The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7500
Original post by drakesdrum
Please can anybody advise me on holiday pay. I've still got 50 hours to use up for this year. Basically I know nothing about holiday pay, how much is it? Also, could I book it some of it off but still work and get paid more for it?

Thanks

Holiday pay is the same as your contracted pay. Technically you can work your holiday and get paid double (I've done it twice before), but you aren't really supposed to and almost all department managers are reluctant to accept it (my manager at the time was old fashioned and didn't care for Sainsburys rules :tongue:)
The mood was rather low last night as it was the final night for many of the temporary staff, all but one of which have not been offered a contract. I've realised just how many of my friends were temps - it is a real shame. :frown:

Also, what should I do about this situation?
One of the checkout supervisors told me that they will want me to work in the cafe for the next three weeks, instead of on checkouts.I've never worked in the cafe.

I told her that one of my shifts is when the cafe is closed, another is when the cafe is open for some of the shift and not the rest. She said they would simply change my shifts. When I said I couldn't do that, she skimmed over it and said they would sort it out. :frown:

Also, I have eczema which I stated at interview and put on the health form. It is rather bad and is often very bad on my hands. I simply cannot use industrial strength cleaners, which they have in the cafe kitchen.

What do I do?
Original post by affinity89
The mood was rather low last night as it was the final night for many of the temporary staff, all but one of which have not been offered a contract. I've realised just how many of my friends were temps - it is a real shame. :frown:

Also, what should I do about this situation?
One of the checkout supervisors told me that they will want me to work in the cafe for the next three weeks, instead of on checkouts.I've never worked in the cafe.

I told her that one of my shifts is when the cafe is closed, another is when the cafe is open for some of the shift and not the rest. She said they would simply change my shifts. When I said I couldn't do that, she skimmed over it and said they would sort it out. :frown:

Also, I have eczema which I stated at interview and put on the health form. It is rather bad and is often very bad on my hands. I simply cannot use industrial strength cleaners, which they have in the cafe kitchen.

What do I do?

gloves? :tongue:
Original post by inksplodge
gloves? :tongue:

Thanks. :frown: If they provided the gloves, that would be one way towards helping. I still cannot change my shifts to fit in with the cafe opening times though.

I just wondered what my rights are. I mean, I signed a contract to work on the checkouts for set hours each week. Surely they cannot change my hours etc if I don't want them to?

I am not being difficult for the sake of it. Many times in the past I've changed my hours when I have been able to do so, to fit with them, but I simply cannot do that now.
Original post by cherrycola32
holiday pay is the same as your usual pay. you might be able to work it if they are short staffed or something,but is pretty unlikely, ask your manager!

Original post by FXX
Holiday pay is the same as your contracted pay. Technically you can work your holiday and get paid double (I've done it twice before), but you aren't really supposed to and almost all department managers are reluctant to accept it (my manager at the time was old fashioned and didn't care for Sainsburys rules :tongue:)

Thank you both! That's good news.

My team leader said I could work on my holiday days if I wanted to. I suppose they'd only have to get someone in to cover me anyway.

Will probably just take a couple of days off and work the other three. Only doing 2 nights a week means I'm not desperate for a holiday tbh
Thanks. :frown: If they provided the gloves, that would be one way towards helping. I still cannot change my shifts to fit in with the cafe opening times though.

I just wondered what my rights are. I mean, I signed a contract to work on the checkouts for set hours each week. Surely they cannot change my hours etc if I don't want them to?

I am not being difficult for the sake of it. Many times in the past I've changed my hours when I have been able to do so, to fit with them, but I simply cannot do that now.

Ah i'd love to be told I was going in the cafe for the next 3 weeks, anything to get off checkouts:tongue:

But anyway, they can't make you change your shift times if you cannot do those times, they can only "force" you to do your contracted hours. Sainsbury's always do this, try and make people change their shifts, do more hours,etc without them agreeing to it. I would speak to your manager and put your foot down and tell them you can't do those hours.
Post my Holiday Q again :smile: -

Before Christmas we were given our holiday forms up until March 2012. Obviously I don't know all the holidays i'm going to need up until then so I only booked about 3 weeks but now one of my friends is saying if we didn't book all of it we'd of lost that holiday. Also, I started during the summer and was given my holiday form around October and I didn't book all of my holiday because at the time I din't really know much about it and my manager didn't say anything about using it all up. I just assumed that i'd be able to book the rest of it later. Does it mean that i've lost that holiday as well?
I'm really confused about it
Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco
Post my Holiday Q again :smile: -

Before Christmas we were given our holiday forms up until March 2012. Obviously I don't know all the holidays i'm going to need up until then so I only booked about 3 weeks but now one of my friends is saying if we didn't book all of it we'd of lost that holiday. Also, I started during the summer and was given my holiday form around October and I didn't book all of my holiday because at the time I din't really know much about it and my manager didn't say anything about using it all up. I just assumed that i'd be able to book the rest of it later. Does it mean that i've lost that holiday as well?
I'm really confused about it

Just ask for your old holiday form back because you still have till march to use it.....i've just got mine back and booked the rest of my hours from the last set of holiday................and you wont lose it if you dont book it all at once i neve do that and have never lost it :biggrin:
Reply 7508
i think there is a second holiday form that gets circulated around september/october time that includes holidays for any overtime you have done in the previous year. it will of course include any outsnading unbooked holidays.

well that was the case for me not sure about others.
if you havent booked holidays for thios year we've been given a deadline of first week of feb or we lose it, it isn't carried over after march.
Reply 7510

You are not required to change your shifts. If you have agreed to overtime, it forms part of your contractual obligation.
Original post by Foulish
You are not required to change your shifts. If you have agreed to overtime, it forms part of your contractual obligation.

That is what I thought.

I have not signed up for overtime for months now as I simply don't have the time to spare.

Hopefully the supervisor will have forgotten all about this cafe idea by the time I am next in. Otherwise, I think I am going to have to put my foot down... :smile:

There should be gloves provided, I work in the cafe and we have them. Although I have never needed to use them.
Original post by drakesdrum
Thank you both! That's good news.

My team leader said I could work on my holiday days if I wanted to. I suppose they'd only have to get someone in to cover me anyway.

Will probably just take a couple of days off and work the other three. Only doing 2 nights a week means I'm not desperate for a holiday tbh

i dunno about your store but we have a limit on how many hours we get paid for a week - no more than 50.
Reply 7514
yea most peoples contract if it's new is that you get 1.5x pay if you work 50 or more. i know my contract is up to 49 hours at normal pay.

a scam is going around at a few store now. heres the brief; guys buy a blu ray home cinema system from sainsbury's instore for £399. buy lots of the same brand dvd home cinema system which retails at £130. remove barcode sticker from dvd system and re-create the barcode on the blu-ray system and stick it on the dvd system box. take it to a sainsbury's store with receipt for the blu-ray system and get refund for £399 for a system they bought for £130. then repeat at other stores.
Is anybody responsible for or knows who is responsible for the pr work in their store? If so could you please get in touch. Interested to hear your views on the store. Thanks.
Original post by rko
I don't see why a lot of people hate checkouts. I mean out of the jobs in sainsburys, it's probably the best department to work in.

Guess it depends on preference, I hated working on the shop floor because I prefer the whole customer interaction thing. Not saying I love it or anything - far from it, but out of the jobs within the store, i feel it's the least taxing, and most enjoyable. Time goes quick.

I hated working alone rolling out those pallettes over and over again. Way too boring.

I agree.

I really like having a shift where I get to have a till and just serve customers. :smile:

Instead, I keep being sent elsewhere. I spent four consecutive shifts on fresh doing the domino things and putting out rollers of stuff. And, I spent most of Saturday working in the grocery section - just putting out roller after roller of stuff with no one to talk to.

As mentioned previously, they are now trying to send me to the cafe for around 3 weeks. I'm going to put my foot down though - I simply cannot work in the cafe, hence why I didn't apply to work there. :smile:
I agree.

I really like having a shift where I get to have a till and just serve customers. :smile:

Instead, I keep being sent elsewhere. I spent four consecutive shifts on fresh doing the domino things and putting out rollers of stuff. And, I spent most of Saturday working in the grocery section - just putting out roller after roller of stuff with no one to talk to.

As mentioned previously, they are now trying to send me to the cafe for around 3 weeks. I'm going to put my foot down though - I simply cannot work in the cafe, hence why I didn't apply to work there. :smile:

Why can't you work in the cafe?
Original post by AgentSushi
Why can't you work in the cafe?

Not having a go at you, but why is that I have to justify why I can't do something I didn't apply for and isn't in my contract?! Urgh.

As I have said previous:
- My contracted hours happen to be when the cafe is closed. I cannot change my hours because of university and other commitments.
- I suffer from bad eczema, which was stated on my health form at interview, and struggle with domestic cleaning products, let alone industrial strength cleaning fluids.
- I've been informed that the kitchen floor in our cafe is rather silly with oil and water. Sainsbury's are yet to provide my full uniform and, unless they provided suitable footwear, I've been told I wouldn't be covered if I should fall.
Original post by inksplodge
if you havent booked holidays for thios year we've been given a deadline of first week of feb or we lose it, it isn't carried over after march.

This is what i'm worried has happened at my store. But I don't understand how i'm supposed to know what holidays I want up to March 2012. It's quite a bit of holiday to lose, and also sometimes things don't come up until a few months before so if i book it all now then i'm not going to get a chance to book anymore holiday until March 2012!? I don't get why they need it all in one hit, it means come the end of this year people are going to keep needing to swap shifts because they need the day off but have no holiday left:confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending