mark), like they did in June? Apparantly a lot of teachers complained to the board about it. What if a similar situation happens?! :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Irishmonkey1992
Right... people I have an exam on the 20th of Jan and my Crime and Deviance exam is on the 25th, this means I'll have 5 days to revise for it :/ Since this unit has such a large amount of content, I think it would only be worth my while concentrating on a few topics and not all of them.

So yeah, cough up the predictions!! Can we also get a revision discussion session on the go like the past Sociology exam threads? I found them very beneficial. What's everyones revision method for this? I'm actually terrified of failing this unit, I want to get it out of the way and just have one Sociology exam in June!

Don't worry, I have 4 days to revise the whole of this topic between Unit 3 and Unit 4.

So I am going to try my best to revise C+D and methods to a good extent then relax a little for the sociological theory!
Original post by teaandcoffee
Don't worry, I have 4 days to revise the whole of this topic between Unit 3 and Unit 4.

So I am going to try my best to revise C+D and methods to a good extent then relax a little for the sociological theory!

What grade are you sitting on for Sociology at the moment? What revision method will you be using for those 4 days? What is the Sociological theory? :colondollar: lol
What grade are you sitting on for Sociology at the moment? What revision method will you be using for those 4 days? What is the Sociological theory? :colondollar: lol

I'm predicted a B, but I'm taking the whole A Level this January so i honestly couldn't tell you.

I think its sociological theory? Basically the bit thats not crime and deviance or methods :tongue:
I'm predicted a B, but I'm taking the whole A Level this January so i honestly couldn't tell you.

I think its sociological theory? Basically the bit thats not crime and deviance or methods :tongue:

Yeah I'm sitting on a B at the moment, I know a few people who did that and did really well so don't panic. I'm really not familiar with the Sociological theory, maybe it's because I havn't revised the content yet, I hope.
Yeah I'm sitting on a B at the moment, I know a few people who did that and did really well so don't panic. I'm really not familiar with the Sociological theory, maybe it's because I havn't revised the content yet, I hope.

Don't worry, I haven't even learnt it yet.

Its nice to know others have done the same as me and have done well :biggrin:
Anyone concerned on them throwing in a really unexpected essay (33 mark), like they did in June? Apparantly a lot of teachers complained to the board about it. What if a similar situation happens?! :s-smilie:

Answer: hell yes!
I seriously would have had no idea on where to start, I'm so thankful it was last years. Hopefully if a lot of teachers complained about its ambiguity, the examiners won't make the same mistake twice and ask us a specific topic based one like marxism or functionalism.
Ahh it's good to know I'm not the only one worrying my ass off. There's no way you can remember all three chapters, it's like double the amount of the education module!!
I don't think there's anyway we can make predictions because they've only had two exams since the new spec. came out so there's a lot of scope for predictions.
In terms of theory, I think it's unlikely they'll ask one about feminism since that came up last year. But then again don't totally dismiss it, you'll kick yourself if you don't revise it and it comes up as a 33 marker.

In conclusion: We are all screwed.
Original post by IHeartAmerica1993
Answer: hell yes!
I seriously would have had no idea on where to start, I'm so thankful it was last years. Hopefully if a lot of teachers complained about its ambiguity, the examiners won't make the same mistake twice and ask us a specific topic based one like marxism or functionalism.
Ahh it's good to know I'm not the only one worrying my ass off. There's no way you can remember all three chapters, it's like double the amount of the education module!!
I don't think there's anyway we can make predictions because they've only had two exams since the new spec. came out so there's a lot of scope for predictions.
In terms of theory, I think it's unlikely they'll ask one about feminism since that came up last year. But then again don't totally dismiss it, you'll kick yourself if you don't revise it and it comes up as a 33 marker.

In conclusion: We are all screwed.

I agree its difficult to make predictions about what will come up as there is simply just SO much to choose from lol
Reply 68
Unexpected? 33 mark? i thought they always had a 33 makr, i had one last jan.
Original post by molly2005
Unexpected? 33 mark? i thought they always had a 33 makr, i had one last jan.

I think he means unexpected in the sense that it was a broad/unspecific question, not that it was a 33 marker.
Reply 70
Hey, how is revision going for everyone? :smile: I think I'm a bit more confident about this exam now, I just need to learn a few more names and prepare more for the 33 mark question as it's so broad.
Original post by Jade2009
Hey, how is revision going for everyone? :smile: I think I'm a bit more confident about this exam now, I just need to learn a few more names and prepare more for the 33 mark question as it's so broad.

Haven't started the revision yet, as soon as my Unit 3 exam is over then BAM revision starts :tongue:
Reply 72
Haven't started the revision yet, as soon as my Unit 3 exam is over then BAM revision starts :tongue:

Good luck with that :p: I can't wait until exams are over! How long will you have to revise it after your Unit 3 exam?
Original post by Jade2009
Good luck with that :p: I can't wait until exams are over! How long will you have to revise it after your Unit 3 exam?

5 days.

I am going to focus more on C+D and research methods, and kind of relax a little with the sociological theory part.

Wish me luck :tongue:
Reply 74
5 days.

I am going to focus more on C+D and research methods, and kind of relax a little with the sociological theory part.

Wish me luck :tongue:

Yeah it's probably best to focus more on those parts, especially as you can include theorists from the C&D/other unit sections into the theory question. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine with it :smile:
Basically all I've been taught is crime+deviance and methods and the 33mark theory ones, if they're on things such as... feminism, marxism etc... can you use the theories learnt in c+d or... is it supposed to be broad theory? Kinda panicking now
Reply 76
Hay guys Im sitting this exam on the 25th too - I know your pain! Haha, its torture, so much to learn!
Original post by IHeartAmerica1993
I think he means unexpected in the sense that it was a broad/unspecific question, not that it was a 33 marker.

That is indeed what I meant :smile:

Right... I'm really crapping myself here. Havn't started revising (actually it's learning) the unit yet and some people seem to prepared, I honestly think this will be what brings my grade down!
How are people find it?

Just starting revision now!

I'm a little worried, cannot believe how much stuff is on this topic :frown:
How are people find it?

Just starting revision now!

I'm a little worried, cannot believe how much stuff is on this topic :frown:

Dude...you're only starting revision now!? :confused:
I started back in November and I'm still pretty sure I'm gonna fail!
Not trying to scare you or anything lol
Perhaps you're more naturally smarter than I am :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending