The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 Exam Paper January 2011 14/01/11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by JGKR
in that teacher question, i did it just as the unofficial mark scheme did, but when i wrote down the final probabilty for some reason i wrote 0.1207 and not 9. i also wrote in the conclusion 12.07%>5%. how much is this going to hurt my marks?

The 12.07 part you possibly will lose a mark, rest is ok.

Original post by azaz321
Hi, In question 2 I did H1: P<0.2 and I know its wrong.. but i did the whole question using <0.2 and in the end I said reject H1 and that teacher's claim is wrong.. would i get 1 mark for that? And also in the other hypothesis question i put H0:P=8 then H1:P<8.. would i get atleast a mark for that?

For the first Hypothesis test:

You will possibly lose a few marks there if they will ONLY accept H1 as being >0.2. Also another mark lost for saying that Teacher's claim is wrong [like what I did].

For the 2nd one:

Yes saying that hypothesis is correct in theory and I seen them given in past papers.
Original post by Gibbo81
This is not entirely true.
Maths needs 6 modules, C1-4 and two applied modules they can be AS or A2
AS Further needs FP1 and two other modules again either AS or A2 units are fine
Eg
Maths - C1234 S1 M1
F Maths FP1 D1 D2
The applied modules can be moved around to maximise your grade.

Yeah I know, that's what I said in the previous post :/ I was just replying to her question..
Reply 482
Original post by Gibbo81
Thanks

Kinda off topic but what pen are you using? it looks really nice XD :colondollar:
Reply 483
Original post by Spongy
Ermmm, well I hope I do get the marks because quite a few people I know did the integration to show the area was equal to one and I also know people who found the equation like you did. Both are correct methods.
A question like that has come up before but in that question you had to find the equation (you were not given it).
Seeing as the question is 4 marks; I believe 2 marks are for specifying the p.d.f. fully and the two marks for showing the p.d.f. is correct.
So in your method that would be 1 mark for gradient and 1 mark for equation.
In my method it would be 1 mark for integration and 1 mark for showing it is equal to one.
I hope that my method is credited for in the exam as it is also correct! (but as you say it might not be what they were looking for) :frown:

Thinking about it you may be right. I guess you could also just use the formula for the area of a triangle and show that it equals 1.
I'm just inclined not to use the final result in the solution to any 'show that' questions.
Reply 484
Original post by atofu
Kinda off topic but what pen are you using? it looks really nice XD :colondollar:

one of those triangular pens for people with crap handwriting.
And yeah it is pretty sweet.
Reply 485
Original post by snowflakesblues
Yeah I know, that's what I said in the previous post :/ I was just replying to her question..

Yeah sorry I didn't see your earlier post.
Original post by Gibbo81
one of those triangular pens for people with crap handwriting.
And yeah it is pretty sweet.

I like your Handwriting :biggrin: and your answers :biggrin:
Reply 487
ummm yer i think the null hypothesis was her guessing and the teachers claim was justified so it would have been insignificant yer
Original post by cpm1
Pretty pleased with how this went, should be a decent UMS. However I certainly think it was an 'easy' S2 paper so the UMS conversion could be a bit harsh on a couple of silly mistakes.

:OOOOOO u got 11A* and A*A*A*A*A* prediction for A level and you got rejected by oxford? Are you being ****ing seriouss? OH MY GOD im never going to have a chance!
Reply 489
Original post by dundiddyknoe
:OOOOOO u got 11A* and A*A*A*A*A* prediction for A level and you got rejected by oxford? Are you being ****ing seriouss? OH MY GOD im never going to have a chance!

No, no you won't.

Lmao I got 5A*s 5As and a B at GCSE and predicted A*A*A*A at A level, I got in (Y)
Imo, its all about the admissions test :wink:
Original post by beeristhebest
Lmao I got 5A*s 5As and a B at GCSE and predicted A*A*A*A at A level, I got in (Y)
Imo, its all about the admissions test :wink:

LOOOL woahhh ratings! gna have to do good in that then :biggrin:
Original post by Firaila
No, no you won't.

shut up.
shut up.

You know he's making a joke right?
Reply 494
You know when in question 3 it said find that at least 10 of these observations are negative? By that did they mean that 0.25 was positive and we had to figure for ourselves that therefore negative meant (1-0.25) or...?
Reply 495
Question 5.

Why is 14 used for the normal distribution and not 15 ? I thought as normal is contionous 15 would be included and then u do the error correction and it be 15.5
Original post by NorthPark
Question 5.

Why is 14 used for the normal distribution and not 15 ? I thought as normal is contionous 15 would be included and then u do the error correction and it be 15.5

The question said less than 15 - that implies we want everything less than or equal to 14. Therefore the continuity correction would be 14.5
Original post by Nibbl3s
You know when in question 3 it said find that at least 10 of these observations are negative? By that did they mean that 0.25 was positive and we had to figure for ourselves that therefore negative meant (1-0.25) or...?

0.25 WAS negative as P(X<0)=0--1/3--1=1/4.
Reply 498
shut up.

Relax mate, I'm sure you'll get into Oxford :borat:
Original post by Gibbo81
Q6

How did you get the question paper? Are you a wizard?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending