The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2780
Original post by rmerz1
hey guys :smile: I'm applying for Politics at Durham for entry into 2011 with an open application, but I realise now that I want to apply for Van Mildert? Is there any way I can change my choice, or is it too late? Also, any other politics peeps out there?/ Any other people who got rejected from Cambridge?

hey :smile: im not doing straight politics but ive applied for politics and sociology (hatfield College)..and i havent heard anything yet. im not too sure on the whole changing colleges, but i guess it might be better to wait until u have an offer 9unless u already have one?) and see what college they have allocated you too? because not everyone gets their first choice college sometimes..so u might be lucky and get reallocated to Mildert? or i guess after ur offer u could put in a request?

hope this helps :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2781
Original post by KayteeKaytee
You should go for self-catering - you'd be wasting a huge amount of money if you paid for three meals a day and only ate what you're eating (which is a bit lacking in protein and vitamins, if I may say).

I have gone for self-catering, but I applied the day of the deadline so there's every likelihood that if I do get an offer that the college I chose will be full.

And I think it's fair to say that you don't know enough about my diet to judge; I get plenty of protein. Iron is what I'm 'lacking', and even then only partly.

clozzanozza
Just wanted to say I know EXACTLY what you mean, I am a vegetarian desperatly wanting to become a vegan, and the thought of someone else cooking my food - let alone not having a proper choice as to what it was - is pretty impossible for me! I definitely need to be self catering too (: and I thinn you've taken some of those comments extremely well! If someone patronised me saying my eating habits would 'get broader' eventually I would not be able to keep cool haha, vegetarianism isn't some kind of disease!

I'm used to it really :redface: I don't really get why other people care so much though - it's my diet, I'll eat what I want!
Original post by Vekeh

Original post by Vekeh
I have gone for self-catering, but I applied the day of the deadline so there's every likelihood that if I do get an offer that the college I chose will be full.

And I think it's fair to say that you don't know enough about my diet to judge; I get plenty of protein. Iron is what I'm 'lacking', and even then only partly.

I'm used to it really :redface: I don't really get why other people care so much though - it's my diet, I'll eat what I want!

My comments relating to whether you should go for a catered college still stand. Your diet looks rather inexpensive. It would be waste to pay for meals you are not going to eat.

I have no issue with a vegetarian diet. I personally eat very little meat. However, I do feel that claiming that a diet consisting mainly of toast and cheese on toast is vegetarian is a bit of an insult to vegetarianism which I know can be fantastically varied and nutritious.
Original post by webber8345
I'm aware, thanks. I'm half american half english but its too expensive to do my first degree without taking out significant loans in the states which my parents wanted me to avoid doing so young.

From what I've understood from people that have studied transatlantically is that undergraduate degrees tend to be better in the uk while they're better in the us for postgrad. Of course I'm sure there are huge exceptions to this but its what I've heard so far (before I've even done my first degree).

lol, I just saw you live in Atlanta, hello!

I agree 100% with that. Plus another advantage would be that you'd have a postgrad degree+undergrad degree in 4 years, instead of 5 years.

When I tell people that I'm going to the UK to study, they're first reaction is "that must be so expensive." Even for international fees, its 1/2 the cost to study UG in the UK. Plus, the degree is 3 years instead of 4...so you're saving an entire year of fees.

have you ever been to atlanta?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2784
hmm.. they're both wonderful in so many ways and both have great reputations.

Warwick was lovely but I think the biggest problem, for me in any case, would've been that outside the campus there is very little.
The campus is BEAUTIFUL but when looking at the surrounding areas, Coventry and Lemington Spa, I was a bit underwhelmed. I just don't think I would ever feel compelled to leave the campus and that might feel claustrophobic.

Durham too is quite small and I think if it was on its own, without Newcastle nearby, I probably would be less enthused about going there. However, the combination of tradition and colleges in a beautiful medieval city along with a big bustling city with great nightlife nearby really sold it for me.

I think you should look at the individual modules of each course. If you're really happy with both, think about what you want - Warwick is the quintessential campus university while Durham is the same for a small University City. I've always felt quite strongly that academics are only a (large) part of the University Experience.

Ah.. thanks for the advice.. hehe:smile:

Im not sure yet.. the other thing is that Durham is really far from all the other places... like my sister and few friends are in London and i won't be able to visit because the train charges are extremely high..
Oh well.. I will just have to wait and... Warwick has not replied yet.. So no point wasting time now deciding..haha

Yep its true that academics is only a part of the university experience!

Have u received any offers yet?? Ur doing IB right??
Original post by adam0311
I agree 100% with that. Plus another advantage would be that you'd have a postgrad degree+undergrad degree in 4 years, instead of 5 years.

When I tell people that I'm going to the UK to study, they're first reaction is "that must be so expensive." Even for international fees, its 1/2 the cost to study UG in the UK. Plus, the degree is 3 years instead of 4...so you're saving an entire year of fees.

have you ever been atlanta?

Wow, I'd never really thought of that! very strategic.

No, I haven't. I really haven't been around the US that much to be honest. My family lives around New Hampshire and I was born in New York, my aunt lives in California and I've been to a few other states but I've lived overseas since I was 1 1/2 and we rarely travel back so I don't really have that many ties with the states -- actually one of the reasons why I think it'd be nice to go to uni there at some point.
Original post by Ahmed.23
Ah.. thanks for the advice.. hehe:smile:

Im not sure yet.. the other thing is that Durham is really far from all the other places... like my sister and few friends are in London and i won't be able to visit because the train charges are extremely high..
Oh well.. I will just have to wait and... Warwick has not replied yet.. So no point wasting time now deciding..haha

Yep its true that academics is only a part of the university experience!

Have u received any offers yet?? Ur doing IB right??

Aaah I can see why you'd want to be close to family and friends, I really don't know how feasible it is to visit from Warwick though? Its probably better.
Thing is, there isn't all THAT much time during term to visit other people. I mean, I've talked to my friends about seeing each other when we're all scattered around the UK but I really don't think any of us will have time and interaction will probably have to be confined to the longer holidays and skype. It'd be nice if it does work out though :smile:

Yea, I have offers from Durham and Sussex but they're both for 36 points and neither ask for specific subject requirements so I'm quite pleased about that, though as the offer is the same, I'm def going for Durham over Sussex.
Oxford was a rejection and I still have to hear back from St Andrews, Exeter and McGill (UBC too if I get around to applying lol).

Do you do the IB? What subjects?
Original post by nuttynatz
I KNOW!!! :biggrin: aaah... just praying that I hear something :smile: been distracting me all day. Thats the problem with AES.. you don't expect to hear anything until that changes... stressing me out.:s-smilie: I've got my fingers and toes crossed :wink:

Have ypu heard anything from your other offers?? (omg.. the LNAT results come out in like two weeks :eek:...between that and getting my mock exams back.. its looking like a pretty stressful month!)

Only heard from Warwick saying they can't work out whether i'm a home or international student...wierd!!!:s-smilie:
But no more offers sadly.
LNAT scores can jog on as far as i'm concerned...such an extra stress!!
Good luck though :biggrin:!!:biggrin:
Reply 2788
Anyone else on here applied and not had an offer/ rejection yet? :smile:
Wow, I'd never really thought of that! very strategic.

No, I haven't. I really haven't been around the US that much to be honest. My family lives around New Hampshire and I was born in New York, my aunt lives in California and I've been to a few other states but I've lived overseas since I was 1 1/2 and we rarely travel back so I don't really have that many ties with the states -- actually one of the reasons why I think it'd be nice to go to uni there at some point.

Oh New Hampshire....about as boring as it gets.
Unconditional Offer for Biomed
Stephenson College :biggrin:
Reply 2791
Original post by Frelsh
Hi there!
I've gotten a sort of semi offer i think (Well, I've got into the department because it says "Your application has been recieved by a colege" that means i got into the department right?) I was just wondering how likely it is i'll get a full offer now and if so, how long they usually take to reply, i applied to St. Aidan's it only went off two days ago but been biting my nails (Not literally) Over it ever since! Will someone help to calm me? :P

I applied to St Aidan's as well! Which subject did you apply for?
When my application was received by college, it took around 4 or 5 hours to become an offer on UCAS! So they should be quite efficient but it may be different now.
Reply 2792
Original post by e.lau16

Original post by e.lau16
hey :smile: im not doing straight politics but ive applied for politics and sociology (hatfield College)..and i havent heard anything yet. im not too sure on the whole changing colleges, but i guess it might be better to wait until u have an offer 9unless u already have one?) and see what college they have allocated you too? because not everyone gets their first choice college sometimes..so u might be lucky and get reallocated to Mildert? or i guess after ur offer u could put in a request?

hope this helps :smile:

yer i'll probably wait until i get the offer (if i get one at all! lol) but yer this has been really helpful, thanks :smile:
Original post by rmerz1

Original post by rmerz1
yer i'll probably wait until i get the offer (if i get one at all! lol) but yer this has been really helpful, thanks :smile:

I heard they are more open to requests to change college once you've been to the open day. They figure you have more of a right to hate it when you've actually spent time there.
Original post by adam0311
Oh New Hampshire....about as boring as it gets.

Charming. Thanks for that..?
I've got an offer for nat sci and on aes it now says a decision has been made and nothing else ( no passed to college ). Does this mean the college has accepted me too?? I haven't been contacted by it yet so I'm not sure but then I only got my offer last week :/
Original post by 2 Love Learn

Original post by 2 Love Learn
I've got an offer for nat sci and on aes it now says a decision has been made and nothing else ( no passed to college ). Does this mean the college has accepted me too?? I haven't been contacted by it yet so I'm not sure but then I only got my offer last week :/

Did you get your offer on UCAS, because that's the important thing? You might just have missed the bit where it moves to a college if it was quick. Have a look under "useful links" on AES and see if there's a college listed.
Original post by kay_mart1
Only heard from Warwick saying they can't work out whether i'm a home or international student...wierd!!!:s-smilie:
But no more offers sadly.
LNAT scores can jog on as far as i'm concerned...such an extra stress!!
Good luck though :biggrin:!!:biggrin:

What? thats strange.. why would they think you're an international student?

I like the attitude to LNAT though :biggrin: Good luck to you to... hope the thing with Warcwick gets sorted:smile:
Original post by Frelsh
Anyone else on here applied and not had an offer/ rejection yet? :smile:

Me :biggrin:.. for law... fingers crossed:tongue:! what have you applied for?
Original post by KayteeKaytee
Did you get your offer on UCAS, because that's the important thing? You might just have missed the bit where it moves to a college if it was quick. Have a look under "useful links" on AES and see if there's a college listed.

Hey :smile: yeah I got it through UCAS and then I checked AES last and i think it had the passed to college bit - but I can't remember 100% :/. I checked today and it changed to just 'decision has been made '. There's no particular college listed under 'useful links'. Maybe they've sent a letter out and I'll get it in the next few days :/

Latest