The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You base a lot of your opinions on newspaper rumours with no substance rather than forming some for yourself. Well done. :yy:
Original post by marcusmerehay
You base a lot of your opinions on newspaper rumours with no substance rather than forming some for yourself. Well done. :yy:

What is this guy talking about? Are you OK?
You were bemoaning the 'complete collapse' of the club since the Invincibles, saying that being rumoured with Carlton Cole typified the lows of what the club has become.

What you need to realise is that when a player suddenly hits a good patch of form, the media jump on the bandwagon and think 'hmm, who might be after a player in this position?'

At the time, striker was probably our weakest position other than CB, so we were linked with a 'double swoop for Cole and Upson.'

It's no surprise, given our defensive issues, that the tabloids are linking us with the likes of Gary Cahill because of good form, when as a matter of fact, we are far more likely to be signing Emir Spahic.

Let me put this question to you - who do you think we should sign - and most importantly, why?
Reply 1443
I love Zizali and all he stands for. He brings some much needed realism to this thread :yep:

Also, he doesn't blame the referee for everything :eek4:
Original post by ZizAli
I have moved away for Uni so I haven't been to watch Arsenal as much as I would like this season. I still think it's a stupid point to bring up asking about the amount of games a fan goes to. By your logic every manager has to have been a season ticket holder or else their abilities are inferior to those who do have a season ticket.

You are a perfect example, a perfect example of why academics like yourself and football do no go hand in hand. I brought up to West Ham players, and as a West Ham fan instead of being honest you thought being a good fan would be praising Carlton for his efforts 18 months ago and putting in a good word for Matthew. When you sign a player you don't make purchases solely on current short term form. I don't care if he was in form 18 months ago because the fact of the matter is he is awful today and the signing would have been a complete flop. The man has scored 3 goals in 22 games, what a joke.

Real fans care about the team, that's why Liverpool were chanting Dalglish's name
instead of Hodgson's. People like you don't blend in with proper fans. I'm stereotyping as some academics might understand the sport and see potential but for the most part it is like a hobby for most of you to support a team. My words are harsh and attract negative rep from nerds but I don't care, for the most part it's true. You can side with each other as much as you want on an internet forum but in the real world you're misfits. Football isn't for everyone.

As you don't know me in the real world, this post is one big lol. I did 6 years of manual labour before I went to uni so I know a thing or two about the real world. I've also held season tickets through relegation and promotion seasons so I know a thing about supporting my team and loyalty. Just to clear that up between us.

And as for being at university and criticising academics not belonging in football? Why would managers need to be season ticket holders? Where is your proof that Wenger wants to sign Cole or Upson? The boat just sunk on your fishing trip.

The fact is pal you're a plastic who never goes to games and hides behind a keyboard.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1445
I would have thought a manager wouldn't need to buy a season ticket as he is paid to sit in his seat every game :dontknow:
Original post by Mess.
I would have thought a manager wouldn't need to buy a season ticket as he is paid to sit in his seat every game :dontknow:

People who have been to a game know that. Unfortunately not everyone has and presumably those that haven't make the assumption that the manager sits with the fans. But that's just a guess.
Original post by ZizAli
Being a wind up is a by product of caring. Football is a passion of mine, not casual recreational viewing like most of you guys. I know when I see good players, good management and good football. Arsenal are so far from that right now that it's shameful. Our goal keepers and centre backs are laughable. Our "good" players such as Song, Clichy, Ramsey, Wilshire etc. are not good enough for a title winning team and only stand out amongst the pure trash such as Denilson, Walcott, Bendtner etc. Wilshire and Ramsey definitely have the potential to be one day, but 5 seasons down the line from not winning anything I'm tired of waiting, personally. Our transfers have been an absolute joke. Players like Vieira and Henry leaving were very detrimental to the club, it goes without saying our last trophy came as a result of Vieira's last game for the club. Even the new talent like Toure, Adebayor, Flamini etc. leaving was a testament to how unambitious Arsenal are. Everyone can make excuses for each player leaving but the bottom line is if Arsenal were a serious competitive club they would never have left, footballers want to be successful and all of them saw this was not going to happen at Arsenal. There is a reason we can't get in big names but our big names like Fabregas would like to play elsewhere. We are not a serious club in Europe, we are falling slowly. Barcelona couldn't have wished for a better opposition in the final 16. Our man management and tactics over the last season have been devastating to our quest for success. This lies solely on Wenger's shoulders. Speculation about Carlton Cole and Matthew Upson joining shows what kind of team we are trying to be. It's very sad.

I agree with a fair bit of what you have to say. But in the pursuit of 'winning', there are certain things you cannot accept. I'm also not happy with the manager, most of the players and what's going on with the club in general, but the fact that you suggest letting Adebayor leave is a sign of a lack of ambition tells me you have no idea what it is to support this club.

Is Adebayor better than Chamakh, Bendtner, Vela and more reliable than Van Persie? Yes. Is Cashley better than Clichy and likely to be better than any left-back we'll play in the next few years? Yes. Neither of these should factor in to why we let them go. I don't like a lot of what Wenger's doing but the day our manager lets parasites like that insult the club and ourselves -- who made them what they were -- they'll be forced to **** off.
Original post by cunningstunt87
As you don't know me in the real world, this post is one big lol. I did 6 years of manual labour before I went to uni so I know a thing or two about the real world. I've also held season tickets through relegation and promotion seasons so I know a thing about supporting my team and loyalty. Just to clear that up between us.

And as for being at university and criticising academics not belonging in football? Why would managers need to be season ticket holders? Where is your proof that Wenger wants to sign Cole or Upson? The boat just sunk on your fishing trip.

The fact is pal you're a plastic who never goes to games and hides behind a keyboard.

You can edit your posts as much as you wont, you still wont come across any better.
I said I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for most. You might know your stuff but the majority of people on here don't.

You were questioning my footballing intelligence on the basis of how many games I attend. The correlation between owning a season ticket and understanding football is zero.

My fishing trip is in full flow mate, there may be no proof that Wenger was after Cole or is after Upson but if it is speculation it is not completely unrealistic. After all his only signing to strengthen our attack was Chamakh for free so now we have two forwards who have never scored more than 15 goals in a domestic league, that may not be as bad as Cole but it's all the same.
People who have been to a game know that. Unfortunately not everyone has and presumably those that haven't make the assumption that the manager sits with the fans. But that's just a guess.

I said "By your logic every manager has to have been a season ticket holder or else their abilities are inferior to those who do have a season ticket."

By your logic, not mine. To break it down I'm sure most managers never owned a season ticket before they were a manager but that doesn't make them unqualified to be in a high position in football. Therefore what relevance would me not having a season ticket have for me to be passing my comments? Would I not be worthy?

Original post by Mess.

Key word: Been
Nice of you to skilfully dodge my question.

For a (supposed) Arsenal fan you sure do moan about a load of problems but never offer any solutions.
Original post by ZizAli
You can edit your posts as much as you wont, you still wont come across any better.
I said I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for most. You might know your stuff but the majority of people on here don't.

You were questioning my footballing intelligence on the basis of how many games I attend. The correlation between owning a season ticket and understanding football is zero.

My fishing trip is in full flow mate, there may be no proof that Wenger was after Cole or is after Upson but if it is speculation it is not completely unrealistic. After all his only signing to strengthen our attack was Chamakh for free so now we have two forwards who have never scored more than 15 goals in a domestic league, that may not be as bad as Cole but it's all the same.

I edited one word in my post, but if it didn't come across to you any better then I'll live with that.

For the record, you were the one to mention a season ticket. I asked you how many games you've been to this season, which is a different question entirely. There is, funnily enough, a correlation between informed opinion when watching your team on a semi-regular basis and talking crap about media speculation and match of the day highlights. That was the point I was making and what gives you the right to lord it up over your fellow fans. You've created a whole other argument about season tickets, academics not being involved with football and "the real world".

And what makes Cole and Upson realistic transfer targets now? I could read West Ham are after Adam Le Fondre for example. Within our budget, in a position we're looking to strengthen and would presumably be willing to join us. However we're not gonna sign him.
Original post by Overmars
I agree with a fair bit of what you have to say. But in the pursuit of 'winning', there are certain things you cannot accept. I'm also not happy with the manager, most of the players and what's going on with the club in general, but the fact that you suggest letting Adebayor leave is a sign of a lack of ambition tells me you have no idea what it is to support this club.

Is Adebayor better than Chamakh, Bendtner, Vela and more reliable than Van Persie? Yes. Is Cashley better than Clichy and likely to be better than any left-back we'll play in the next few years? Yes. Neither of these should factor in to why we let them go. I don't like a lot of what Wenger's doing but the day our manager lets parasites like that insult the club and ourselves -- who made them what they were -- they'll be forced to **** off.

I understand that and yes in some circumstances it is understandable that a player leaves. However, I can't help but think the fact that the club is not showing any potential in winning a major trophy would have been an influence. It may not have been for Cole or Adebayor but it would have been for others and before too long it will be for the likes of Fabregas and whoever else wants to leave that is simply irreplaceable like like Henry, Vieira, Pires, Cole and Adabayor are. Perhaps not as much Adebayor but it's very difficult to find someone who can score 24 in the league. Chamakh has only managed 13 in a domestic season and Van Persie and Bendtner both 11.
I can't help but think that a top manager like Mourinho would have been able to hold on to some of those players Wenger had to let go as Mourinho has a superb man management style.
Original post by ZizAli
I said "By your logic every manager has to have been a season ticket holder or else their abilities are inferior to those who do have a season ticket."

By your logic, not mine. To break it down I'm sure most managers never owned a season ticket before they were a manager but that doesn't make them unqualified to be in a high position in football. Therefore what relevance would me not having a season ticket have for me to be passing my comments? Would I not be worthy?

I never mentioned season tickets, I asked you how many games you've been to this season. You then rambled some nonsense, about managers having season tickets. Managers that have been involved full time in football for a number of years.

Would you not be worthy of posting football related comments on a student forum? And you're linking this to footy managers needing a season ticket?
I never mentioned season tickets, I asked you how many games you've been to this season. You then rambled some nonsense, about managers having season tickets. Managers that have been involved full time in football for a number of years.

Would you not be worthy of posting football related comments on a student forum? And you're linking this to footy managers needing a season ticket?

Look at this guy. You have come over to the Arsenal forum and in an attempt to impress the Arsenal regulars you have challenged me for my critical but yet more realistic views. I have no idea who you think you are but I recommend you go and agree with Marcus's posts instead of disagree with mine. I'm sure you will get just as much positive rep that you are here seeking.
Original post by ZizAli
I can't help but think that a top manager like Mourinho would have been able to hold on to some of those players Wenger had to let go as Mourinho has a superb man management style.

Undoubtedly true. You do need a 'ruthless' streak at times, not a walkover pretending to be a father figure. The fact is we're paying a lot of money for a lot of average performers. I think Arshavin would be considerably better under a different manager for a top club. I think Wenger is excellent at assembling a squad of very talented players but he doesn't get anywhere near the best out of them.
None of us are here purely 'to get pos rep'.

We're here to discuss a football club that we're passionate about whether winning or losing. You only ever come along when we're losing to whinge and moan and whinge some more, and it's frankly embarrassing.

Yes, some of the stuff you say is true, but you exaggerate it too far, too often.

Yes, Mourinho is a very good manager. Would he do a good job at Arsenal? I don't think so. Probably because of my hatred towards Chelsea, and probably because I think he spends too much money.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ZizAli
Look at this guy. You have come over to the Arsenal forum and in an attempt to impress the Arsenal regulars you have challenged me for my critical but yet more realistic views. I have no idea who you think you are but I recommend you go and agree with Marcus's posts instead of disagree with mine. I'm sure you will get just as much positive rep that you are here seeking.

"Look at this guy"? Which of the Arsenal regulars are you attempting to impress? As you are clearly trying to attract an audience with an opener like that. I haven't challenged you about anything other than how many games you've been to this season to justify your arrogance. And your "critical but yet more realistic views" are just a constant stream of random b*llocks that you make up and can't substantiate.

I came over here to banter about todays match between us. Do you know Arsenal are playing West Ham today? 5.30 kick off. If there's nothing else you fancy watching on tv at that time then I suggest you put it on ESPN and catch a bit of it. :wink:
Original post by marcusmerehay
Nice of you to skilfully dodge my question.

For a (supposed) Arsenal fan you sure do moan about a load of problems but never offer any solutions.

And this donkey. Not even the courtesy to quote me but yet you demand answers. You can make as many Transfer update forums and you can research for Football Manager all you like but all you are is a carrier of information, not an opinionated viewer. You're question was who would I sign and why. I don't know who is available. If I was to believe the speculation then I would have been delighted with a Puyol signing a while back along with Senna. When you look at someone like Trzequet who joined Hercules with vast experience he has added so much confidence to that newly promoted team and has even bagged 9 goals himself. We need someone that can talk to the players in the dressing room, someone who has been there and done it. Giggs and Scholes are vital to Man United's success even by sitting on the bench. I don't want the next Cristiano Ronaldo, I want someone who has done it that the younger players can sit next to on the coach. I don't want the next Cristiano Ronaldo, I want a Diego Milito, an experienced diamond in the rough. Man United kept Scholes and Giggs. We let go of all our legends, every last one of them. I am not a manager and have not got scouts all over the world reporting me. I am more concerned with the mistakes we made and will continue to make under the reign of Wenger.

Latest