The Student Room Group

F581 Jan 12 2011: OCR AS Economics exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
our college is definitely complaining, im sure that they would welcome your college's input on the matter.

oh and as for not having that good lecturers... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/top-of-their-class-the-independentrsquos-alevel-league-table-1775114.html if you look close enough at the top ten colleges, greenhead is 7th in the country and has been in the top ten for the past 5 years now, topping it several occasions. so its definitely because we have rubbish lecturers :wink:
Reply 81
Original post by hopefulgunner1
Sounds like your guys lecturers arent soo good. I dont think complaining will do anything. i was really worried after the exam, but having spoke too my lecturer he said i should be on for an A :smile: he said hell by me a drink if i get one :smile: to any one who moved the demand curve, will would say thats catastrophic failure and your a "thick head"... but i wouldnt worry, the exam syllabus is small so revising for a retake shouldnt be too difficult.

My lecturer is very good. I know cross elasticity of demand and I am hoping to get atleast 8/10 for the question, luckily I revised it just in case and the paper was rather easy. I'm not personally complaining. I was merely referring to what the chief examiner said to several representatives and it have unfair implications on some students in colleges. My lecturer was merely misinformed, and it in no sense has referral to the ability of a lecturer, if a chief examiner says something like that, it is a certainty- but for some reason not a promise kept, as it appeared on the paper.
Reply 82
Original post by Groat
I also put it was a quasi-public good, I was assuming that question would be more than 4 marks as it normally asks you 'to what extent' is it a public good. I spoke about some beaches being made excludable as well, but with difficulties, then mentioned how an empty beach is non-rivalrous, but a full beach is rivalrous.

Also, I'm pretty sure (unless someone has a decent enough reason to prove me wrong) that the demand curve has no reason to shift in that question.

There was no reason to assume that demand would increase, the building of hotels etc would cause supply to shift to the right. Demand shouldnt have change.
Reply 83
Original post by Patelios
There was no reason to assume that demand would increase, the building of hotels etc would cause supply to shift to the right. Demand shouldnt have change.

Thank you for clarifying something I've already said?

Regarding the XED nonsense, I think it was foolish of a lecturer not to cover the whole syllabus regardless of the fact that the chief examiner said it wouldn't be examined. Yes, he shouldn't have said it, but it just proves that institutions only care about exams now.
Surely students should know about XED? You can't just ignore it.
Is anyone else really unsure of how they have done in the exam? I have no idea whether ive done really well or not so well!
Reply 85
Si Hartley!!!!

I'm a teacher from St Mary's College Blackburn and exactly the same thing happened to me. We've already sent a letter of complaint to OCR. I will be calling your school tomorrow to speak with you head of department. I'm unsure of whether you are a student or teacher there. But if you give your head a department a 'heads-up' that would be great.

Best wishes and hope to speak to someone at your school tomorrow.

Kate Flanagan
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jessicabarry
Is anyone else really unsure of how they have done in the exam? I have no idea whether ive done really well or not so well!

Yes! I really don't know how I did. Even before reading this thread, I was confused as to how i'd performed in the exam. Oh well, we'll see how we did in March.
Reply 87
Original post by Groat
Thank you for clarifying something I've already said?

Regarding the XED nonsense, I think it was foolish of a lecturer not to cover the whole syllabus regardless of the fact that the chief examiner said it wouldn't be examined. Yes, he shouldn't have said it, but it just proves that institutions only care about exams now.
Surely students should know about XED? You can't just ignore it.

Sorry if i gave the false impression that they didn't teach it is, they did, however this was quite a while back, and we were advised that it would not be appearing on the exam. As a result we (well I for one) didn't revise XPED anywhere near as thoroughly as the rest of the syllabus, leaving us with only basic knowledge on the topic, no where near the comprehensiveness of the rest. So to see it come up was quite a surprise to us all, and considering that the question(s) that were on the paper held quite a few marks and require perhaps more thorough knowledge than what we anticipated we would need, didn't do as well as expected.
Reply 88
Original post by Katemflan
Si Hartley!!!!

I'm a teacher from St Mary's College Blackburn and exactly the same thing happened to me. We've already sent a letter of complaint to OCR. I will be calling your school tomorrow to speak with you head of department. I'm unsure of whether you are a student or teacher there. But if you give your head a department a 'heads-up' that would be great.

Best wishes and hope to speak to someone at your school tomorrow.

Kate Flanagan

Thanks Kate, only just seen your message so I didn't have chance to let our Head of Department know you were going to call. Hopefully you got through though. But the more weight we have behind our argument the more chance we have of sorting this mess out I suppose.

Si

By the Way I'm a first year pupil, not teacher :smile:
Reply 89
[QUOTE="suicidaloverbusiness;29344916"]
Original post by carl_b

I pretty much mentioned everything in the last question; except, I didn't draw a diagram. I was contemplating drawing a negative externality diagram to demonstrate the effect of a pollution permit but I just felt it was unecessary, so I simply explained it in words. Plus, I was running out of time and needed to evaluate my conclusion. Is the diagram crucial for a level 3 or even a 4?

Well tbh i'm not reli sure if its crucial for level 3 or 4 but i do know that you'd get silly marks for it lol so yu cuda picked up some easy marks but as long as you gave a conclusion at the end i fink you'll be fine
[QUOTE="posh.totty;29661426"]
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness

Well tbh i'm not reli sure if its crucial for level 3 or 4 but i do know that you'd get silly marks for it lol so yu cuda picked up some easy marks but as long as you gave a conclusion at the end i fink you'll be fine

Damn! Ok, well thanks for the reply. :smile:
I wrote about the negative externalities in the final 18 marker. I was thinking of drawing the Tradable permits graph but settled for the 'over production' diagram. I asked my Economics teacher and she said that many people got confused between the two (as she is an examiner as well). The mark scheme will be soft on the 18 marker as many students were confused.
At least I'm hoping it will be :L
Reply 92
Anyone have a copy of the paper or a mark scheme?
forgot most questions!
what do you think the grade boundaries will be?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending