The Student Room Group

Revision tips/advice for certain Highers.....much appreciated :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by armadillo91
i'm really struggling with how to revise for english - especialy the timing :frown: i can write good answers for homework when theres no pressure or time limits, but i freak out in class and dont finish :mad: does anyone have any advice on how to speed up but still get good marks? and any tips on how to calm down and stop stressing :colondollar: x

what my teacher says is timed exercises are essential if u want to get a good grade so what u need to do is get a past paper choose question u dnt necessarily have to write the full essay write brief plan and then write a paragraph give urslef a 12 min time limit u have to discipline urself n stop when those 12 mins stopkeep doin this and u will b fine i have improved a lot since i started doin this i got a 17 for my last one up from a 15 so its not a major improvement but it takes time good luck
Reply 21
Is it 40 mins for an English essay?

I'd do this

5 mins introduction
25 mins main body
5 mins conclusion
5 mins for writers block/planning/thinking etc.

Get an alarm, set it for 5 mins, write as much of an introduction as you can and if you run out of time, set your alarm for 25 mins and start writing the main body, same for conclusion.

Do this again and again and again until you have learned to write fast enough to do a 35 minute essay :smile:
Anyone have any tips for Computing revision?

There seems to be so much in the course! Like... far more than any other subjects I've chosen for Highers!
Reply 23
Original post by LonelySoul193
Anyone have any tips for Computing revision?

There seems to be so much in the course! Like... far more than any other subjects I've chosen for Highers!

Revise revise revise is the only way :frown: Definitely learn all the algorithms and that other thing. It's like the instructions for reading/writing memory (uses the cpu, data bus, address bus). Can't for the life of me remember it but thats an easy few marks haha. Also the process for a camera/scanner to take a picture is a few easy marks.

The calculations are relatively simple aswell :smile:
Original post by Delaney
Revise revise revise is the only way :frown: Definitely learn all the algorithms and that other thing. It's like the instructions for reading/writing memory (uses the cpu, data bus, address bus). Can't for the life of me remember it but thats an easy few marks haha. Also the process for a camera/scanner to take a picture is a few easy marks.

The calculations are relatively simple aswell :smile:

Thanks, it's just so hard to remember it all! :frown:

The process for a camera/scanner to take a picture? whattttt? See, this makes me all worried because my teacher DEFINITELY hasn't went over that... And I'm pretty sure we've finished both Software Development and Computer Systems, and I doubt that comes in under A.I.?

Also, do you know of any resources that you found useful? :biggrin:
Reply 25
Thanks, it's just so hard to remember it all! :frown:

The process for a camera/scanner to take a picture? whattttt? See, this makes me all worried because my teacher DEFINITELY hasn't went over that... And I'm pretty sure we've finished both Software Development and Computer Systems, and I doubt that comes in under A.I.?

Also, do you know of any resources that you found useful? :biggrin:

My bad! I forgot there was an optional unit. The camera/scanner thing comes under multimedia, sorry buddy!

I found the Hodder book pretty good, as well as the Scholar notes.

Hodder book - http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Title/9780340905630/Higher_Computing_Second_Edition.htm
Original post by Delaney
My bad! I forgot there was an optional unit. The camera/scanner thing comes under multimedia, sorry buddy!

I found the Hodder book pretty good, as well as the Scholar notes.

Hodder book - http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Title/9780340905630/Higher_Computing_Second_Edition.htm

OH THANK GOODNESS! You fairly had me going there :P Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

Wow, pretty expensive book there :redface: That reminds me, I need to try to get a hold of a Scholar username and password... We haven't been given them at my school :confused:
Reply 27
OH THANK GOODNESS! You fairly had me going there :P Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

Wow, pretty expensive book there :redface: That reminds me, I need to try to get a hold of a Scholar username and password... We haven't been given them at my school :confused:

Yeah it's pretty expensive but really worth it. Does your school not have some of these lying around? Last year in my school we all had to pay £20 to get the book and we got the money back if the book got returned in a good condition.

Weird, the websites alright but the actual textbooks (they're like 500 pages) are really really in-depth and to quote my old computing teacher "it's got a lot of stuff in it you don't need to know".
Original post by Delaney
Yeah it's pretty expensive but really worth it. Does your school not have some of these lying around? Last year in my school we all had to pay £20 to get the book and we got the money back if the book got returned in a good condition.

Weird, the websites alright but the actual textbooks (they're like 500 pages) are really really in-depth and to quote my old computing teacher "it's got a lot of stuff in it you don't need to know".

Nope my teacher hasn't mentioned any textbooks.. and I certainly haven't seen any lying around. That sounds like a fair enough deal you had. My school are always going on about how money is very tight at the moment... Yet they recently financed the construction of a hairdressing salon in the school :s-smilie: And I'm pretty sure those that took the course aren't actually allowed to cut hair/dye hair anyway.
Good to see they have their priorities straight...

Quick Reply

Latest