Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Big up oxbridge rejectees at Durham 2011 :wink:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by eve_m
Not St. Mary's, but having been pooled and then rejected by Cambridge (same as you I think), I will be firming Durham and very happy about it too :smile:

High five!
Which college have you applied to? Have they given you an offer?
I've heard that Oxford and Durham do a bit of dealing which is why many Oxford offer holders are getting rejected by Durham, so we can rub our Durham offers in their smug faces :biggrin:
Reply 2622
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Aww, hope you ure alright :frown:
Have you got an offer from Durham?

Yeah, I was pooled and to me that was the same as being rejected. So I dealt with it last week (:

I don't. I actually only applied yesterday XD I wanted to see what was happening with cambridge before I filled the rest of my UCAS spaces (:
Original post by Lulope
Yeah, I was pooled and to me that was the same as being rejected. So I dealt with it last week (:

I don't. I actually only applied yesterday XD I wanted to see what was happening with cambridge before I filled the rest of my UCAS spaces (:

Oh right, I didn't realise you could do that!
Good luck with your Durham aplication!
Which college have you applied to?
Reply 2624
Oh right, I didn't realise you could do that!
Good luck with your Durham aplication!
Which college have you applied to?

Yeah I originally only applied to 3 Unis then added the rest (:

Thanks! It was a really last minute thing but I just fancied it (: I've never even been XD But it's good on paper so I'll just wait and see (:

St Johns. Since I only decided to apply yesterday I know very little about it but it looked like the one I'd fit in most from the wee videos. Didn't know about it's Christian reputation so I'm hoping it's not a huge part since I'm not really religious. What about you? (:
Reply 2625
After following this thread, I now appreciate that Durham really is a hotspot for Oxbridge rejects! (Me being one of them!)

WOO DURHAM!
Original post by Lulope
Yeah I originally only applied to 3 Unis then added the rest (:

Thanks! It was a really last minute thing but I just fancied it (: I've never even been XD But it's good on paper so I'll just wait and see (:

St Johns. Since I only decided to apply yesterday I know very little about it but it looked like the one I'd fit in most from the wee videos. Didn't know about it's Christian reputation so I'm hoping it's not a huge part since I'm not really religious. What about you? (:

All oldish colleges have a Christian reputation probably so it is fine if you aren't religious, and you enjoy whichever college you go to, don't worry. Ye Durham is good on paper, I have visited and it is really nice there, though I only went briefly. I'm looking forward to going in October! I might go in March but not sure if there is much need
Hey guys, ive been waiting for Economics and Politics (LL12) since early November now. Has anybody for this course heard back yet??

Come on Durham!!

:frown:
Original post by Hnk2401
After following this thread, I now appreciate that Durham really is a hotspot for Oxbridge rejects! (Me being one of them!)

WOO DURHAM!

Woooo! If I meet any people who aren't Oxbridge rejects, that will also be good as we don't want to be the Oxbridge reject university, we want to be in a good university in its own right!
LOL! I just saw Durham has a silent disco!
Woooo! If I meet any people who aren't Oxbridge rejects, that will also be good as we don't want to be the Oxbridge reject university, we want to be in a good university in its own right!

lol yea well Durham has had that reputation for a while but I knew I wanted to go here before I decided to apply to Oxford. I also knew I would've been far more upset not getting into Durham than Oxford. I thought I might be a little bitter but I'm really really not :smile:
What I love, even though we ARE oxbridge rejects, is that we took a shot, didnt get it, but that we're bright/interesting/whatever enough to be viable candidates.
Just because we might not be able to play chess QUITE as well as the people that did get in, we'll make up for that in other ways in a university which I believe will give us a better 'uni experience' :smile:
I've become so loyal about a university I haven't even gone to yet, lol
Reply 2631
Original post by kristinaalovesu
Have you got an offer already?
I applied to John Snow as well. But not sure if I'll get an offer from Durham though.

Yep =D
when did you send your application?
Reply 2632
High five!
Which college have you applied to? Have they given you an offer?
I've heard that Oxford and Durham do a bit of dealing which is why many Oxford offer holders are getting rejected by Durham, so we can rub our Durham offers in their smug faces :biggrin:

Hell yeah! Yeah I've got an offer for Grey (originally applied to Hatfield), where's yours for? That's a bit cheeky though, Durham aren't meant to know if you've applied to Oxbridge... Sneaky. You going on the open day? :smile: (Also, silent discos are awesome)

EDIT: just reading the comments, I think being at a university with Oxbridge rejects is nothing to be ashamed of.. Durham FTW :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2633
Durham has a little history on Oxbridge--with the Venerable Bede back to the 7th century, Durham makes a case that there has been 'scholarship' taking place in and around Durham for more than 1,000 years. Also, 3 of the Oxford colleges have roots in Durham, with Trinity College beginning life as Durham College and remained as such for 300 years until University of Durham was officially founded. Go Durham!
Reply 2634
Original post by Cactus_Man
Did they ask if you wanted to be moved, or did they actually tell you that they might move you?

They asked, I'm not entirely sure how the process is supposed to work to be honest. Apparently I'll hear from the college soon about arrangements.
Original post by skypig97
Durham has a little history on Oxbridge--with the Venerable Bede back to the 7th century, Durham makes a case that there has been 'scholarship' taking place in and around Durham for more than 1,000 years. Also, 3 of the Oxford colleges have roots in Durham, with Trinity College beginning life as Durham College and remained as such for 300 years until University of Durham was officially founded. Go Durham!

Look at you doing research! Very impressive :smile:
Original post by webber8345
CONGRATS! :smile:

How long between hearing of your offer and hearing of your college?

I got my offer last Monday :smile:
Original post by alexcs
I got my offer last Monday :smile:

that was speedy!! :O I got my offer before christmas and I still havent heard about the college.. they've forgotten about me lol.
I want to send an email as a little reminder but I know they'll be SUPER busy now so I don't know what good it'd do.
Did you hear by post? I live overseas so I was hoping they'd send an email but my inbox is empty *sigh*..
I guess if I irritate them by sending an email they can't legally take back my offer :P

congrats again!
Reply 2638
Original post by stargirll
oooh when did you submit your application?- mine still just says recieved by department but not by college booo :frown:

Applied agggggges ago, on the 16th of October, so don't worry! Are you philo too?
Original post by Alim1312
Applied agggggges ago, on the 16th of October, so don't worry! Are you philo too?

ooh that was early wish i'd been as organised as you! aww right well i shall try not to worry then :smile: I've applied for psychology :biggrin:

Latest