The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Medicz
I know Kings and Imperial do it.
The two im really interested in are
Barts and Newcastle.

By dissection, i mean cutting up dead people not animals or something.

Thanks in advance!

Lol at your username.

St Andrews does dissection. 8 students, 1 body, every week.
Reply 121

i think what a lot of poeple mean when they say they got something out of dissection, is that it helped them understand a prosection, becos you can see how it got to that. i've only just noticed that. it helps you study a prosection, that i'd agree on.

although it doesnt help with clinical practice to do cadaver dissection, in fact it means others who dont do it are simply getting ahead of you.
keele does
Reply 123
Original post by Phalanges
I'm sure that's just something they say on the firm agreement that nobody will.

Well, test it out if you're cynical & want to know..? :tongue:
Original post by Elles

Original post by Elles
Well, test it out if you're cynical & want to know..? :tongue:

Nah, they might end up calling my bluff and then I'd have to do more work. :p:
Reply 125
Original post by mazzie111
keele does

you look familiar, macca.
Original post by Gizmo!
you look familiar, macca.

you dont.
:smile:
Reply 127
Its extremely useful. Im doing clinical medicine now, its been three years since I did dissection - it still helps me with my understanding of how structures relate to one another. Its that good!
Reply 128
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
Peninsula is the only medical school in the country which does not do dissection or prosection. Their theory is that if you are looking at dead flesh you have done something wrong as dead flesh looks very different to living tissues. We learn all our anatomy by drawing it and feeling the landmarks on each other and life models, using plastic models, looking at online resources like Aclands Dissection videos and Anatomy TV. They say that if a view of something doesn't exist that you want they will make it for you. Not only that, but you can prob download it to your iphones as well. They are quite techy, our lot. Personally, I love doing it this way because I can look at it in lots of different ways as many times as I like, and I can go through the anatomy dissection videos which are helpfully broken down into 5 minute chunks on specific parts with helpful commentary from many different angles, whenever I like as many times as I like. You can only cut something once, and I'm assuming you can only see the prosections once? If we really want to do some cutting ourselves, there's tales of a surgeon in Truro that will do small group sessions on demand.

So you do no dissection/prosection at all? Do you still get specimens that are preserved in glass/plastic? I would like to do medicine, however I can't physically dissect anything. Partly because I have arthritis (I don't have the strength in my arms to cut something and shaky hands) but also partly because the whole thing makes me feel faint. I often get told that there is no possible way I can be a doctor if I have a dissection phobia, but I don't want to go into surgery, so hopefully I'd be bypassing this as much as possible.
Original post by Phalanges
I'm sure that's just something they say on the firm agreement that nobody will.

im not sure ive ever seen anyone express an interest in being there the first time, let alone volunteering for round 2 :p:
Original post by K1994
So you do no dissection/prosection at all? Do you still get specimens that are preserved in glass/plastic? I would like to do medicine, however I can't physically dissect anything. Partly because I have arthritis (I don't have the strength in my arms to cut something and shaky hands) but also partly because the whole thing makes me feel faint. I often get told that there is no possible way I can be a doctor if I have a dissection phobia, but I don't want to go into surgery, so hopefully I'd be bypassing this as much as possible.

I've never had to cut any of the cadavers, as we (Oxford) have prosected specimens. Seem to remember a small amount of cutting on the lab animals in one or two physiology practicals?

Although only surgeons perform surgery, there are quite a lot of practical skills required of medical students and junior doctors regardless of specialty, so this may be difficult for you. There is a certain amount of strength and fine dexterity involved. For a definitive answer you are best off contacting one of your preferred medical schools directly I think.

Latest

Trending

Trending