The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit 1 - Families and Households Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Hiya kids.

Our teacher passed the Families and Households exam around in our A2 class this afternoon, not the best of papers, IMO.

I was hoping the AS lot and those resitting would have had a better set of questions, (January and June 2010 were a breeze in comparison) but that's AQA for you. Rarely hear a good word said about them!

Best of luck to all who took it and all taking SCLY3 next week!

EDIT : I know someone who wrote about the internet for 'net migration', so don't worry too much :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by teaandcoffee
Hey I saw you did really well in Unit 2, I'm doing it next week, do you have any advice or tips?

Hey, well revise a hell of a load firstly! For the research, make sure you have a clear list of advantages/disadvanteges for surveys etc. U no what I mean! Lol. Also, don't lose sleep over learning loads of names and dates - I memorised no dates minus the marx, durkheim etc. Just learn the main ones and those u find easy to remember! X dates of policies are important but that came up last year.. Timing is also very important I ran out of time sooooo bad on the mock but practised a few days before and it was all good :smile:
Original post by Rachel_Leah
Hey, well revise a hell of a load firstly! For the research, make sure you have a clear list of advantages/disadvanteges for surveys etc. U no what I mean! Lol. Also, don't lose sleep over learning loads of names and dates - I memorised no dates minus the marx, durkheim etc. Just learn the main ones and those u find easy to remember! X dates of policies are important but that came up last year.. Timing is also very important I ran out of time sooooo bad on the mock but practised a few days before and it was all good :smile:

Thank you that helps a lot :smile:

How did you find today's paper? I thought it was a lot more difficult than the other papers I've practised (Jan 09, June 09, Jan 10, Spec).
Reply 123
Original post by ilickbatteries
Hiya kids.

Our teacher passed the Families and Households exam around in our A2 class this afternoon, not the best of papers, IMO.

I was hoping the AS lot and those resitting would have had a better set of questions, (January and June 2010 were a breeze in comparison) but that's AQA for you. Rarely hear a good word said about them!

EDIT : I know someone who wrote about the internet for 'net migration', so don't worry too much :biggrin:

Can I ask how much more difficult A2 level Sociology is? I found Crime & Deviance to be one of my favourite topics at GCSE and did my coursework on a C&D related topic (whether downloading was deviant) but apparently the A2 Crime & Deviance has a lot to remember? Sorry for the questions. xP
Original post by jk789
myy teacher thinks it will be "assess the view that adults oppress childhood too much" or something. marriage/divorce hasn't been in a big q since like 2004, so it's likely to be in there somewhere.

Funnily enough, both of these were the essay questions
Original post by cina182003
Funnily enough, both of these were the essay questions

how did you find it?
Original post by Plonk
Can I ask how much more difficult A2 level Sociology is? I found Crime & Deviance to be one of my favourite topics at GCSE and did my coursework on a C&D related topic (whether downloading was deviant) but apparently the A2 Crime & Deviance has a lot to remember? Sorry for the questions. xP

It's a bit of a step up from AS, as you'd expect.

Crime and Deviance as part of Unit 4 comes with Theories and Methods also, so that's a research-methods heavy exam, much like Unit 2 at AS, so there would be quite a lot to remember.

SCLY3, I've done beliefs in society, which is quite a popular topic I think. It's not greatly difficult (watch me come out with a C now...) there is more to remember than there was for SCLY1, but the topic is easy enough to understand.

Of course if you enjoy crime and deviance and you're willing to put the effort in then I'm sure you'll find it less difficult and not as much of a chore.
Reply 127
Lol, are we all going to get warnings for talking about the exam before its been 24 hours?
I just got one for Geography , whooops :/
Original post by Anthony93
Lol, are we all going to get warnings for talking about the exam before its been 24 hours?
I just got one for Geography , whooops :/

I don't think AQA Sociology is included? I thought it was just edexcel
Reply 129
I don't think AQA Sociology is included? I thought it was just edexcel

Oh haha! My bad then, didnt read up on the rules.
:confused:
Original post by DanGLiverpool
Seems a lot of people chose section B. Everyone I know did, although that was down to the fact that our teacher hadn't yet taught us the other two sections well, so we went for the one we were more confident about.

We only learned about section B. We didn't have a choice :L
Hiya kids.

Haha someone actually mentioned almost writing that in our exam, although for some reason a lot of people wrote down that it was when a big amount of people moved to a country at one time, like having fish in a net:biggrin:
Original post by DanGLiverpool
Haha someone actually mentioned almost writing that in our exam, although for some reason a lot of people wrote down that it was when a big amount of people moved to a country at one time, like having fish in a net:biggrin:

If I'm perfectly honest, I would not have known what it meant. It might have clicked, as it's something you could work out, but AQA don't actually refer to it in the AS textbook, as far as I can gather. They give a definition of net migration but they don't tell you that it's net migration.

Buggers. Still, I was lucky enough to sit a fairly easy paper, though I did lose my first two marks because I had no idea what fertility rate was...:redface:
If I'm perfectly honest, I would not have known what it meant. It might have clicked, as it's something you could work out, but AQA don't actually refer to it in the AS textbook, as far as I can gather. They give a definition of net migration but they don't tell you that it's net migration.

Buggers. Still, I was lucky enough to sit a fairly easy paper, though I did lose my first two marks because I had no idea what fertility rate was...:redface:

the teacher at my old school marked this paper for me and I got an A :frown:

dammit I should've done sociology then :tongue:
Hey..

Did you guys actually learn about Migration when you were studying family and households?
Original post by Christina1
Hey..

Did you guys actually learn about Migration when you were studying family and households?

My textbook only had a page on migration.
What textbook were you using?

My textbook only had a page on migration.

What texbook were you using?
Original post by Christina1
What texbook were you using?

'AS Level Sociology, the complete course for the AQA spec' by Trobe and Webb...

Were you using nelson thornes?

'AS Level Sociology, the complete course for the AQA spec' by Trobe and Webb...

Were you using nelson thornes?

Yes I was.. the haralambos.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending