The Student Room Group

Any one here ever changed their name by deed poll?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I changed mine to Max Power, I got it from a hair-dryer. And my previous name was...
Reply 21
Original post by Casshern
yea but I think you have to pay for a whole new passport which can take weeks to come through and is expensive. Think you have to pay for new driving license too.

I would agree that this is true, but to be honest, if you are changing your name you should be doing it for worthwhile reasons, and not for 'fun names'. In such a case it would be worth it. Each to their own, though! :smile:
Reply 22
yea but I think you have to pay for a whole new passport which can take weeks to come through and is expensive. Think you have to pay for new driving license too.

A lot of people have to do this when they get married anyway, so its not like its all that difficult.
Reply 23
Tassadar!
x

dude we have the same username:s-smilie:
If I met someone called 'Carl Breeze' or 'Axel Rage', I would instantly think 'Douche'. Change your name to 'Schrivalup Andropov', bro.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
No. But I'm thinking of getting a middle name. It would make my name flow better. My name ends with the same letter as my surname starts with.. Too many N's. People therefore often don't get my surname right.

But it feels kind of weird. Changing something.. adding a name or whatever.
I have - I also paid extra to change from the title of "Miss" to "Mr".

I think you have to pay for your passport (I haven't done that yet, haven't travelled anywhere), but I believe the driving licence is free? They were awful, I am now on my 4th driving licence because they kept making mistakes.

It is very easy to do, but you will have to go round everyone (Drs, NI people, council etc.) to tell them which is fun - fortunately I changed my name before I had most of the things, for example I was too young to vote, and was with my parents so not paying for water..

All I can suggest is that getting something that is obvious you changed it to that is not a good idea. Something cooler by all means. Lots of people have 'Danger' as their middle name. But each to their own. Just make sure you won't regret it after. Try getting everyone to call you something different before you officially change it, and don't change it unless you're sure you aren't going to want to change it back next month. Sit on it.
Reply 28
Changed my surname by deed poll when I was 17. (It used to be you could do it over 18 by yourself or under 18 with both parents' permission but the law has since changed to 16 by yourself.)
Wasn't a big deal in terms of everyday use because I changed my surname to my mother's maiden name which I'd been using since I was 8 years old (divorce etc, Mum legally changed her name back to her maiden name anyway.)
I did it through our family's solicitors so I got it for free thanks to Legal Aid :love:. (They charged £60 normally. But you can do it online for about £30.)

As for changing other stuff.. Bank wasn't an issue because I'd open the bank account when I was 8 under that name anyway. I did have to get a brand new passport though which was something like £76. My (provisional) driver's license didn't cost anything to change, I just had to send back license with my old name and a copy of my deed poll and just wait for my new one to arrive.
As for exam certificates (like GCSE and A Level) they weren't an issue because I'd done them under this surname anyway :tongue:

I would recommend doing it through a solicitors. I did qualify for Legal Aid even though I was living at home. I don't know, the online thing is just a faff. It took all of 15 minutes in the solicitors and I got about 7 legal copies of it as well.
I was born Ian Brady but got sick of people saying "aren't you the Moors Murderer" so I changed it by deed poll to my mothers maiden name Huntley. :doh:
I know a guy who everyone calls gary even though his name is adam, dunno why.

I should have changed my forename before Year 11. Imagine changing all those exam certificates etc.
Reply 32
Yeah I've done it, I changed my first name from Paul to Alex (everyone called me Alex anyway so it was just a formality!)

The actual change was pretty easy - the only annoyance was sending the certificate to all the banks and getting a new passport. OH and family who send me birthday/christmas cheques in my old name that I can't cash in grrrr :-P

Life's pretty much the same.
Reply 33
Original post by sandys1000
Is it really only £33? Money well spent :tongue:

Mine was about £10, online.
Reply 34
Think you have to pay for new driving license too.

It's free if all you're changing is your name (and signature).
Yes.

A girl I worked with changed her name to something like Alexis Guinness
Reply 36
Change it to Paul Hiscock.

But I'll give a fiver to anyone who can pronounce my name without looking on google or of Irish heritage.

Caolan McLaughlin :')
Don't change it to dange it doesn't sound cool it sounds lane. Clarke Kent or Louis lane sounds cool.
Reply 38
Original post by munkie
Mine was about £10, online.

can you tell me what website you used please?
Reply 39
can you tell me what website you used please?

Yeah, I used http://www.thelegaldeedpollservice.org.uk/

(although it has to be said their online form produces the legal document automatically and there were a few mistakes which I had to get them to edit manually)

The best bit is they give you a PDF of your document, so if you buy a pack of really nice legal paper you can print loads of copies to send to all the people who need to know your name has changed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending