The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by OneInSolidarity
The Kite :P
Slingshot
Brass knuckles

I'd be pushed to come up with more. Could you perhaps say that physical journeys are symbolic of spiritual journies?

Grass in the Ghazi stadium, pomegranate tree, contrast between old and new Afghanistan, old Afghanistan symbolises Amir's happy childhood, new Afghanistan symbolises Amir's unhappy period. You could take pathetic fallacy and easily turn it into a symbol, and say it has 2 interpretations etc.
Original post by TWF
contrast between old and new Afghanistan, old Afghanistan symbolises Amir's happy childhood, new Afghanistan symbolises Amir's unhappy period.

You could also argue that the old Afghanistan, while they were living in luxury in the 'best house in the district', Amir was actually unhappy, feeling like he wasn't good enough for his father; 'I wouldn't have known he was my son'. Post old-Afghanistan however their relationship completely changes, Baba telling Amir that this is the 'happiest day of my life' and that, while dying, that there would be 'no pain tonight'. Hosseini is portraying the message that happiness is not brought about by the fulfilment of materialistic desires due to the fact that when living in relative poverty his relationship with his father blossoms. Also when returning to new Afghanistan, Amir finally finds redemption; 'I felt healed. Healed at last'. Again, the desecration of the Kabul he knows actually seems to represent atonement and catharsis.

Bit of AO3 there :yes:

(I 100% agree with yours btw, just adding)
Reply 282
You could also argue that the old Afghanistan, while they were living in luxury in the 'best house in the district', Amir was actually unhappy, feeling like he wasn't good enough for his father; 'I wouldn't have known he was my son'. Post old-Afghanistan however their relationship completely changes, Baba telling Amir that this is the 'happiest day of my life' and that, while dying, that there would be 'no pain tonight'. Hosseini is portraying the message that happiness is not brought about by the fulfilment of materialistic desires due to the fact that when living in relative poverty his relationship with his father blossoms. Also when returning to new Afghanistan, Amir finally finds redemption; 'I felt healed. Healed at last'. Again, the desecration of the Kabul he knows actually seems to represent atonement and catharsis.

Bit of AO3 there :yes:

(I 100% agree with yours btw, just adding)

What did you get in your two pieces of coursework and what c/w did you do
Original post by EffKayy
What did you get in your two pieces of coursework and what c/w did you do

The AS coursework? I had a decent A in one and a high B in the other. A overall (just). Did a re-creative piece for The Crucible and an Essay on Hamlet. If you mean the A2 coursework, I don't know yet :smile:
Reply 284
The AS coursework? I had a decent A in one and a high B in the other. A overall (just). Did a re-creative piece for The Crucible and an Essay on Hamlet. If you mean the A2 coursework, I don't know yet :smile:

Yeah i was on about AS. :smile:
I just saw your enduring love post thing and it is quite good! :smile: I'm doing AS now, but i'm doing the exam in june.
Reply 285
Argh! I hate this exam so much, it's so bloody random :mad:
I neeeeed an A aswell :confused:

My teacher showed some of us papers that got full marks last year and I just couldn't see the difference between that and people that got B's, ahh I'm stressing
Original post by EffKayy
Yeah i was on about AS. :smile:
I just saw your enduring love post thing and it is quite good! :smile: I'm doing AS now, but i'm doing the exam in june.

aha good luck! I hope you do better than I did :wink: Just remember when it comes to the time, concentrate on and practice hitting all the assessment objectives. Got a D in June as I missed them all!
Original post by nerd123
Argh! I hate this exam so much, it's so bloody random :mad:
I neeeeed an A aswell :confused:

My teacher showed some of us papers that got full marks last year and I just couldn't see the difference between that and people that got B's, ahh I'm stressing

Me too :frown: I NEED a B but I want an A so I can go to Bath :frown: Looking unlikely now - I think I got a B on this years coursework (teacher dropped a hint that they were a bit off point :sadnod:)
Hi, I'm planning on writing my answers exactly how AQA would want instead of wasting my time doing otherwise. Does anybody have the mark scheme that they use? I have one for Section A - Question 1 where it says how to hit A02, by "exploration and analysis of key aspects... with perceptive evaluation" and all that, but does anybody have this for the other questions too? It'd be really helpful. :smile:

Also, can anybody tell me the difference between form and structure?

and if the frameworks like characterisation are only for A02 or should they be used throughout the paper?

Please, please, please help, I'm babbing myself :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 289
Me too :frown: I NEED a B but I want an A so I can go to Bath :frown: Looking unlikely now - I think I got a B on this years coursework (teacher dropped a hint that they were a bit off point :sadnod:)

Hopefully we'll be okay! You still may be able to get an A! Last year I got a B in my cw and got a C in the exam and overall got a B (I have no idea...)
Let's just pray for each other :tongue:
The sad thing is, I want to do English at uni, and I can't even get this exam right, not looking hopeful is it :wink:
Reply 290
Original post by nerd123
Hopefully we'll be okay! You still may be able to get an A! Last year I got a B in my cw and got a C in the exam and overall got a B (I have no idea...)
Let's just pray for each other :tongue:
The sad thing is, I want to do English at uni, and I can't even get this exam right, not looking hopeful is it :wink:

I'm in a similar situation to you, I got an A in my coursework and a C in my exam (one mark off a B :frown:)... Which means I got a mid-B overall, which is higher than my predicted but my teachers still said I could re-sit if I wanted (which I do). I was disappointed with that mark, I expected a little better if I'm honest... but I think it was mainly due to the fact that I didn't follow the AOs at all :rolleyes:, I didn't really think it was that important, so long as I wrote a good essay... turns out it was (quite obviously)
Reply 291
Original post by Liam_G
I'm in a similar situation to you, I got an A in my coursework and a C in my exam (one mark off a B :frown:)... Which means I got a mid-B overall, which is higher than my predicted but my teachers still said I could re-sit if I wanted (which I do). I was disappointed with that mark, I expected a little better if I'm honest... but I think it was mainly due to the fact that I didn't follow the AOs at all :rolleyes:, I didn't really think it was that important, so long as I wrote a good essay... turns out it was (quite obviously)

Haha same, I swear in the 1 hour essay I didn't mention structure or form at all... I guess we learnt our lesson :wink: the AOs are such annoying little things!
Original post by nerd123
Haha same, I swear in the 1 hour essay I didn't mention structure or form at all... I guess we learnt our lesson :wink: the AOs are such annoying little things!

In the hour essay I didn't hit any AO2's!! Just AO3 and AO4. :yes:
and in section Ai we got given some mundane chapter that might aswell have been taken out the damn book!
Reply 293
Original post by nerd123

I know! They seem so hindering and restrictive to the individual... How am I supposed to show how good I am at English, and how I can structure my own opinion and response when I have an objective set of criteria to consider?!

I guess there has to be some sort of structure to the mark-scheme though :tongue:

(I want to study English at Uni too... I've convinced myself that this is my chance to prove my own worth, which was clever of me... it's not like i'm under enough stress as it is :rolleyes:)
By any chance, does anybody have any sample exam answers?! This would be appreciated so so so much. As I'm struggling so much and it's tomorrow!! AHHHH :/
Reply 295
hi 8) im in the same position, panicingggg.
I got a high C in the coursework, but did terribly in the exam. If I got a B this time would it be enough to push me up to an overall B?
:/
Reply 296
Quick question for anyone doing 'The Great Gatsby' -

If symbolism comes up in Section B which two points out of:

the Green light
Valley of Ashes
Doctor Eck's eyes
Time

should I write about?
Original post by casio99

the Green light
Valley of Ashes
Doctor Eck's eyes
Time

should I write about?

Personally I would go for the green light which also flashes so you can say something about that. And combine the valley of ashes and doctor ecklesburg. Representing god looking down on a world plagued by social decay in the form of the desolate landscape of the valley of ashes.
Original post by rgm:D
hi 8) im in the same position, panicingggg.
I got a high C in the coursework, but did terribly in the exam. If I got a B this time would it be enough to push me up to an overall B?
:/

It would if you got a good solid B as its all about UMS marks and shiz:bl:

I would just like to say to everyone taking the exam tomorrow, whether it be your first time, or a re-sit (like me), good luck! First timers, it's really early in your course, there is no need to panic, just take the exam as if it is just a way of proving yourself and how amazing you all are. For all you re-sitters, we know what went wrong last time (I panicked and wrote a whole lot of rubbish:s-smilie:), and we know what to expect. Even if they throw us a stupid question that we aren't expecting, just take a deep breath and you know all about your texts so just be awesome and go for it! As long as we stick to what AQA ask, there is no way we can lose! GO TEAM ENGLISH LIT!!!!! :elefant::elefant::elefant:

Oh, and an awesome tip from my psychology teacher, read all the questions you are going to do first. Then, while you are writing one answer you brain is psychologically mulling over the other questions and thinking what to write!!! :flower2:

Good luck and hope this helps!!:grouphugs:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 299
Original post by casio99

the Green light
Valley of Ashes
Doctor Eck's eyes
Time

should I write about?

I would do as genocidal said, the green light and then the VoA with Doctor Eck's :yes:

Nerves :emo: Although am I right in thinking that even if you wrote complete babble it's hitting the AOs that count? So for different interpretations you could just make up some random **** that no one probably thinks :shifty:

Just finished my History and Psychology revision for today (Three exams in three days :shot:) Now to work on English for the next 12 or so hours...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending