The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by milkytea
:rofl2:

Yes you are, or you're very stupid.

Last season we had been playing Arshavin as a front man since RVP was injured...

Bendtner came in and scored some good, important goals. His form was occasionally highly impressive, despite his recent poor performances.

2000 posts, yay.

Being a wind up is a by product of caring. Football is a passion of mine, not casual recreational viewing like most of you guys. I know when I see good players, good management and good football. Arsenal are so far from that right now that it's shameful. Our goal keepers and centre backs are laughable. Our "good" players such as Song, Clichy, Ramsey, Wilshire etc. are not good enough for a title winning team and only stand out amongst the pure trash such as Denilson, Walcott, Bendtner etc. Wilshire and Ramsey definitely have the potential to be one day, but 5 seasons down the line from not winning anything I'm tired of waiting, personally. Our transfers have been an absolute joke. Players like Vieira and Henry leaving were very detrimental to the club, it goes without saying our last trophy came as a result of Vieira's last game for the club. Even the new talent like Toure, Adebayor, Flamini etc. leaving was a testament to how unambitious Arsenal are. Everyone can make excuses for each player leaving but the bottom line is if Arsenal were a serious competitive club they would never have left, footballers want to be successful and all of them saw this was not going to happen at Arsenal. There is a reason we can't get in big names but our big names like Fabregas would like to play elsewhere. We are not a serious club in Europe, we are falling slowly. Barcelona couldn't have wished for a better opposition in the final 16. Our man management and tactics over the last season have been devastating to our quest for success. This lies solely on Wenger's shoulders. Speculation about Carlton Cole and Matthew Upson joining shows what kind of team we are trying to be. It's very sad.
:facepalm2:
Reply 1422
JK.
OP
You went back through all of my posts to find that, when, as the other guys says, that was made after months of us having no recognised striker and Bendtner was at least showing some promise back then. :facepalm2:

There's being a decent WUM and there's being a ****ing loser. Ah well.
Original post by ZizAli
Being a wind up is a by product of caring. Football is a passion of mine, not casual recreational viewing like most of you guys. I know when I see good players, good management and good football. Arsenal are so far from that right now that it's shameful. Our goal keepers and centre backs are laughable. Our "good" players such as Song, Clichy, Ramsey, Wilshire etc. are not good enough for a title winning team and only stand out amongst the pure trash such as Denilson, Walcott, Bendtner etc.

>Passionate about football
>Says Song and Clichy aren't good enough players
>Says Walcott is pure trash

Did you have this look on your face when writing that?
Original post by marcusmerehay
Just seen the squad sheets on the Guardian's website and they say Shea. :yy:

I think the team will be:

Szczesny

Eboue Koscielny Djourou Clichy

Song

Wilshere Fabregas

Walcott van Persie Nasri

Bench: Shea, Gibbs, Denilson, Rosicky, Arshavin, Chamakh, Eastmond/Vela/Bendtner.

I'd fancy us to win if that's the team you put out. Our weakness defensively is aerially and there's no-one in your starting 11 that stands out as an outstanding aerial threat.
Original post by cunningstunt87
I'd fancy us to win if that's the team you put out. Our weakness defensively is aerially and there's no-one in your starting 11 that stands out as an outstanding aerial threat.

Koscielny will get forward at corners and he has shown his ability in the box already this season.

van Persie is not exactly a slouch in the air either. :yy:
Reply 1426
Original post by ZizAli
Being a wind up is a by product of caring. Football is a passion of mine, not casual recreational viewing like most of you guys. I know when I see good players, good management and good football. Arsenal are so far from that right now that it's shameful. Our goal keepers and centre backs are laughable. Our "good" players such as Song, Clichy, Ramsey, Wilshire etc. are not good enough for a title winning team and only stand out amongst the pure trash such as Denilson, Walcott, Bendtner etc. Wilshire and Ramsey definitely have the potential to be one day, but 5 seasons down the line from not winning anything I'm tired of waiting, personally. Our transfers have been an absolute joke. Players like Vieira and Henry leaving were very detrimental to the club, it goes without saying our last trophy came as a result of Vieira's last game for the club. Even the new talent like Toure, Adebayor, Flamini etc. leaving was a testament to how unambitious Arsenal are. Everyone can make excuses for each player leaving but the bottom line is if Arsenal were a serious competitive club they would never have left, footballers want to be successful and all of them saw this was not going to happen at Arsenal. There is a reason we can't get in big names but our big names like Fabregas would like to play elsewhere. We are not a serious club in Europe, we are falling slowly. Barcelona couldn't have wished for a better opposition in the final 16. Our man management and tactics over the last season have been devastating to our quest for success. This lies solely on Wenger's shoulders. Speculation about Carlton Cole and Matthew Upson joining shows what kind of team we are trying to be. It's very sad.

I totally agree with this Arsenal seem to downgrade every season they have Chamakh who is no where near as good as Adebayor no matter how much the Arsenal fans hate him.
Original post by ZizAli
Being a wind up is a by product of caring. Football is a passion of mine, not casual recreational viewing like most of you guys.

This lies solely on Wenger's shoulders. Speculation about Carlton Cole and Matthew Upson joining shows what kind of team we are trying to be. It's very sad.

I'm gonna ask as I took the time to read your post.

1) How many games do you get to a season? Indeed, how many games have you been to so far this season? I ask, because of my seething hatred of your club and my view that the majority of your fans are "plastics", how you can take the moral high ground? Are you a season ticket holder? Were you born in the centre circle at Highbury? What is it that allows you to lecture to a fellow supporter about the views they hold on their club?

2) Carlton, 18 months ago, would have been a decent signing for Arsenal. Upson would still provide useful back up although if I'd seen much of Arsenal this season then I would be able to comment on whether or not he was an improvement on Koscielny or Squillaci.
Koscielny will get forward at corners and he has shown his ability in the box already this season.

van Persie is not exactly a slouch in the air either. :yy:

I've not watched much of Arsenal other than MOTD highlights, but I'm sure that Chamakh would offer a better aerial threat up front than RVP. And thanks for the tip, couple of quid on Koscielny for first goalscorer tomorrow :wink:

If we have Faubert at right back, and I've read your team right with Nasri on the left, then I think I can point out where your biggest threat will come from!!
Reply 1429

1) How many games do you get to a season? Indeed, how many games have you been to so far this season? I ask, because of my seething hatred of your club and my view that the majority of your fans are "plastics", how you can take the moral high ground? Are you a season ticket holder? Were you born in the centre circle at Highbury? What is it that allows you to lecture to a fellow supporter about the views they hold on their club?

2) Carlton, 18 months ago, would have been a decent signing for Arsenal. Upson would still provide useful back up although if I'd seen much of Arsenal this season then I would be able to comment on whether or not he was an improvement on Koscielny or Squillaci.

Carlton Cole is already punching above his weight playing for West Ham as for Upson is there a slower center back in the league?
(edited 13 years ago)
I've not watched much of Arsenal other than MOTD highlights, but I'm sure that Chamakh would offer a better aerial threat up front than RVP. And thanks for the tip, couple of quid on Koscielny for first goalscorer tomorrow :wink:

If we have Faubert at right back, and I've read your team right with Nasri on the left, then I think I can point out where your biggest threat will come from!!

I was about to say, I think everything will happen down that flank for both teams.

As far as I know you haven't got Bridge in yet (or have you?) so the fact we've got Eboue at RB won't be exploited properly.

Slightly concerned about Faubert. He's an attacking full-back so we can exploit space behind him, but Clichy is liable to stand off him as he comes forward. Should be interesting. :yy:
Original post by MoMatrix
Carlton Cole is already punching above his weight playing for West Ham as for Upson is there a slower center back in the league.

18 months ago Cole hit form, then he done his knee and lost his confidence. For another point though, I haven't seen anyone other than Stoke (before they signed Jones) and Liverpool (before they sacked Woy) interested in him.

Upson may not be the quickest but he has decent positional sense. He's got an attitude problem which is his downfall but he'd still be a capable squad player for a bigger club.

Regardless, neither are 'Wenger signings' so neither will ever join Arsenal. And it's silly season and lazy hacks print made up rumours every day, so I wouldn't worry about Upson and Cole too much.
I'd take Upson over Squillaci any day of the week.

He'd be fourth-choice behind Vermaelen, Koscielny and Djourou though.
Reply 1433
I honestly believe for Arsenal to move forward they need to get rid of Wenger. He doesn't have what it takes and seems to have lost his winning mentality over the years.
I was about to say, I think everything will happen down that flank for both teams.

As far as I know you haven't got Bridge in yet (or have you?) so the fact we've got Eboue at RB won't be exploited properly.

Slightly concerned about Faubert. He's an attacking full-back so we can exploit space behind him, but Clichy is liable to stand off him as he comes forward. Should be interesting. :yy:

I can't think of anything notable Faubert has done getting forward since he scored against Hull back in March. Sears is looking decent on the wing but he's still adjusting to it and Clichy is fairly experienced.

We have indeed now got Bridge but I suspect we'll put Boa in front of him, who has lost the little pace he had and now appears to contribute little other than picking up the customary booking. We could put Stanislas there but his defensive contribution is less than Boa's attacking contribution and would leave Bridge exposed.
I'd take Upson over Squillaci any day of the week.

He'd be fourth-choice behind Vermaelen, Koscielny and Djourou though.

I haven't seen enough of Squillaci to really comment on that, but if you got Upson for 18 months on £40k p/w (which is less than he's on with us but I suspect he'd take the pay cut for a crack at the Champions League) then he would still be worthwhile punt.
Reply 1436
I can't think of anything notable Faubert has done getting forward since he scored against Hull back in March. Sears is looking decent on the wing but he's still adjusting to it and Clichy is fairly experienced.

We have indeed now got Bridge but I suspect we'll put Boa in front of him, who has lost the little pace he had and now appears to contribute little other than picking up the customary booking. We could put Stanislas there but his defensive contribution is less than Boa's attacking contribution and would leave Bridge exposed.

I know this is off topic what happened to that Savio guy who was meant to be the next big thing for West Ham.
I know this is off topic what happened to that Savio guy who was meant to be the next big thing for West Ham.

Savio was a Zola signing. He had a cracking youth career but has gone off the radar - I think he's at Brescia now?

It's a bit like Afonso Alves when he joined Boro, at Man City or even Boselli/Rodallega at Wigan.

He never really got a chance and was sent to Fiorentina in exchange for a few quid and Manuel Da Costa. Which possibly proved to be good business as I have no idea where Savio is now, and our defence looks hopeless aerially without Da Costa.

I have moved away for Uni so I haven't been to watch Arsenal as much as I would like this season. I still think it's a stupid point to bring up asking about the amount of games a fan goes to. By your logic every manager has to have been a season ticket holder or else their abilities are inferior to those who do have a season ticket.

You are a perfect example, a perfect example of why academics like yourself and football do no go hand in hand. I brought up to West Ham players, and as a West Ham fan instead of being honest you thought being a good fan would be praising Carlton for his efforts 18 months ago and putting in a good word for Matthew. When you sign a player you don't make purchases solely on current short term form. I don't care if he was in form 18 months ago because the fact of the matter is he is awful today and the signing would have been a complete flop. The man has scored 3 goals in 22 games, what a joke.

Real fans care about the team, that's why Liverpool were chanting Dalglish's name
instead of Hodgson's. People like you don't blend in with proper fans. I'm stereotyping as some academics might understand the sport and see potential but for the most part it is like a hobby for most of you to support a team. My words are harsh and attract negative rep from nerds but I don't care, for the most part it's true. You can side with each other as much as you want on an internet forum but in the real world you're misfits. Football isn't for everyone.

Latest