The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone give me some setting/symbolism points for small island?
Reply 341
AO2 language form structure for question Ai, what sorts of things would you include for 'structure'?
i'm doing 'The Curious Incident' :smile:
Original post by Nikei
AO2 language form structure for question Ai, what sorts of things would you include for 'structure'?
i'm doing 'The Curious Incident' :smile:

Sentence structure of Chris which is very simplistic and consists of a lack of literary techniques. Represents his factual mind. There is a break in this on page 141 where he uses a similie which is a rare deviation from his normal sentence structure, which can show he is stressed without the use of true description of emotion which as an autistic child he cannot comprehend.
Reply 343
Original post by dyhtps
I can't remember what came up last year for it but my feelings are one of the first 8 or the last 8 chapters as they seem to have come up very little so far but that doesn't really narrow it down much :p:

Chapter 10 came up last year :smile:
Reply 344
thank you that helped :smile:
Reply 345
Original post by dyhtps
I hope for symbolism or openings, I never really know what to write for settings :erm:

If it's openings I may have to abandon my plan for a kite runner section A, I could write for bloomin england on the opening of kite runner :o:

Great Gatsby (I assume you're doing that?) is very good for setting, so is Kite Runner. For Kite Runner you have the Afghanistans, you have the stadium, and there is California/America. For Gatsby you have West/East Egg, New York, Valley of Ashes. It'd be like a orgy for me, especially when you have those two texts at your disposal.
Reply 346
Original post by TWF
Great Gatsby (I assume you're doing that?) is very good for setting, so is Kite Runner. For Kite Runner you have the Afghanistans, you have the stadium, and there is California/America. For Gatsby you have West/East Egg, New York, Valley of Ashes. It'd be like a orgy for me, especially when you have those two texts at your disposal.

Thinking about it, it wouldn't be that difficult for the texts, it's more the poetry and I'd probably have to do poetry for section A which I really don't want to have to do.

As an aside, if you get a question on openings with the poetry how much of a poem is the opening? :o:
Reply 347
Original post by Popat21
Chapter 10 came up last year :smile:

did it? I had that down as coming up Jan 2009
Err, so does anybody have the mark scheme they can type out for this paper?

Also is characterisation and setting and place, plot time and sequence and all of those sorts of strands just for A02?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by esachica
I didn't study chapter 7 as it's the spec question D: what could you put for it!?

My post has no relevance to chapter 7 - aha, but i thought i'd just run over everything for you - although i know you will be completelyy fine :wink:

Section A (i)
Your doing gatsby right - start your introduction basically saying why the chapter is important to the story as a whole (you get marks for form)

Then just try and do your entire essay with close textual analysis - use 'languagey' words "repetition, sibilance (the s sound) anaphora (repeating the begining of something) language of class, language of contrast ect" keep mentioning 'methods Fitzgerald uses' and try and explore them if you can. Remember to evaluate - whether the narrative methods make the story easy to understand.

Section A (ii)
Remember different interpretations - feminism, marxism, psychoanalytical, modern, contemporary, scientific, cynical ect. For gatsby, i think marxism (class stuff) would be the best (even go as far as saying that in your response, your evaluating the interpretation) Try and link to context - you'll beee fine.

Section B
If you read that post i made earlier - about the 6 point formula i use to write the response, remember its better to talk about 1 poem in detail than 2-3 with no real detail.

Final Words of Wisdom ahah
This goes out to everyone: Dont get too nervous; so nervous that your response seems forced and clumsy. Alot of us are retaking - so you'd like to think we know our texts fairly well by now. And the experience of sitting that exam in june will help us **** loads, in knowing how it feels to sit this exam tomorow. There is no set way to answer this paper - every teacher has different methods. BUT you just have to ensure your response matches the mark scheme. DONT FORGET ABOUT THE AO's - they are a little important aha.

Good Luck Everyone :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Out of interest, for section B how many poems do people do?
I've been told to do four poems, two from each author.

If the right question comes up I may be inclined to only do one poem for one of the authors, as some are easy to get loads of analysis from for certain things. At the moment I'm wary of this though, due to being told to do 2; if you guys have been told you could do one that would help clear it up :biggrin:
Reply 351
Original post by dyhtps
Thinking about it, it wouldn't be that difficult for the texts, it's more the poetry and I'd probably have to do poetry for section A which I really don't want to have to do.

As an aside, if you get a question on openings with the poetry how much of a poem is the opening? :o:

I'm doing ancient mariner for section A, which is a poem. I did Gatsby for section A last year, and there was a question on narrators in section B.... epic fail, because I could have gotten a lot of marks had I done it in section B. So I'm doing a poem in section A now because you can write a lot on the narrative of that, just things like rime scheme, similes and stuff like that, and section A is relatively easy.

I am doing Hardy poems for section B and I've found a lot to write on openings. E.g. personification, or not revealing what he is talking about, stuff like that. I'd say it's the first stanza.
Original post by OneInSolidarity
Out of interest, for section B how many poems do people do?
I've been told to do four poems, two from each author.

If the right question comes up I may be inclined to only do one poem for one of the authors, as some are easy to get loads of analysis from for certain things. At the moment I'm wary of this though, due to being told to do 2; if you guys have been told you could do one that would help clear it up :biggrin:

I'd go as far and say just stick to one poem. From the A grade answers ive got here, 2 of the people only talk about one poem, and the other used one poem in detail, then done a miny paragraph on another poem, to support her answer.

Providing you hit the A0's in enough detail, whether that be one poem or three poems - you'll be fine.
Reply 353
Original post by Mizikei
Just heard back from my teacher. He says he can't think of any symbolism in Curious Incident and that he thinks a question on symbolism is unlikely. Looks like if it does come up, I'll definitely be doing Curious for Sect. A. :s-smilie:

The appendix (Christopher's exam) represents the symbolic restoration of order to Christopher's world, can't think of much else other than that.

If I did get a question on symbolism, I'd most likely talk about how Christopher's condition dictates a simplistic and literal narrative, purposely void of symbolic ambiguity. I'd also say how his subject-object-verb pattern of speech, which you would expect to be hindering to the narrative is in fact integral to it.

I really want a good Ancient Mariner question for Part A... my cousin sat this exam three times before she got a decent grade, first time she got a U, second time she got a U, third time she got an A :eek:. I'm hoping to follow suit :biggrin:
Reply 354
Original post by thefirstnotlastsamurai
I'd go as far and say just stick to one poem. From the A grade answers ive got here, 2 of the people only talk about one poem, and the other used one poem in detail, then done a miny paragraph on another poem, to support her answer.

Providing you hit the A0's in enough detail, whether that be one poem or three poems - you'll be fine.

It depends how much the poem contains, if it doesn't contain much you might need a second poem or third poem. A lot of the poems are short, and you might only be able to pick 1/2 points from them that relate to the question, which is the case with me in Hardy poems.

How many points per novel or poem will everybody be writing in section B?
Original post by TWF
It depends how much the poem contains, if it doesn't contain much you might need a second poem or third poem. A lot of the poems are short, and you might only be able to pick 1/2 points from them that relate to the question, which is the case with me in Hardy poems.

Yeahh definately agree with you mate - but it just depends how much you can get out of a poem in the short time allocated. Just do what your comfortable with i'd sayy.
Reply 356
What could the message of My Last Duchess be?
Original post by TWF

As many as possible! I write as much as I can about The Kite Runner for half an hour, then 15 minutes per poet!
Reply 358
Original post by OneInSolidarity
As many as possible! I write as much as I can about The Kite Runner for half an hour, then 15 minutes per poet!

I'm doing an average of 3 points. Not sure if it's adequate, I guess it is..... 9 points in all, and the question is 42 marks....
Reply 359
Is anyone else doing Dubliners?
I was wondering what kind of interpretations/perspectives I could use... I only really have feminism and a bit of Marxism... :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending