The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Mature Applicants

Have any mature applicants heard anything back yet?

I sent my UCAS form off super early, and theyre the only ones to not send anything yet.

I know they prefer to interview mature students, and that's not likely to happen until after feb, but was just wondering what other people have had yet? Offers? Acknowledgements?

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jeffercake
Have any mature applicants heard anything back yet?

I sent my UCAS form off super early, and theyre the only ones to not send anything yet.

I know they prefer to interview mature students, and that's not likely to happen until after feb, but was just wondering what other people have had yet? Offers? Acknowledgements?

:biggrin:

Hey! Youve applied for the course I'm currently doing so any other questions feel free to ask or PM me.
Sheffield usually reply straight away to arts offers but in your case they are probably looking at your application more individually because it will need to be assessed on your merits. They do generally look very kindly on mature students, particularly in the history department! In history I have a close friend who is a 70 year old man! Hehe

Anyway bare in mind that both departments have to confirm they accept you but the ultimate decision lies in the English dept. I'm sure you sill hear soon but keep in mind that most lecturers and admissions tutors arnt back til the second week of jan now!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2

I've applied to Sheffield for English Literature too :smile: I think we've chatted in the mature students thread! I haven't heard anything yet.
Reply 3
Reporting in. Nothing yet save for an acknowledgement.
Reply 4
Original post by DuskyC
I've applied to Sheffield for English Literature too :smile: I think we've chatted in the mature students thread! I haven't heard anything yet.

Hi :smile:
Yeh, I think we have!
I think perhaps they are waiting til the deadline. Totally sucks.

Original post by avila
Reporting in. Nothing yet save for an acknowledgement.

Not even that :frown: What are you applying for?
I wish theyd hurry! Im desperate to know what they want (if i get a place) so I know who Im firming etc!

Good luck, guys!
Reply 5
Oh God, I've just had a conditional from Sheffield for English Literature! Can't believe it, I was expecting to have to be interviewed, and that was only if they were even remotely interested!
Reply 6
Original post by DuskyC
Oh God, I've just had a conditional from Sheffield for English Literature! Can't believe it, I was expecting to have to be interviewed, and that was only if they were even remotely interested!

Well done!!!

Have you visited the Uni? I havent been yet... *IF* I get an interview/offer, I'll go for a visit then.

Congrats again xx
Original post by DuskyC

Well done! Please feel free to pop any English lit Q's my way. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by jeffercake
Well done!!!

Have you visited the Uni? I havent been yet... *IF* I get an interview/offer, I'll go for a visit then.

Congrats again xx

I'm going up on Wednesday (2nd Feb) for the departmental day :smile: I'm ridiculously excited! I'll report back and let you know what I think!

I've been looking at accommodation too. I think I'd rather go for City & Central but I'd also prefer to live with people in their 20s. I really hope that's not too demanding :smile: I know they say they can arrange for mature students to live with other mature students..
I'm also a mature student (at the age of 22/23!) and have an unconditional offer to do the LPC so I'll be a postgrad. I'm also trying to weigh up whether I should live in halls or private accomodation. On one hand I'm quite sociable and like going out, but on the other hand it will feel very strange going back into halls!
Reply 10
Bumping this :smile:

I think I'm going to firm Sheffield. Any more mature students firming?
I have firmed an unconditional to study Biochemistry & Molecular Cell Biology.
Reply 12
I firmed last month. Nice to meet you. I'm going for the city accommodation as the internationals and mature students live around there.
Reply 13
Original post by 07734
I firmed last month. Nice to meet you. I'm going for the city accommodation as the internationals and mature students live around there.

I've just firmed :smile: I'm going to go for City as well I think..
Reply 14
Original post by Peregrinum
I have firmed an unconditional to study Biochemistry & Molecular Cell Biology.

What accommodation are you going for? Presuming you're going for halls :tongue:
Original post by DuskyC
What accommodation are you going for? Presuming you're going for halls :tongue:

I am going for halls, though I haven't applied yet. I will be choosing Ranmoor.
Reply 16
Firmed an unconditional for Electronic Engineering.

I'm going to be 21 in August, so I think I count as a mature student.

Applied for Endcliffe.
Reply 17
"Mature student" always makes me think of 50 year olds. I'm only 22. (;-:wink:

But yeah, firmed for Japanese studies and applied for Ranmoor, and all that. Hopefully it'll be less noisy compared to the other places once intro week is over.
Original post by avila
"Mature student" always makes me think of 50 year olds. I'm only 22.

I agree. Well, I don't exactly think that you have to be in your 40s or 50s to be considered a mature student, but personally, I don't identify with the demographic they call "mature students" at all. I think that the cut-off age for being "mature" (regardless of whether you refer to undergrads or graduate students) is absolutely ridiculously low.
Reply 19
Original post by Peregrinum
I agree. Well, I don't exactly think that you have to be in your 40s or 50s to be considered a mature student, but personally, I don't identify with the demographic they call "mature students" at all. I think that the cut-off age for being "mature" (regardless of whether you refer to undergrads or graduate students) is absolutely ridiculously low.

I agree. In fact one uni sent me a parent's guide for uni and a mature student's guide. The same information was in both but the parent's one was more more condesending and reassuring them about supervision and all the help available. I e-mailed the uni about this and they said that the computer had me registered as being 20 and so it had automatically sent off the parent's one (a.k.a. just before my birthday when I applied through ucas). The mature one had been sent when the computer had picked up that I had turned 21 a few days later :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending