The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 Exam Paper January 2011 14/01/11

Scroll to see replies

Hey, so what's the general consensus?:smile: Was it hard/easy? Any ideas as to how the grade boundaries might be?
Original post by malteser12345
How many marks was question 2 worth? 6 or 7? Do i get marks for X-B(10,0.2) and do not reject H0? In which case i would get 2/6 right?

What did people get for the last 2? For 7c I got 0.478 and for 7d I got 0.467.

I think i got 0.478 for the second last question. Because I remember it was something like 0.47799 so rounded to 4.s.f was that. Do we actually lose marks for rounding it, instead of keeping it as a fraction?
Reply 362
Question 1
Original post by snowflakesblues
I think i got 0.478 for the second last question. Because I remember it was something like 0.47799 so rounded to 4.s.f was that. Do we actually lose marks for rounding it, instead of keeping it as a fraction?

I think that as long as we round to an appropriate degree of accuracy then it should be ok, i.e 3 decimal places. (thats what i did and in the mark schemes its usually awrt 3 d.p). And i used this answer (0.478) and subbed it in for the last question, i didnt use the whole number, i.e. 7 decimal places.

awrt = anything which rounds to...
Original post by cazzy-joe
Can anyone tell me last question second last and last part??

It was something like find the probability of "such and such" (I can't really remember what). But I remember that f(x) was something like k/6561(8-x^2) or something.
And the last question was given that 3 samples were taken. Find the probability that at least 2 were "the probability of "such and such""...sorry i can't be more specific, but maybe this might jog your memory :s-smilie:
I think that as long as we round to an appropriate degree of accuracy then it should be ok, i.e 3 decimal places. (thats what i did and in the mark schemes its usually awrt 3 d.p). And i used this answer (0.478) and subbed it in for the last question, i didnt use the whole number, i.e. 7 decimal places.

awrt = anything which rounds to...

Yes, I did that to. :smile: Fingers crossed they're not too fussy xD
Reply 367
How many marks was question 2 worth? 6 or 7? Do i get marks for X-B(10,0.2) and do not reject H0? In which case i would get 2/6 right?

What did people get for the last 2? For 7c I got 0.478 and for 7d I got 0.467.

It was out of 6, so you should get 2/6 if you wrote what you said. For 7c/d I got similar to those numbers.

Original post by bluecrimson
ignoring the changws to the grade boundaries

what are the percentages for
A
B
C
D
E

In theory:
A-80%
B-70%
C-60%
D-50%
E-40%

i think it was crazily hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was aiming for an A* but now im praying for an A...i think the grade boundaries willl go down...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Geniusmiss
i think it was crazily hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was aiming for an A* but now im praying for an A...i think the grade boundaries willl go down...can someone please explain the teacher one properly?

Glad to know someone's on the same boat as me :shifty: Was aiming for an A* to :frown:
Glad to know someone's on the same boat as me :shifty: Was aiming for an A* to :frown:

yeah and this was really important test for me cuz i taught myself S2 and this was my chance to prove to my parents that i can work and i will need a A* for uni admission :frown:
yeah and this was really important test for me cuz i taught myself S2 and this was my chance to prove to my parents that i can work and i will need a A* for uni admission :frown:

Maybe if it was relatively hard, the grade boundaries might be low :biggrin:
Awww bless :frown: where have you applied? Did you need to get an A* for FM? that's tough...O_O..I'm only hoping that i'll get an A* for this one..so that when it comes to S3,M3..and FP2 I wouldn't need to worry so much about getting an A.:frown:..
Reply 372
Question 5 (just had to pause for lunch!)
Maybe if it was relatively hard, the grade boundaries might be low :biggrin:
Awww bless :frown: where have you applied? Did you need to get an A* for FM? that's tough...O_O..I'm only hoping that i'll get an A* for this one..so that when it comes to S3,M3..and FP2 I wouldn't need to worry so much about getting an A.:frown:..

i needed it for any maths...since im gonna take both math and further math a level...i wanna apply to oxford...im only 15 though....
Original post by Gibbo81
Question 5 (just had to pause for lunch!)

LOL, Wheyyyyy so far I'm liking your answers as they're almost identical to mine :biggrin:

If you don't mind me asking, how'd you get the papers? Are you a teacher :s-smilie:?
Original post by t_star
Could you help me out again sorry! I'm having trouble finding D1 Solomon papers on the xtremepapers site? :confused:

http://www.xtremepapers.net/Edexcel/index.php?dir=Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/Subject%20Sorted/D1/Solomon/ here u go :smile:
i needed it for any maths...since im gonna take both math and further math a level...i wanna apply to oxford...im only 15 though....

I'm 18 my dear, I think you'll be fine when the time comes xD
Reply 379
Q7
All done.
Any comments or corrections let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending