The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Comedy. :rofl2:
Original post by cunningstunt87
"Look at this guy"? Which of the Arsenal regulars are you attempting to impress? As you are clearly trying to attract an audience with an opener like that. I haven't challenged you about anything other than how many games you've been to this season to justify your arrogance. And your "critical but yet more realistic views" are just a constant stream of random b*llocks that you make up and can't substantiate.

I came over here to banter about todays match between us. Do you know Arsenal are playing West Ham today? 5.30 kick off. If there's nothing else you fancy watching on tv at that time then I suggest you put it on ESPN and catch a bit of it. :wink:

You just hit me back with the same accusations I made of you.

Good luck with your politics degree, I'm sure you will do just fine.
Original post by ZizAli
You just hit me back with the same accusations I made of you.

Good luck with your politics degree, I'm sure you will do just fine.

You stopped making any sense a long time ago; so as it will get me out of this conversation I'll leave it at that.
Reply 1463
Original post by ZizAli
I don't want the next Cristiano Ronaldo, I want a Diego Milito, an experienced diamond in the rough. Man United kept Scholes and Giggs. We let go of all our legends, every last one of them.

I'd agree with this.

My main problem is that Wenger doesn't really seem to have any great ability for motivating the players or enabling them to play above their station. Inter's players last year would have died for Mourinho. Same, to a large extent, with Ferguson's and Guardiola's squads. Have a look over the pond at AC Milan. Look at what Allegri has done to Robinho, whining, lazy, slacker Robinho. Binho's working his ass off every game for the manager and for the team. Supposed 'egos' like Ibrahimovic, Boateng, Cassano, have also been seamlessly integrated. Wenger is great for the club on an economic level, less so on the actual football pitch.
Original post by ZizAli
And this donkey. Not even the courtesy to quote me but yet you demand answers. You can make as many Transfer update forums and you can research for Football Manager all you like but all you are is a carrier of information, not an opinionated viewer. You're question was who would I sign and why. I don't know who is available. If I was to believe the speculation then I would have been delighted with a Puyol signing a while back along with Senna. When you look at someone like Trzequet who joined Hercules with vast experience he has added so much confidence to that newly promoted team and has even bagged 9 goals himself. We need someone that can talk to the players in the dressing room, someone who has been there and done it. Giggs and Scholes are vital to Man United's success even by sitting on the bench. I don't want the next Cristiano Ronaldo, I want someone who has done it that the younger players can sit next to on the coach. I don't want the next Cristiano Ronaldo, I want a Diego Milito, an experienced diamond in the rough. Man United kept Scholes and Giggs. We let go of all our legends, every last one of them. I am not a manager and have not got scouts all over the world reporting me. I am more concerned with the mistakes we made and will continue to make under the reign of Wenger.

It wasn't necessary for the others to quote you for you to reply to their posts, why should it be any different for mine?

You may think I'm not an 'opinionated viewer', but my posts in this thread would care to disagree. The times I've slated Bendtner, Eboue, Arshavin and Denilson recently would allude to that. But I also recognise where we have the ability and praise it. The Songs, the Nasris of this season have been excellent.

I am more than just a transfer guide, you know. I know I can seem like it to some extent occasionally, but your sense of elitism is frankly unnecessary.

I respect what you say about needing older players, but it hasn't really worked out for us with Gallas or Campbell. Gilberto wasn't good enough to stay. Maybe we should have kept Henry and Vieira for a season or two more. Maybe we should. But Wenger knew he had finances to control for the club's long-term future, and he sold them at what I perceive to be the right time considering the move of stadium.

The fact City came in with ludicrous bids for Toure and Adebayor doesnt bother me. While I'm slightly miffed about the loss of Toure, Adebayor thought he was bigger than the club, and yet he was nothing without the help he got from the combination of RVP and Cesc while he was here.

I'm here looking at the squad now towards the future, rather than bemoaning past failures. That's how it should be.
Mourinho plays unattractive football and is a renowned cheat. There's not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that he'd be successful at Arsenal, but his football doesn't entertain me in the slightest and I don't want it anywhere near the Grove.

He's an arrogant, whining cheat unlike his counterpart at Barcelona, who is a man everyone should admire.
Reply 1466
Original post by ZizAli
Likewise I have never negged anyone in this forum. I think it's the reason their views are so optimistic and dismiss any negative posts, in search for positive rep. Deep down they must know Arsenal are a club in severe trouble, they must.

I am sure they do.

Btw I think your viewpoints are very similar to mine. No wonder these Wenger-asslickers are hating on us so much (Y)
Original post by rhinger
Mind offering us your solutions then, genius?

Oh I know. You'll say, Keep Wenger, he'll make us financially stable for even longer.

No really, explain your solutions.

68 months and running.

If anything, you should be offering us your solutions since you despise Wenger so greatly.
Original post by rhinger
Mind offering us your solutions then, genius?

Oh I know. You'll say, Keep Wenger, he'll make us financially stable for even longer.

No really, explain your solutions.

68 months and running.

I've given my solutions in the past, and I'll happily give them again.

We need another centre-back, there's no denying that. The problem is that there aren't many experienced ones available which is why I think Spahic will be a good signing when we get him.

Offensively the only problem we have is lazy strikers, especially Bendtner. Carlos Vela showed more in the 15 minutes he was on the pitch against Ipswich than Bendtner did the whole time he was on - which goes to show what a run out of the team has done for him.

Strikers may prove expensive but let's not forget that in the past we've signed Arshavin, Adebayor and Walcott during January transfer windows.

Wenger may try and get another striker in on loan but don't get your hopes up.

Other than that, I don't see a problem with our squad. Strength in depth is good, which is the main reason we're ahead of Chelsea.

Why, what do you think we should be doing, smartarse?
Original post by rhinger
I agree, Guardiola is far better than Mourinho. May have less reputation than Mourinho 'cos of Mourinho's past successes and experience, but he's going to be much greater.

Mourinho is proven he won the CL with Porto! Everything with Inter and look at them now. Whereas Guardiola is achieving success with the greatest team seen in the last 10 to 20 years, playing a system that Barcelona have played since Cruff. Mourinho has proved that in any league with a club of varying ability he can achieve. Guardiola has simply not failed, winning with by the far the best team in the world isn't an achievement.
Original post by wallace32
Mourinho is proven he won the CL with Porto! Everything with Inter and look at them now. Whereas Guardiola is achieving success with the greatest team seen in the last 10 to 20 years, playing a system that Barcelona have played since Cruff. Mourinho has proved that in any league with a club of varying ability he can achieve. Guardiola has simply not failed, winning with by the far the best team in the world isn't an achievement.

Mourinho won brillantly at Porto, then went to Chelsea and was given zillions to spend, went to Inter and was given zillions to spend, and is now at Madrid where he has zillions to spend.

It's not purely tactics that have got him those titles, y'know.
Reply 1471
Original post by Stalin
If anything, you should be offering us your solutions since you despise Wenger so greatly.

Will do.

- Don't throw Wenger off completely. He needs to remain as at least some kind of a financial advisor for the club, as part of the Board, etc. He just has to be there because he knows the club and the league best.

- Get someone new in. Not a dodgy manager like Allardyce or Grant, but someone more ambitious. Hint hint, Guardiola, Hiddink (Arsenal should give him a shot, he's been amazing with all the teams he's managed apart from Chelsea in recent history), and, neg me as much as you lot want, Redknapp, Holloway, and Klopp, have impressed me more than Wenger has this season.

- Spend the ****ing money ffs. Up to 45 million pounds for the summer spending 2010, and we bought ****ing Koscielny and Squillaci? No more excuses about the building of the Grove creating the debt and all that garbage. There was 45 million last summer to spend and it was wasted.

- Realize that the youth policy is taking too much time and may not even end up working. Wenger may be minimizing Arsenal's short-term future chances right now itself (OR he may developing an Invincible team, time will tell) . A team needs it mixture of stars AND youngsters. Right now, we have too many youngsters.

- Stop underestimating opposition. View lineups against Wigan, Leeds, and Ipswich. Need I say more?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1472
Original post by marcusmerehay
I've given my solutions in the past, and I'll happily give them again.

We need another centre-back, there's no denying that. The problem is that there aren't many experienced ones available which is why I think Spahic will be a good signing when we get him.

Offensively the only problem we have is lazy strikers, especially Bendtner. Carlos Vela showed more in the 15 minutes he was on the pitch against Ipswich than Bendtner did the whole time he was on - which goes to show what a run out of the team has done for him.

Strikers may prove expensive but let's not forget that in the past we've signed Arshavin, Adebayor and Walcott during January transfer windows.

Wenger may try and get another striker in on loan but don't get your hopes up.

Other than that, I don't see a problem with our squad. Strength in depth is good, which is the main reason we're ahead of Chelsea.

Why, what do you think we should be doing, smartarse?

I agree with most of what you've said, apart from the points about the strikers and the squad's depth.

Edit: Sorry I prematurely clicked submit reply lulz. I'm editing it now.

Wenger hasn't even indicated who he wants for the CB position in the Jan window. And to say that I shouldn't get my hopes up, please. Our finishing has been woeful in more than half the games. YES, teams are inconsistent and have their bad patches, but for the finishing to be average in over half the games is absolutely detrimental for a title-contending side. If we can't finish chances against the likes of Ipswich and Leeds, I honestly don't think further elaboration is required. Villa could have been ours in 2008. Imagine where we'd be now.

Squad depth is good enough? Please. Then tell me why we're behind United, who on the contrary are now generally buying more youth in rather than the cliched superstars like City (I won't make a comparison with City because they've got ****loads of money, I'll agree with that).

I think the defence is well-armed, apart from Eboue, Koscielny, and Squillaci. Djourou, Clichy, and Sagna have been downright solid IMO, and Vermaelen needs to come back soon. But Wenger should have predicted this long ago that there would be injuries - Squi and Kos are simply not good enough. The midfielders are alright - but if Fabregas does leave, and Nasri gets injured next season, we'd be out-experienced by opposition. And Bendtner should leave, I'm sure he has an adverse effect on the team with all the arrogance (that his performances don't exactly merit). Get a ruthless striker in, someone who parallels Henry & pre-injury RvP.
(edited 13 years ago)
Eto'o Milito and Pandevare were his big signing at Inter Eto'o replacing Zlatan as well so it didn't massively improve the squad.

Chelsea obviously the owner was a dick shown by Shevchenko also you could argue regardless of the money he spend he squad was never as good as Barcelona's.
Madrid i'd say has been his best team and as he hasn't even completed a season not much you can say on it.

But also you can just look at the teams since he's left them. For me there is no question. I could bloody win La Liga with the Barcelona team. Another fact that shows his quality: the only time he has ever lost at home as a manager was once, at Porto. He's amazing!

Easily my favourite Mourinho moment.
Reply 1475
basically we need an established striker and a big cb?
Reply 1476
To be honest, ignoring who's right and wrong. ZizAli tore you guys a new hole. And he's more coherent and straight forward than half the bs posted on here and the internet, so it's hard not to find him amazing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tplob
To be honest, ignoring who's right and wrong. ZizAli tore you guys a new hole. And he's more coherent and straight forward than half the bs posted on here and the internet, so it's hard not to find him amazing.

Aww ZizAli, you're too kind to yourself :wink:
Y'know, even after months of him posting, I still don't have a clue what ZizAli actually wants to happen. I get that he wants to win every trophy every year, but for someone so switched on and in the know, I haven't seen much beyond he wants to sign the Barcelona captain and appoint Holloway as manager.

Am I missing something?
Original post by Panthalic
Am I missing something?

It's emotional protection. Be relentlessly negative about the club. If they win, you're happy because you win. If they lose, you're happy because you can say "told you so" and moan your tits off. I still don't get how any self-respecting gooner can pine for Adebayor though.

Anyway, I think we should be ok to get 3 points today. Lets try 1-2, Fabregas to score first.

Latest