The Student Room Group

A-level choices for Psych.

Hey =] I'm currently in Y11, and have to choose A-levels for 6th form; pretty set on doing Psych at uni.
I was just wondering exactly how important Maths is? (I know there are a fair few stats involved, but then others say they're not too bad because you have programs to help you bla blah.. ). I'm predicted A/A* at Maths GCSE, and could do it for A-level, but I don't like the subject and would rather not if i didn't have to tbh.
Ideally, I'd love to take Psych, Bio, English Lit & French, but is this a strong enough combination to get into the better unis; will the psych + bio compensate for lack of maths?
Thanks in advance, it would be really helpful because so far I've only got people telling me completely different things, and 6th form application to fill in lol(: x

Scroll to see replies

I'm also in Yr 11 atm :smile:

My career advisor says it's fine as long as at least 3 are traditional subjects, English, Maths, Science etc. With your choices you should be set!
Reply 2
Thanks Charlie (:
Reply 3
The most that top universities will ask of you is a B at Maths GCSE. I'd say English, Psychology and another science would be a good way to go. They aren't too picky with the subjects, though.
Reply 4
^ Sorry to be annoying, but does that even include Oxbridge, UCL etc.? It's just because I've been told by some teachers at my school that I really ought to take it, but I really don't want to lol. But then again, my teachers are incredibly biased and think of psych as a soft subject anyways >.< In that case I'd probably be looking at Psych, Bio, English Lit to A2.
Reply 5
It all depends on how strong you want your application to be and how competitive the courses are when you apply. A level maths will not (probably- who knows in a few years?) be a requirement but it won't hurt either. I would say science subjects can probably give you enough maths background to start you off, but I have no knowledge of what York/UCL/Oxbridge... courses are like on the maths front.
Reply 6
Your choices should be fine. Maths would probably help if you were really keen on the Oxbridge thing - it just shows that you have the right attitude towards Psychology really, from the scientific side. You'd have to be confident you could get an A though...
Reply 7
Original post by sonrisaa.
Hey =] I'm currently in Y11, and have to choose A-levels for 6th form; pretty set on doing Psych at uni.
I was just wondering exactly how important Maths is? (I know there are a fair few stats involved, but then others say they're not too bad because you have programs to help you bla blah.. ). I'm predicted A/A* at Maths GCSE, and could do it for A-level, but I don't like the subject and would rather not if i didn't have to tbh.
Ideally, I'd love to take Psych, Bio, English Lit & French, but is this a strong enough combination to get into the better unis; will the psych + bio compensate for lack of maths?
Thanks in advance, it would be really helpful because so far I've only got people telling me completely different things, and 6th form application to fill in lol(: x

Psychology and Biology compliment each other, so I would say that's a good choice - but it would not "compensate" for Maths. However, that's not to say, you HAVE to pick it in order to do Psych.

Your chosen subjects are good enough. Languages aren't looked down upon, in fact they're considered to be a "core" subject to some Uni's.

Besides, you might decide to take up psych and french at uni - never know
^ Sorry to be annoying, but does that even include Oxbridge, UCL etc.? It's just because I've been told by some teachers at my school that I really ought to take it, but I really don't want to lol. But then again, my teachers are incredibly biased and think of psych as a soft subject anyways >.< In that case I'd probably be looking at Psych, Bio, English Lit to A2.

That looks like a pretty good combo all in all. As someone who got into UCL* and Oxford this year with Biology, Classics and, yup, Theatre Studies as their three A levels I'll tell you I had huge issues (more with my own anxiety about getting in than anything).

I took maths for AS not because I wanted to but because I thought I needed it for psychology and found it pretty easy at GCSE. I fully intended to drop Theatre Studies after AS and take maths to A2. However, I HATED maths at AS level and got a C. I had to drop it in order to get the predicted grades to apply to the top unis, and am now retaking my maths AS this year on top of my other A2s. Luckily though it isn't a condition of any of my offers- BUT it's going to have to be on my CV and I don't want it to be bad :frown: From that standpoint if you don't like maths, I'd say don't take maths.

However, honestly without my maths AS I don't think I'd have had a ghost of a chance of getting in to the top unis for psychology. I'm also taking an extra module of Stats (a third of the maths A2 course) in attempt to prove I would be able to cope with all the Stats in the degree (lots).

Weirdly although Oxford and UCL saw past my theatre studies A level, I spoke to a tutor from York's psych department and they laughed in my face when I attempted to defend the subject. Funnily enough, they haven't got back to me yet. I knew not taking maths to A2 would be the only way I could apply to the top two unis, but might well jeopardise my chances at other unis like York who want AAB but expect more sciencey subjects.

So all in all I'd say the most essential thing when it comes to your A levels is doing well. Having enough sciences and taking maths comes second to that. If you think you can get an A in maths without really enjoying it (I couldn't but lots of people can and do) then you should definitely definitely take maths. When it comes to my subject choices I'm the exception, not the rule: you need to strike a balance of doing well, loving the subjects you study, and doing enough sciences. I found myself fighting to make the absolutely best of every other opportunity to do well in my UCAS application far more than anyone else because I was so worried about my subjects. Remember though, French and English are a lot more desirable than Theatre Studies.

Of course your grades and subjects alone are only half the battle, but you should try and get them right! Will biology on its own be enough? No. Will biology AND psychology without maths be enough? Yes, most probably. Should you take maths anyway? Yes, if you can deal with it and get an A but no if not.

Sorry about the long-arse reply but you can probably tell that three years ago I was in the same situation you are now, and wish I'd had someone to tell me this at the time!
Reply 9
As you're predicted an A* in maths, I'll assume you're intelligent. And as you're talking about "the better unis", I'll assume you're very intelligent.

I did humanities based subjects at GCSE, AS and A2 (history, art, psychology, religious studies). Predicted mainly A*s, 1 A. I applied for psychology at UCL (ranked no. 1) and was rejected because I didn't do biology. I also applied to Oxford, this time applying for psychology & philosophy, got to the interview, had no idea about A2 maths terminology, and was subsequently rejected.

If you're seriously thinking about top unis for psychology - Oxford, Bristol, UCL, Warwick etc - in an ideal world, you should study at least one science and maths. Psychology isn't even a requirement, but obviously it's valuable. Think about it this way - you might not enjoy maths, but you'll only have to study it for 2 years, and it will just improve your chances of pursuing the career you have such a passion for. 2 years vs. your whole life...

Not having maths and a science has forced me to take a gap year to fast track both at A2. Don't make the same mistake I did!
Reply 10

Our A-level choices are quite simialr I want to take English lan, Spanish, Psych, Bio
Have you looked at the FAQ stickied at the top of this subforum?
Reply 12
Bearing in mind the first year of Psych is very much statistics, Maths would really aid you. The better Unis tend to ask for either one or two sciences, Maths included. Psych isn't actually a needed A-Level, however you'd be at an advantage to have it.

Your best bet, in terms for being prepared for the course, I reckon, would be doing 4 A Levels and keeping them through (seeing as you're most likely intelligent, and Unis have dropped offers sometimes based on the 4th A-Level) and doing something like Biology, Maths, Pysch and then another Classic that you know you can do very well in would probably give you optimum chances of success.

FOR OXFORD: The entrance paper you have to take is 1/2 problem solving, 1/2 Critical Thinking. If you're looking at Oxford, definitely take Critical Thinking if offered to optimise your chances.

But as someone said earlier, (not sure who) the most important thing is doing A-Levels you'll do well in. There're no compulsory A Levels (except the top ones, they deffo want one science, Bath or Bristol I think want two) so take decent A-Levels you have the best chance of succeeding in.

Good luck!
Maths gcse is fine, the minimum is usually grade b with grade a prefered. you definitely dont need to do the a level especially if youre not keen on the subject. however if in doubt an AS in maths would definitely be enough.
Reply 14
I've been invited to an open day (last part of the application process) at UCL. It's in my sig, but I did Psychology, Biology, Philosophy, English and Theatre Studies at AS, then dropped the latter two at A2. As long as you have one or more science based subject you'll be ok :smile:

and I only got a B at maths GCSE, so in terms of UCL they've accepted me on the boundary grade there. I think an AS level in maths would be advisable but not critical, as you do stats in both psych and biology anyway (but obviously not to the same extent).
Reply 15
Only 1 in 6 Psychology graduates go into Psychology as a career, so choosing some useful A levels (so not Psychology then!) would be a good idea.
Reply 16
Original post by CODKING
Only 1 in 6 Psychology graduates go into Psychology as a career, so choosing some useful A levels (so not Psychology then!) would be a good idea.

Good logic there :rolleyes:
Original post by CODKING

OP Would learn skills during a Psychology degree that would be transferrable to other careers, regardless of what A-Levels she had, it doesnt mean she'd have a problem getting a job outside of Psychology :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Pheebs1201
OP Would learn skills during a Psychology degree that would be transferrable to other careers, regardless of what A-Levels she had, it doesnt mean she'd have a problem getting a job outside of Psychology :biggrin:

That's a fair point, but you are already putting yourself on the back foot jobwise by just touting "I've got a degree" rather than I've got exactly the right qual for this job and possibly work experience to prove it. You also can't chip in with "I've always wanted to work banking, retail etc." when your original degree doesn't reflect this.
Original post by CODKING
That's a fair point, but you are already putting yourself on the back foot jobwise by just touting "I've got a degree" rather than I've got exactly the right qual for this job and possibly work experience to prove it. You also can't chip in with "I've always wanted to work banking, retail etc." when your original degree doesn't reflect this.

Alot of careers dont require specific degrees though, but I see your point.

Quick Reply

Latest