The Student Room Group

Human Biology AS

Hey,
can someone give me an idea of how blood clots are formed? i know its something to do with calcium ions and prothrombin and there is probably more but clearly that will not be enough to get a decent mark if i get questioned on it, so yea cheers :smile:
Reply 1
I wouldn't have thought it would be that complicated. Surely just mentioning high sugar levels and cholesterol is a factor linked to blood clots. Blood clots can cause strokes which cuts off a part of the brains supply of oxygen(which you didnt ask for but hey, useful to know :smile:)
Reply 2
why neg me for trying to help? I don't get people sometimes -.-
Original post by Mark_allen
Hey,
can someone give me an idea of how blood clots are formed? i know its something to do with calcium ions and prothrombin and there is probably more but clearly that will not be enough to get a decent mark if i get questioned on it, so yea cheers :smile:

I remember learning this in AS Biology, here's what I remember:

A blood vessel is damaged. A protein called thromboplastin is released from the damaged blood vessel.
Thromboplastin triggers the conversion of prothrombin, a soluble protein, into thrombin, an enzyme.
Thrombin, along with calcium(?) and a Factor (Factor VIII?) then catalyses the conversation of fibrinogen, again a soluble protein, to fibrin, which are solid, insoluble protein fibres.
Fibrin forms a fibrous mesh (I remembered this by using a Swedish accent!!) in which platelets and red blood cells get trapped, thus forming the thrombus (blood clot).

I hope this helps you. It might not be the full story, but I didn't take Human Biology.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Eloades11
I wouldn't have thought it would be that complicated. Surely just mentioning high sugar levels and cholesterol is a factor linked to blood clots. Blood clots can cause strokes which cuts off a part of the brains supply of oxygen(which you didnt ask for but hey, useful to know :smile:)

Doesn't answer the question! :rolleyes:

Not quite the right lines hehe. I think the OP wanted to know about the clotting cascade, rather than what causes pathogenic blood clots. As in, how does blood clot when you cut yourself etc.

Matthew has it, I think that's probably as much detail as you're likely to need to know for A level. I can't quite remember it myself to be honest.
Reply 6
Original post by mathew551
Doesn't answer the question! :rolleyes:

Original post by Revd. Mike
Not quite the right lines hehe. I think the OP wanted to know about the clotting cascade, rather than what causes pathogenic blood clots. As in, how does blood clot when you cut yourself etc.

Matthew has it, I think that's probably as much detail as you're likely to need to know for A level. I can't quite remember it myself to be honest.

Yep thats fair enough :tongue: Can't hurt trying though....

I think I'll stick to my A-level syllabus :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending