The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Mizikei
Just heard back from my teacher. He says he can't think of any symbolism in Curious Incident and that he thinks a question on symbolism is unlikely. Looks like if it does come up, I'll definitely be doing Curious for Sect. A. :s-smilie:

Thank you :smile:
Yeah there really is not that much symbolism in the book although it would be great for something like The Great Gatsby - lots of symbolism there!
It could some up, if it does hopefully the second question will be more appealing!

Good luck with the revision and hope everthing goes well tomorrrow - fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 321
Anyone got any ideas for symbolism in Keats' La Belle Dame Sans Merci and The Eve of St Agnes??
Reply 322
Original post by Mizikei
Awh! Don't suppose you do Curious do you?
If it doesn't come up, I'm sure you can still use it anyways :smile:

Indeed I do, but I feel its definitely best for me to answer section A on Curious as my other choices are Dubliners, Tennyson and Browning, which seem to have more in common. :smile:
Reply 323
Original post by amyyy24
Indeed I do, but I feel its definitely best for me to answer section A on Curious as my other choices are Dubliners, Tennyson and Browning, which seem to have more in common. :smile:

Let's hope we don't get a rubbish question on Curious like last year then ! :s-smilie:
The thing is any aspect of a text can be interpreted as a symbol if you can relate it to something well. I provided some symbolic things on curious incident on the other page.
Reply 325
Hey guys, I've been reading through this thread and it's been really helpful! Also, thanks to the person who posted the Gatsby past questions. I was wondering if anyone else has been doing The Great Gatsby for Section A, and Enduring Love, Browning and TROTAM for Section B? Thanks! :smile: I'm also retaking
Reply 326
I think symbolism has too much as a decent question for it to not be included at some point, especially considering you get another option to choose from too..

I've given my left hand major hand cramp so break time :shot:
Reply 327
Original post by Genocidal
The thing is any aspect of a text can be interpreted as a symbol if you can relate it to something well. I provided some symbolic things on curious incident on the other page.

Would you mind telling me on which page it is one, there are so many pages!!
Reply 328
Good luck tomorrow everyone, I'm nervous but there's nothing I can do now so I think I'll take a day off :smile:
Original post by Jen_17
Would you mind telling me on which page it is one, there are so many pages!!

16. There is also one post there with Gatsby symbols too.
I'm doing The Great Gatsby for part A and The Kite Runner, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and The Lady of Shallot for part B.

Im pretty sure the predicted chapters for gatsby are 1, ,2, 6 and 8, but what about the rest?
Reply 331
Anyone got any ideas about which Kite Runner chapters may come up?:confused:
Reply 332
Any ideas what might come up in Sect A part B for Curious?
Reply 333
Original post by Daaanz
Anyone got any ideas about which Kite Runner chapters may come up?:confused:

I can't remember what came up last year for it but my feelings are one of the first 8 or the last 8 chapters as they seem to have come up very little so far but that doesn't really narrow it down much :p:
Reply 334
Original post by dyhtps
I would love for Chapter 1 or 7 to come up for Great Gatsby, preferably chapter 7 :gah:

I didn't study chapter 7 as it's the spec question D: what could you put for it!?
Reply 335
It's an afternoon exam, right?
Original post by TWF
It's an afternoon exam, right?

Indeed it is.
Reply 337
Original post by esachica
I didn't study chapter 7 as it's the spec question D: what could you put for it!?

Some of the key things I have down are:

Myrtle's car accident mirroring the accident in chapter 2
The plaza hotel meeting mirroring the other small meeting, it serves as a good way for Nick to find out useful information
Use of memories: Nick goes back to his 13th birthday
We learn more about Gatsby's past from Tom's voice
Nick describes Myrtle's accident in a grotesque way, almost like the car has attacked her it's so violent

The green light over the water returns -> Symbolic

(Not too sure about this one) In a way there is dramatic irony because only us, Gatsby and Daisy know the truth about the accident which is quite significant later on when Wilson kills Gatsby

Themes:
Social status - Tom tries to make himself superior over Gatsby
Past Vs Present - Acceptance that you can't escape the past
Materialism - the way Daisy treats her daughter

----------

Some of those may not be very good points but I like Chapter 7 because a few things happen in it and if you had to you could blag in an exam :ninja:

Unless something drastic happens with the questions though I intend on doing kite runner for Section A as the Sec A part B kite runner questions always seem a lot more answerable than the others :indiff:
Reply 338
Original post by Genocidal
Indeed it is.

Awesome, I can have a late night revising without any effects then.

My prediction is, one of Symbilism, Setting or Openings will come up. I hope to get back to this post tomorrow and say I was right!:redface:
Reply 339
Original post by TWF
Awesome, I can have a late night revising without any effects then.

My prediction is, one of Symbilism, Setting or Openings will come up. I hope to get back to this post tomorrow and say I was right!:redface:

I hope for symbolism or openings, I never really know what to write for settings :erm:

If it's openings I may have to abandon my plan for a kite runner section A, I could write for bloomin england on the opening of kite runner :o:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending