The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LRobinson23
I expect to see you in labs or lectures in october!!!

Do you have your labs in the same buildings as physics then? :smile: (I can't wait!!)
Original post by soutioirsim
Do you have your labs in the same buildings as physics then? :smile: (I can't wait!!)

I'm assuming so because we're all in the science labs aren't we?? I had a bit of a stalk of your profile and I think we actually live near each other.... weird! (ps. sorry for being a stalker but I am new to TSR and am having a nosey round the site!)
Reply 622
Well sorry to disappoint you but she chose new college and got pooled to hertford! Congrats for your offer, I expect to see you in labs or lectures in october!!!

lol :tongue: i got pooled to hertford too. . but i agree with soutioirism - its nice :smile: i lolled when i found out about simpkins the college cat :biggrin:
Reply 623
'Sfunny, a couple of days ago I got warning points within 30 seconds of posting a heartfelt complaint about the actions of a moderator, plus the offending post was equally swiftly zapped. And this was in the wee small hours. Yet our thread is being trampled and trolled to death and nothing happens. Where are the mods when you need 'em?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
A five minute flick through this year's Cambridge applicants' thread would show you that that is complete *******s.
:h:

Spoiler

I've been on the thread and it pretty much goes like this

'my UMS is only 87%- help guys!!' and of course this is TSR but you didn't see that on the Oxford applicant thread.

ALSO Cambridge have an automatic pool for people with UMS over 92% in their top 3 AS subjects- Oxford doesn't even see them.

Plus check out the offers thread: Cam ask for A*AA, sometimes A*AAA and EVEN A*A*AA - and although Oxford are going to ask for A*AA next year, that's only in sciences and maths.

Clearly Cam cares more about grade also Oxford gave 2 people I know with ABBC as AS interviews, and 1 an offer!!!

Of course, the examples are garnered from my own experience (rather of people I know and go to school with) but I honestly would encourage anyone with not the best grades to pick Oxford- although it is true that Cambridge interview more people . (Sorry i didn't know law didn't ask for essays- I'm an english offer holder)

The gist of my advice was very much: Oxford do it on potential- and judging from facts (and my experience) Cambridge does place more emphasis on grades-
please do disagree or add, but don't discredit my advice, as all advice of this nature (ie one where there is no definite source or answer) is inevitably subjective!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Yrodrigues

Plus check out the offers thread: Cam ask for A*AA, sometimes A*AAA and EVEN A*A*AA - and although Oxford are going to ask for A*AA next year, that's only in sciences and maths.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12164581 You're going to need A*A*A for some Oxford courses nest year too.
Reply 626
Original post by piya21
Me and a girl I was interviewing at the same college with (for Law) went for a stroll around the city and decided to crash as many JCRs as we could, to compare them all. :biggrin: We hit Worcester (our own), Oriel, Brasenose, Queen's, Univ and another which I can't quite remember. Anyway, we came to the conclusion that Brasenose had the best JCR atmosphere but Queen's had the Harry Potter-esque roaring fire which put it ahead of the others :biggrin:

Did you say Worcester?! Please say that JCR was at least second? Also, subject/college please, as I'm too lazy to look at the list :rolleyes:

'my UMS is only 87%- help guys!!'

...but I've only got 86% UMS. Will they withdraw my offer now?:afraid:

I'm assuming so because we're all in the science labs aren't we?? I had a bit of a stalk of your profile and I think we actually live near each other.... weird! (ps. sorry for being a stalker but I am new to TSR and am having a nosey round the site!)

The departments have separate buildings, but they're in the same general area (the "science area", as they call it ^^). I think physicist and chemist undergrad lab work will be quite different, so I'd be surprised if we were in the same labs.
Reply 628
PPE at St. Peters

'my UMS is only 87%- help guys!!' and of course this is TSR but you didn't see that on the Oxford applicant thread.

ALSO Cambridge have an automatic pool for people with UMS over 92% in their top 3 AS subjects- Oxford doesn't even see them.

Clearly Cam cares more about grade also Oxford gave 2 people I know with ABBC as AS interviews, and 1 an offer!!!

Of course, the examples are garnered from my own experience (rather of people I know and go to school with) but I honestly would encourage anyone with not the best grades to pick Oxford- although it is true that Cambridge interview more people . (Sorry i didn't know law didn't ask for essays- I'm an english offer holder)

The gist of my advice was very much: Oxford do it on potential- and judging from facts (and my experience) Cambridge does place more emphasis on grades-
please do disagree or add, but don't discredit my advice, as all advice of this nature (ie one where there is no definite source or answer) is inevitably subjective!

But remember that girl that got her interview taken away... :eek:

ps... :hi: and also...:hump:

I agree with you that Oxford sometimes look less at grades, at least at AS level. A guy I know who applied for Maths with 300/300 UMS didn't get an interview at Oxford due to his MAT performance. I also think that highish UMS can redeem a person with lower GCSE grades at Cambridge, I saw a Law guy floating around on here that would be an example of this and there are certainly a few mathematicians.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 631
Original post by gasmask
Did you say Worcester?! Please say that JCR was at least second? Also, subject/college please, as I'm too lazy to look at the list :rolleyes:

I'm afraid not - I'm guessing you haven't seen the Worcester JCR, it's pretty awful. Basically a big room with a few sofas and chairs and a big TV. I guess it's pretty nice if it's just you and a few friends really late at night or something, but other than that it doesn't really have a great atmosphere - shame, but that is literally the only fault I can pick with it :rolleyes:

I have an offer for Worcester (conditional, but since I got my A Levels last year, the 'condition' is that I send a copy of my certificates :biggrin:) to read French and Arabic. Hopefully, I'll see you there this October! :smile:
Reply 632
Original post by riotgrrl
I'm soooo terrified I'll miss the offer too.
In fact, I might go do some revision now xD

I knowwww!! :-)

I'm just gonna have to get off my back side and work some more ... then I can have fun at Oxford xD
I wonder what my conditions would have been had I applied a year ago, and whether or not I'd have made them...
Reply 634
Original post by RichE
They're martlets not ducks! (Though probably you were joking.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martlet

And the WCBC old members society are hence called The Martlets

Oops, crap - I didn't know that, but thanks for putting me straight before I made a fool of myself in the non-internet forum based world! :s-smilie:
Original post by piya21
Anyway, we came to the conclusion that Brasenose had the best JCR atmosphere

:yep:

I didn't know applicants could just go into the colleges! :eek: I totally would have snuck into them to have a look! :biggrin:
Original post by mintaero25
But remember that girl that got her interview taken away... :eek:

ps... :hi: and also...:hump:

Really? How?
Reply 637
Original post by piya21
Oops, crap - I didn't know that, but thanks for putting me straight before I made a fool of myself in the non-internet forum based world! :s-smilie:

Top marks for honesty, you could have brazened that out as it was an inadvertently witty observation :smile:
Original post by micky022
Really? How?

OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration,... what actually happened was:

She got a letter saying she'd been invited to an interview for Law...

... and then an email the next day saying her application had been unsuccessful.

So she called up her college like"OK, which one is right?" and they were like "Ah, sorry the letter was an admin mistake, you have NOT got an interview." :eek:
Reply 639
The opposite happened this year too. Someone on TSR got rejected for Oxford pre-interview, was then contacted a few days before the interviews took place to say that the rejection was a mistake - and subsequently got an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending