The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2700
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Lol I know, just if you walked in and you just saw everyone dancing but you can't hear anything, lol!
Thats good that you are going to the university you want to, hopefully I can fit in too :smile: How important do you think the open day will be? I have already decided I want to go to Durham, so I'm wondering whether it is worth the hassle to go over for a night.

Yeah I'm kinda thinking the same thing, but I'll probably end up going in case I suddenly decide I hate it and firm somewhere else (hopefully Exeter if I get an offer).. Open day looks good though, looks like they do stuff like a pub quiz and going out in Durham and then departmental stuff the next day. Thank god I'll be 18 by then :biggrin: I agree about the hassle though, I'm in London so it's pretty far, although I have a friend who will probably go on the open day too so might go up on the train with her. 2 days of school though, not sure my teachers'll be pleased :redface: I think the main reason to go is to meet people you'll be living with for the next three years before you actually start in October :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by LukethePianoMan
High five!
Which college have you applied to? Have they given you an offer?
I've heard that Oxford and Durham do a bit of dealing which is why many Oxford offer holders are getting rejected by Durham, so we can rub our Durham offers in their smug faces :biggrin:

That's *******s. (Sorry to prevent your rubbing in faces.) Every year they give out offers to a lot of people who also got Oxbridge offers (Durham can't see that they've applied to Oxbridge), and reject some people who get Oxbridge offers, and accept some people who get Oxbridge rejections, and ever...shockingly!...give out offers to people who haven't applied to Oxbridge.

Since Durham don't interview, they have to look at the personal statements much more than Oxbridge do...so obviously have different views on applicants, and select different people.

But they can't tell where anyone's applied until the applicant has firm/insuranced/declined/been rejected by all their universities.

There's no conspiracy, just be happy you've got into Durham!
Original post by Vekeh
Just applied for English. There's no logical reason why they'd want me, given that they've rejected tonnes of people with much, much, much better grades, but eh, got nothing to lose. Only slight problem would be (if I get that far) is that I have to be self-catered, so if there's no space at Butler I'm gonna be pretty stuck...

Cuth's has self catered too...but why can't you be catered? If it's an allergy/religious reason, the colleges are used to working around them :smile:
Original post by KayteeKaytee
Inconsiderate?

I think you are missing the point here. There are a lot of people on this thread who were recently rejected from Oxbridge (and lets face it, most people are). They're now in the process of adjusting to their new future, going to a university that is perhaps viewed as inferior. Many seem to be taking it very well, others are very disappointed. It's hard having to deal with not only your own disappointment, but also the disappointment of family, teachers etc.

What better place to chat to people than this thread where there are so many people who love Durham and are thrilled to be going there. This thread is for those who want to go there. We know it's not Oxbridge. We don't need to be told it's inferior. It helps no one.

Ok fair enough I was being very negative about it, but we also don't need to be told its on the same level.
Reply 2704
Original post by alphaeta08
I'll be doing music at Hild and Bede next year!:wavey: Judging by mine and others' experiences, your application being received by a college is a very good sign...:biggrin:

YEAH!:biggrin: Were any of these people at St. Chad's? I really really hope it isn't over-subscribed for music :confused:
Original post by msma
Oxford reject here lol got an offer for chemistry at Hatfield. Which college did you apply?

Applied and got an offer at Collingwood.
Original post by eve_m
Yeah I'm kinda thinking the same thing, but I'll probably end up going in case I suddenly decide I hate it and firm somewhere else (hopefully Exeter if I get an offer).. Open day looks good though, looks like they do stuff like a pub quiz and going out in Durham and then departmental stuff the next day. Thank god I'll be 18 by then :biggrin: I agree about the hassle though, I'm in London so it's pretty far, although I have a friend who will probably go on the open day too so might go up on the train with her. 2 days of school though, not sure my teachers'll be pleased :redface: I think the main reason to go is to meet people you'll be living with for the next three years before you actually start in October :smile:

:hi:
Reply 2707
Original post by Felix101
:hi:

Ohai :smile: Got an offer yet? :P

EDIT: or any news from Downing for that matter.. :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
L250 International Relations

Received by college!

I'm not completely sure how AES works, so this early in the cycle, is getting to a college mean an offer is pretty likely?
Reply 2709
Original post by UnaChance
L250 International Relations

Received by college!

I'm not completely sure how AES works, so this early in the cycle, is getting to a college mean an offer is pretty likely?

yep pretty much! Well Done! :smile:
Original post by kninja
I genuinely wonder if your offer would be made to someone else in your department if you decline their offer in the next few days rather than hang on to it till May (just wondering - fully understand that the offer is yours to do with as you wish). Many congrats on your fab offers though, and good luck with getting your grades for Oxford!!:smile:

Thank you :smile: and I totally see your point, I would willingly decline my Durham offer now, except for the fact that I haven't heard back from St Andrews and Edinburgh, so from what I understand, I can't actually firm/insure and therefore decline anywhere on UCAS, because I haven't heard back from all 5 choices. Withdrawing from StAs/Edin to speed up the process isn't really an option either, as I'm pretty sure one of them will end up being my insurance...
Reply 2711
Original post by flywithemma
Thank you :smile: and I totally see your point, I would willingly decline my Durham offer now, except for the fact that I haven't heard back from St Andrews and Edinburgh, so from what I understand, I can't actually firm/insure and therefore decline anywhere on UCAS, because I haven't heard back from all 5 choices. Withdrawing from StAs/Edin to speed up the process isn't really an option either, as I'm pretty sure one of them will end up being my insurance...

What a fabulous dilema to have. All the very best with it - truly envy your position. Sweeeet!!!:biggrin:
Reply 2712
Original post by h123f
YEAH!:biggrin: Were any of these people at St. Chad's? I really really hope it isn't over-subscribed for music :confused:

Are you planning to attend Open Day in March? I've been offered a place at St Chad's for Combined Honours in Arts and am going up March 21-22.
Original post by problemstruckperson
we were allowed to take ab-initio at AS, so we did the GCSE in a year and this year i'm doing the whole A level (terrifying :eek:!)
i got accepted into St Hild and St Bede, good luck for hatfield! it's got to be a good sign to have gone back to college :smile:
i'm also applying to leeds, birmingham, warwick and bristol, have offers from first 3 and waiting to hear back from bristol

Ah well done, when did you hear? :smile: In a way I'm not intimidated or scared by the fact you have an offer and I don't (although I am very jealous) because it means that contrary to what I thought until now, the departments may actually be doing something instead of just leaving me in silence for their own amusement! When did you apply?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2714
Original post by webber8345
lol yea, I'm actually not that fussed about oxford but its not a nice feeling to be rejected from anywhere.

I'll most probably firm Durham.

It depends a little on whether I get a spot on this course at Exeter which essentially gives me the freedom to design my own degree. This course however, is incredibly competitive and I haven't seen Exeter yet so if I do get an offer I'll have to weigh up those two.

I applied to St Andrews because even though its a competitive uni, they had asked for quite low points in the IB for my course. After I applied though I found it written in other places that these grades were a bit higher so its a less viable insurance.
I've never been enthused about going there as my dad went there and I don't want to go anywhere my immediete family has gone.
So I applied and if I get an offer and if the grades are lower than my current offer I might have it as an insurance.

But my mixup with the lower grades is a bit why I've applied to the Canadian unis, just to have as many bases covered.

Where are you thinking you might firm and why?

Im not sure yet.. I got offers from Durham and Bristol so far... Warwick not yet!!
But im not sure what to firm..warwick/durham.. both look really good!! :s-smilie:
And i should do a bit more research on the degree though!
What do u think?

Ya.. i got the same problem need to get the grades at the end of the day.. otherwise we screwed!!
Original post by Seasick Steve
Heeeyyy, nice one. Congrats on the offer!

:smile:

Thank you! Have you got an offer too? Do you think you'll firm it? x
Original post by eve_m
Ohai :smile: Got an offer yet? :P

EDIT: or any news from Downing for that matter.. :redface:

Nope :frown:

And yep :frown:
Reply 2717
Original post by angelmxxx
Cuth's has self catered too...but why can't you be catered? If it's an allergy/religious reason, the colleges are used to working around them :smile:

Oh, I'm just a really fussy eater :redface: I'm vegetarian and I try to avoid the most obvious byproducts (gelatin and such), which I guess would be fairly easy for the colleges to deal with buuut I eat the same thing everyday, as I don't really like many foods :redface:
Reply 2718
Original post by Felix101
Nope :frown:

And yep :frown:

Sorry about that :frown: :hugs: Sure you'll hear from Durham soon though, it's finally past the 15th and things can start moving :smile: I got my letter from Tit Hall yesterday (five days late I might add), and seeing as I already knew what it would say it was a bit of kick while I'm down :redface: Oh well, their loss (of both of us). If I remember rightly you were the person who liked Peep Show too - watch that, always cheers me up :smile: Or Black Books, which is so, so good :biggrin:
Original post by spocckka
Ok fair enough I was being very negative about it, but we also don't need to be told its on the same level.

When did I tell you it was on the same level? I'm not a University inspector, I wouldn't have the arrogance to try and make out I had the authority to rank Universities. I just felt your negativity about Durham was insensitive considering many other people's situation and perhaps, a lot of people here, (being as it's a Durham thread.) are actually thrilled about going there and don't need you to come along and try and urinate over their bonfire.

Latest

Trending

Trending