The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
ENDURING LOVE anyone???
Original post by esachica
Aw thank you :biggrin: I shall try to remember your words of wisdom! But I am getting quite nervous, as much as I keep trying to calm myself down!

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO FOR SETTING FOR ROSETTI/AUDEN. WAH :frown:
i

Setting for Auden:

Miss Gee: The setting effects the mood of the poem -> first part fairly cheery but 'winter wrecked trees' mark turning point after which things go downhill.

As I Walked Out One Evening: Auden uses setting to convey the passing of time. At the opening of the poem auden mentions the 'brimming river' & continually mentions it throughout eg. Stanza 3 'river jumps on'. The last line of the poem is 'the deep river ran on' The river is very symbollic as it represents the message of the poem which is that whether you live or die, life goes on. Auden uses setting to convey a MORAL message.

Hope that helped :smile:
anyone doing enduring love - i just wrote this on symbolism for joe's gun

Gun represents final straw for joe. He has crossed the line, no longer sure who is good or who is bad. Questions are raised as to who is truly the mad one, jed is there begging for forgiveness and joe is pointing a gun at him. That shot represents final blow in joe and clarissa’s relationship, she looks at him with “such repulsion” that it is difficult to recover from that to where they were. Point where he actually fires the gun is like the end of a scene. The next page is joe reflecting on what he has just done, by doing so the reader can also reflect on what has happened and digest the intensity and implications of it. Gun is a symbol of anarchy, when joe feels he can no longer rely on science and logic he turns to violence. A feminist might say joe is being chauvinistic, using a gun to assert his authority and dominance. A psychoanalytic Freudian reading might show that joe has given into his id, his primal urges of aggression, rather than relying on ego and superego rationality, intellectualism. I feel the psychoanalytic is the most effective as it shows a complete reversal in joes personality, it shows that even the most civilised man can be pushed over the edge.

but i dunno what i would say for setting, or even which settings i should choose. i was thinking the field at the start, talk about how tranquil it is until the balloon appears. the place where joe gets the gun. also mrs logan's house, how the lack of care in terms of cleaning it reflects how mrs logan no longer has the will to do anything, she doesnt care about her own appearance anymore either.

also, does anyone have any notes on symbolism or setting for any of thomas hardy's poetry?
thanks
Reply 383
Original post by Jen_17
You got anything about symbolism on the Curious Incident?

I'm thinking that it has no symbolism in it and that's the point. You don't necessarily have to write about what's there as sometimes what's not there is more important. Something to do with Christopher placing little value on things as he just reports rather than evaluates?

On the other hand you could say something about how Father and he spread their fingers out and put them together to symbolise love and trust instead of hugging. Can't think of anything else right now :s-smilie:
lol ok so nobody does it in jan besides resits i see.

still having to do bio chem and geography at once sucks!...just my sixthform :/
Reply 385
Original post by Jen_17
You got anything about symbolism on the Curious Incident?

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/the-curious-incident-of-the-dog-in-the-night-time/themes.html

...and a previous post on page 14 by amyyyy24 was helpful.

Apart from that I'm at a loss :smile:
Reply 386
PANICPANICPANIC

my teachers were sooo rubbish and tis my first time doing it!

my teacher sed in section a to talk about character,place,time etc etc,, and everyone here is saying to do about structure form language?
PANICPANICPANIC
I've been going through every chapter of Gatsby with my notes and i realised I haven't got any notes for Chapter 2 :getmecoat:
Reply 388
Original post by LondonLT
PANICPANICPANIC

my teachers were sooo rubbish and tis my first time doing it!

my teacher sed in section a to talk about character,place,time etc etc,, and everyone here is saying to do about structure form language?
PANICPANICPANIC

Section Ai is AO2 language form structure the Aii will be context, forming an argument based on the question, interpretation no AO2 :smile:
Reply 389
Original post by Nikei
Section Ai is AO2 language form structure the Aii will be context, exploring both side of the argument, interpretation no AO2 :smile:

yhh my teacher was like in the how does......tell the narrative in chapter .....
talk about the narrators voice, the characters place and that.
I dontt kknooow what he is on about, but i may just talk about ao2 and hope not to completely fail!
Reply 390
if anyone has ANYTHING on enduring love that would be helpful, i'm doing it as one of my 3 texts for section B and i'm just stuck!
Reply 391
Hey everyone!
Just wondering what Browning question people think will be asked tomorow on the paper, as I have only really started revising over the weekend and want to reassure myself I have studied the right poems! A bit late now, I know but any predictions would be good! :smile:
Reply 392
The great skill of Fitzgerald is to create a character which is as much a figment of his own imagination as he is the reader’s.’ How far do you think this reflects the author’s presentation of Jay Gatsby.

how would you approach this?
Original post by Nikei
if anyone has ANYTHING on enduring love that would be helpful, i'm doing it as one of my 3 texts for section B and i'm just stuck!

I've done notes on chapter 1, 2 and 3, just look in my recent posts on my profile. I tailored them around section A though.
Reply 394
How can you tell if something has iambic thingy? I don't even know what it IS, to be quite truthful. This is me looking at Goblin Markets structure and freaking out, by the way!
Original post by esachica
How can you tell if something has iambic thingy? I don't even know what it IS, to be quite truthful. This is me looking at Goblin Markets structure and freaking out, by the way!

Iampic pentameter. Its the closest beat to natural speech/heartbeat. My teacher describes it as 'de-dum-de-dum-de-dum'. 10 syllables per line I believe. Its good as its quite open to interpretation :biggrin:
Reply 396
Original post by Esachica

Original post by OneInSolidarity
Iambic pentameter. Its the closest beat to natural speech/heartbeat. My teacher describes it as 'de-dum-de-dum-de-dum'. 10 syllables per line I believe. Its good as its quite open to interpretation :biggrin:

It's not necessarily pentameter... could be tetrameter (4 stresses) , hexameter (6 stresses) etc. Also, I've been told that it's more interesting to talk about where the rhythm is different, rather than where it's all the same (use of trochee, anapaests etc.)
Reply 397
For anyone looking for a last minute comprehensive review of 'The Great Gatsby', this PDF page is brilliant. Just found it while browsing for Daisy quotes :smile:

http://www.litcharts.com/files/pdf/printer/thegreatgatsby-LitChart.pdf
Reply 398
this will sound really stupid, but I was doing a mock today on the significance of openings in 3 texts, and I just couldn't come up with much for The Great Gatsby other than Gatsby sounds mysterious :s does anyone know any on the top of their heads?
Reply 399
Original post by Mizikei
It's not necessarily pentameter... could be tetrameter (4 stresses) , hexameter (6 stresses) etc. Also, I've been told that it's more interesting to talk about where the rhythm is different, rather than where it's all the same (use of trochee, anapaests etc.)

You make me nervous :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending