The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit 1 - Families and Households Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christina1
Yes I was.. the haralambos.

I dont know the haralambos text book, I only know the one I'm using my Napier Press and the Nelson Thornes that I'm using for A2 (but I know my school use the nelson thornes for AS too)
Original post by teaandcoffee
how did you find it?

Not too bad i think, i thought it was fairly straightforward
That may be why, I haven't got round to education yet. (Doing that in a minute)

For the third question I gave Modood's study.

Marriage all I gave was Fletcher, Chester, Coast and Mocklin. Also includes the British Attitudes Survey and Social Trends. Also feminist perspectives.

Childhood I gave Aries, Pollock, Shorter, Postman, Hillman, Bonke, Brannens, Howard, Marx views maybe a bit of feminist.. I'm not sure.

:frown:

Hmm, for Childhood I mentioned Wagg, Benedict, Punch, Homles, Aires, Shorter (I called Shorter..stoner :redface: Only just realised my mistake) and Firestone and Holt. I thought they would all relate to the question which was about Child Centered.

Hillman and Bonke were talking about the inqualities amongst Children. Which I thought didn't relate to the question, so didn't bother adding it.

The one person I missed out was Postman, man I should have remembered. It would have been a nice way to wrap up the essay :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Silent Man
Hmm, for Childhood I mentioned Wagg, Benedict, Punch, Homles, Aires, Shorter (I called Shorter..stoner :redface: Only just realised my mistake) and Firestone and Holt. I thought they would all relate to the question which was about Child Centered.

Hillman and Bonke were talking about the inqualities amongst Children. Which I thought didn't relate to the question, so didn't bother adding it.

The one person I missed out was Postman, man I should have remembered. It would have been a nice way to wrap up the essay :frown:

I included Hillman and Bonke as in my text book it is part of the criticisms to the functionalist march in progress view that the postition of childhood hasn't improved so i thought it to be relevent to the question a bit.

Don't worry about Postman, honestly. It seems for that question everyone has put in different things/tackled the question differently :smile:
Reply 144
Original post by ilickbatteries
It's a bit of a step up from AS, as you'd expect.

Crime and Deviance as part of Unit 4 comes with Theories and Methods also, so that's a research-methods heavy exam, much like Unit 2 at AS, so there would be quite a lot to remember.

SCLY3, I've done beliefs in society, which is quite a popular topic I think. It's not greatly difficult (watch me come out with a C now...) there is more to remember than there was for SCLY1, but the topic is easy enough to understand.

Of course if you enjoy crime and deviance and you're willing to put the effort in then I'm sure you'll find it less difficult and not as much of a chore.

Thankies (:

I'll also be doing Power & Politics at A2, which seems largely a recap of my AS Politics course, and I'm hoping that will make it far easier, if not basically exactly the same. Which actually sounds quite boring.
I included Hillman and Bonke as in my text book it is part of the criticisms to the functionalist march in progress view that the postition of childhood hasn't improved so i thought it to be relevent to the question a bit.

Don't worry about Postman, honestly. It seems for that question everyone has put in different things/tackled the question differently :smile:

Yeah I suppose. I should have listened to my teacher who said that you don't get marked down for putting down the wrong thing. You just get marked up for putting down the right things. It wouldn't have hurt if I put down Hillman and Bonke's argument.

Oh well, need to learn from my mistakes and move on. Just hope the points I made was enough.

How many pages did you write by the way for that question? For both the 24 mark questions, I wrote 2 full pages for each question. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 146
I totally failed this exam... Hellow retake :frown:
Original post by Silent Man
Yeah I suppose. I should have listened to my teacher who said that you don't get marked down for putting down the wrong thing. You just get marked up for putting down the right things. It wouldn't have hurt if I put down Hillman and Bonke's argument.

Oh well, need to learn from my mistakes and move on. Just hope the points I made was enough.

How many pages did you write by the way for that question? For both the 24 mark questions, I wrote 2 full pages for each question. :smile:

Yeah it is called positive marking :wink: I tried to just put in everything I remembered, tbh the minute I opened the paper I forgot everything for about five minutes :tongue:

I am SURE you will be fine.

I saw a thread somewhere that one person got an A in F+H and included two studies.

Don't worry :smile:
Thank you that helps a lot :smile:

How did you find today's paper? I thought it was a lot more difficult than the other papers I've practised (Jan 09, June 09, Jan 10, Spec).

Mmm I thought it was okay. But last year I didn't do the families paper until june, so we had almost a whole year to practise papers and went back over things, and now I just had to do it all over again for the retake so I felt it went okay, it's just rather different from unit 3 xx
Original post by Dopey:)
I totally failed this exam... Hellow retake :frown:

I shall be joining you on the retake... major fail... never know though, might of picked up some marks :smile:
Reply 150
I totaly forgot we had to learn anything about new migration!!!!!

but the next 25 mark questions were okay, it was quite predictable that childhood would come up

say if you did bad on the first few 2 mark questions and okay on the 25 mark, what grade do you think that is? im scared:confused:
Hardly mentioned any sociologists names, not good with family names, so sociologists names are a nightmare for me. Think I might have mentioned Ansley, Benston and possibly Aries, but don't think I mentioned anything else. :?
How much did people refer to Item 2B as well?

I referred to it about three times? I hope thats okay
Original post by Nilima_i
I totaly forgot we had to learn anything about new migration!!!!!

but the next 25 mark questions were okay, it was quite predictable that childhood would come up

say if you did bad on the first few 2 mark questions and okay on the 25 mark, what grade do you think that is? im scared:confused:

If you do solid in the two essay questions i.e 19 or 20 you could get a B for sure.

If you get full marks in the essays and none in the others you could still probably get an A lol
How much did people refer to Item 2B as well?

I referred to it about three times? I hope thats okay

in the essays, i didnt at all.

woops
Original post by S129439
in the essays, i didnt at all.

woops

Oh, in the mark schemes on previous exams I did it says to refer to the Item ...
Oh, in the mark schemes on previous exams I did it says to refer to the Item ...

im sure your right. i didnt think about it. im pretty sure our teacher told us to actually.

fortunately i dont think it is a big issue.
Original post by S129439
im sure your right. i didnt think about it. im pretty sure our teacher told us to actually.

fortunately i dont think it is a big issue.

I was told you needed to in order to get into the 'top band' 19-24 marks?

I think it was only the last essay that required you to refer to the item, cos I didn't in the first essay...
I was told you needed to in order to get into the 'top band' 19-24 marks?

I think it was only the last essay that required you to refer to the item, cos I didn't in the first essay...

your probably right.

meh
Reply 159
The timing was hard , Although you have to use the items it's difficult to turn the page all the time! But I kept on saying things such as " society is child centred now because" or to an extent they are child centred ...

That's okay right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending