The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Nope :no: I just like (:smile:) to use a lot of smilies :biggrin: Cause I'm cool (:cool:) like that :p:

Please find me cool :puppyeyes: :colondollar:

I think I win :ninja:

:biggrin:

I'm going to get offline now.
Reply 381
Could anyone tell me what exactly these 'riches' are, and what they're used for? As nothing but a common 'member' I have learnt nothing on the subject :getmecoat:
Reply 382
Original post by Woody.
Could anyone tell me what exactly these 'riches' are, and what they're used for? As nothing but a common 'member' I have learnt nothing on the subject :getmecoat:

Riches/credits are the TSR currency http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=tsr_credits
which you can use to buy subscriptions to the site which give you a number of benefits including coloured usertitles, access to a low mod forum, shout box etc http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=subscriptions
Flick to about 53:30 and there's one of my lecturers :awesome: Clicky

And I have walked down the corridor that they are walking down :yep:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 384
Am finding clinical medicine quite hard going tbh...we have 3 week rotations for generl med - done 3 weeks of cardio, now on 3 weeks of resp...The thing is, maybe I'm slow, but in about 3 weeks, I was just begining to get to grips with it...
Reply 385

He was one of my assessors for my most recent SSS :p:

Original post by Wangers
Am finding clinical medicine quite hard going tbh...we have 3 week rotations for generl med - done 3 weeks of cardio, now on 3 weeks of resp...The thing is, maybe I'm slow, but in about 3 weeks, I was just begining to get to grips with it...

3 weeks does seem a little short to me :erm: Though, thinking about it we did only have 4 weeks + the primary care days each week throughout the 8 weeks of theory.
Original post by Wangers

From my experience (at the Whit anyway)
Acute Med >> Cardio >>> Resp :p:
Original post by Wangers

I completely agree! Ours are technically a week long, although they have titles like 'Palpitations' and 'Chest pain' which are both cardio, so its usually more like 3 weeks of each thing in total. We are often in different hospitals/departments each half day, and have an academic day and a half every week, so we never really get settled anywhere. It's obviously important to see lots of different things but I can't wait to be able to stay in one place for a few weeks in 5th year. 2 weeks full time with one team (firm?) for SSU was awesome.
Original post by mrs_bellamy
I completely agree! Ours are technically a week long, although they have titles like 'Palpitations' and 'Chest pain' which are both cardio, so its usually more like 3 weeks of each thing in total. We are often in different hospitals/departments each half day, and have an academic day and a half every week, so we never really get settled anywhere. It's obviously important to see lots of different things but I can't wait to be able to stay in one place for a few weeks in 5th year. 2 weeks full time with one team (firm?) for SSU was awesome.

On the plus side we stay on the same hospital for the duration of the module, so you can informally slip back to whatever ward you want outside teaching time during the 9 weeks (or even after as you spend half a year at two hospitals)
Original post by Philosoraptor
On the plus side we stay on the same hospital for the duration of the module, so you can informally slip back to whatever ward you want outside teaching time during the 9 weeks (or even after as you spend half a year at two hospitals)

We can pretty much do that too, since there's only one big hospital in Plymouth where we spend a lot of time. It's just really annoying to be on one side of Plymouth in the morning, then the other side of Plymouth in the afternoon, waste so much time messing about in between. And going to Torbay for half a day is a right faff. Perhaps its too complicated to organise but it would seem so much easier to spend a least a whole day in one hospital.
Reply 390

I see that brief glance and raise you a series with one of my dems in (albeit it not transmitted yet...):biggrin:

I also feel a bit like a pin cushion, the vampires got one arm yesterday and my friend got the other today.
Reply 391
Original post by Wangers

What uni are you at ?
Original post by Kanonoji
What uni are you at ?

Well I can tell you we have the same rotation pattern if that's any clue :p:
Original post by Wangers

I had week of cardio and resp and feel like I could do with another 5 of each.
Original post by Kinkerz
Exams are over. Now feels like I have so much time to just chill :proud:
Lucky! Hope they went okay! Roll on 09/02. This month is ****.

How's your external application going? You going to the open day on the 27th?
Original post by i'm no superman

If you guys are going to the King's open day, let me know what it's like yeh? Travelling the full length of the UK for a 2 hour open 'day' is not really feasible :frown:
Can anybody give me a simplified mechanism of action for lisinopril please? :puppyeyes:
Reply 397
Original post by i'm no superman
Lucky! Hope they went okay! Roll on 09/02. This month is ****.

One was ****, one was OK, the other was good. No idea how I've done at all.
All the best for yours.

For King's I'm just awaiting my referee to finish my reference, which could be any time over the next few weeks before the deadline, I guess. For Leeds, I want to wait until my results are out for this January and take it from there.

Nah, I won't be doing. I'm timetabled that day.
Can anybody give me a simplified mechanism of action for lisinopril please? :puppyeyes:

I'll try :smile:

Lisinopril binds to ACE (and so reduces the amount of Angiotensin I that can bind to ACE and be converted to Angiotensin II).

Angiotensin II normally causes:

vasoconstriction: decreased AII levels will mean this doesn't happen and so there is reduced total peripheral resistance -> lower BP.

aldosterone secretion and sodium/water reabsorption in the kidneys: which raises BP, so lower AII levels -> lower BP.

As an added extra the drop in BP causes baroreceptors to release kininase II (which acts like ACE) and tries to break down bradykinin (a vasodilator). ACEIs also prevent that degradation of bradykinin (relatively increasing levels) and that potentiates its vasodilatory effect, keeping the BP lower.

EDIT: I found it helps to look at diagrams of the Renin-Angiotensin system to see where ACEI, ARBs and Renin inhibitors act and then re-draw your own diagram with the effects of AII etc added so that you have it all there in one diagram...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bubble Toes
I'll try :smile:

I only need it for a logbook, so the information you provided was exactly what I needed. Thanks! :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending