The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco
This is what i'm worried has happened at my store. But I don't understand how i'm supposed to know what holidays I want up to March 2012. It's quite a bit of holiday to lose, and also sometimes things don't come up until a few months before so if i book it all now then i'm not going to get a chance to book anymore holiday until March 2012!? I don't get why they need it all in one hit, it means come the end of this year people are going to keep needing to swap shifts because they need the day off but have no holiday left:confused:

Inksplodge was talking about holidays up to March 2011.

You don't have to book all your holidays for next year yet, in my store most people book 3 weeks now for summer/spring and then holiday forms are circulated again in September to book your last 2 weeks.
We get a new holiday form every time we get our pay slips, they're stapled on. Didn't realise it was different everywhere else
Original post by cherrycola32
Inksplodge was talking about holidays up to March 2011.

You don't have to book all your holidays for next year yet, in my store most people book 3 weeks now for summer/spring and then holiday forms are circulated again in September to book your last 2 weeks.

Oh, we got given our holiday forms up til March 2012. I didn't fill mine all in and my manager told me to tick the allocate holiday box. I didn't and I gave my holiday form to my other manager who didn't say anything, I meant to ask her about it but I got called away to do something and I never got the chance. Now i'm really worried i've lost like 3 weeks of holiday aha :smile:

Oh does anyone know if they give you any like leave or anything during exams or let you reduce your hours for a little while?
Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco
Oh, we got given our holiday forms up til March 2012. I didn't fill mine all in and my manager told me to tick the allocate holiday box. I didn't and I gave my holiday form to my other manager who didn't say anything, I meant to ask her about it but I got called away to do something and I never got the chance. Now i'm really worried i've lost like 3 weeks of holiday aha :smile:

Oh does anyone know if they give you any like leave or anything during exams or let you reduce your hours for a little while?

You absolutely have not lost the holiday! You can book your holiday any time you like until around Feb 2012.
Original post by unclerachel
We get a new holiday form every time we get our pay slips, they're stapled on. Didn't realise it was different everywhere else

Yeah that's what my store does too, it's pretty useful.
Reply 7525
Just something I want people's opinions on. Basically as it stands I am in my second semester of my first year at uni and I work 12 hours a week for Sainsbury's (obviously). Last year I worked full time as it was my year out between college and uni. I feel like the course I am doing is not for me however I don't know what else I want to do. I have spoken to my home store (I am on a dual-store contract) and they have said even though they are not hiring and are over hours they are willing to take me back full time because they know how good I am at my job (supervisor/temp team leader). I am unsure of what to do because my mum obviously wants me to finish uni and I don't want to let her down but at the same time it's my life! Also, I don't want to be stuck at Sainsbury's forever, unless there is a real chance of progression into management. I just wondered what other people would do in this situation? x
Original post by tubbsy
Just something I want people's opinions on. Basically as it stands I am in my second semester of my first year at uni and I work 12 hours a week for Sainsbury's (obviously). Last year I worked full time as it was my year out between college and uni. I feel like the course I am doing is not for me however I don't know what else I want to do. I have spoken to my home store (I am on a dual-store contract) and they have said even though they are not hiring and are over hours they are willing to take me back full time because they know how good I am at my job (supervisor/temp team leader). I am unsure of what to do because my mum obviously wants me to finish uni and I don't want to let her down but at the same time it's my life! Also, I don't want to be stuck at Sainsbury's forever, unless there is a real chance of progression into management. I just wondered what other people would do in this situation? x

Hiya, I may be able to help.

Just a few questions. What grade are you atm? Are you a 2 or a 3?

If you are a Team Leader already I would probably say you could probably become a DMIT quite soon, especially since they were happy to have you back despite labour issues. Speak to your HR manager about this.

If you are Supervisor (so band 2), I would arrange an appointment with your HR manager for you to discuss what would be the best way of developing a career within the company. He/She may recommend the 'Trainee Manager' scheme as it seems to be quite appropriate for you judging by what you have said above, if the HR manager doesn't recommend it to you, ask about it.

Remember there are alot of roles within the company, ranging from all sorts of supermarket roles, convenience roles, regional roles to head office roles. Many of which you dont need a degree for. You have to be proactive in searching for these opportunities (one big mistake is to wait to be offered something, because chances are your ROM/RHRP won't know your name unless you introduce yourself to them and your HR/Store Manager wont know what youre capable of unless you show them) and shine in whatever you've been given to do at the moment.
Original post by tubbsy

I am in a very similar position to you, but I have decided to stick with uni. Think long term do you really want to be working at sainsburys for the rest of your life?
A thread for people who work at Sainsburys?! On TSR??!?!?!
Gawd I need to get a job. The bloody internet guilt tripping me has shown me there is no escape.
Reply 7529
Hello people

I am currently looking for a job and i popped into my local sainsburys store to inquire about vacancies and the superviser said they are currently looking for people and that i would need to reigster and apply online.

I then went onto the saisnburys recruitment website and registered on the site and then started looking for vacancies in my area and it had none whatsoever in any section. So could you people help me.

Thank you.
Reply 7530
Original post by davireland
Hiya, I may be able to help.

Just a few questions. What grade are you atm? Are you a 2 or a 3?

If you are a Team Leader already I would probably say you could probably become a DMIT quite soon, especially since they were happy to have you back despite labour issues. Speak to your HR manager about this.

If you are Supervisor (so band 2), I would arrange an appointment with your HR manager for you to discuss what would be the best way of developing a career within the company. He/She may recommend the 'Trainee Manager' scheme as it seems to be quite appropriate for you judging by what you have said above, if the HR manager doesn't recommend it to you, ask about it.

Remember there are alot of roles within the company, ranging from all sorts of supermarket roles, convenience roles, regional roles to head office roles. Many of which you dont need a degree for. You have to be proactive in searching for these opportunities (one big mistake is to wait to be offered something, because chances are your ROM/RHRP won't know your name unless you introduce yourself to them and your HR/Store Manager wont know what youre capable of unless you show them) and shine in whatever you've been given to do at the moment.

I'm band 2. I will speak to my HR manager but my department manager and counters manager have both already said that they will push me for team leader and that I can't sit around and just let it happen, which I am not the kind of person to do that as I strive to move on in things. I pushed so hard to come off a till and be CSD trained haha.

Thank you for everything you said though, I relayed it to my mum and she said you are a very level headed person haha
Reply 7531
Original post by AgentSushi
I am in a very similar position to you, but I have decided to stick with uni. Think long term do you really want to be working at sainsburys for the rest of your life?

The thing is though it isn't just Sainsbury's, it's retail. And once you're into management in Sainsbury's you can effectively slide between companies at that position. For me that seems more of a future than just doing a degree for three years that I'm not overly enjoying to come out with a sh*t grade and then end up working for Sainsbury's anyway and having to start from the bottom. If that makes sense.
Original post by Mark091
Hello people

I am currently looking for a job and i popped into my local sainsburys store to inquire about vacancies and the superviser said they are currently looking for people and that i would need to reigster and apply online.

I then went onto the saisnburys recruitment website and registered on the site and then started looking for vacancies in my area and it had none whatsoever in any section. So could you people help me.

Thank you.

keep checking as my understanding is they only keep it up for a while
Original post by tubbsy
I'm band 2. I will speak to my HR manager but my department manager and counters manager have both already said that they will push me for team leader and that I can't sit around and just let it happen, which I am not the kind of person to do that as I strive to move on in things. I pushed so hard to come off a till and be CSD trained haha.

Thank you for everything you said though, I relayed it to my mum and she said you are a very level headed person haha

Yeah, I would write down all your questions you and your mum have about a career with the company. e.g. what are the benefits? what are the options? etc etc. Then book an appointment with your HR manager, take the questions with you and see what the HR manager says. Its great that your dept manager and another department manager support you and I would put money on that they would have told the HR manager.

Remember though, the options are so varied within the company. You can work your way up to the top without a degree if your perfomance is consistently high and you're flexible and are noticed ( however Im not going to lie to you and say a degree doesnt make it easier cos it does). It wouldnt be simply sitting on a checkout for 39 hours a week or replenishing for 39 hours a week, you could not only develop into a dept manager yourself but you could also do a convenience job, a regional coaching job or work at Holborn - 'the sexy side of retail' as it was once called when I worked there. There are lots and lots of options.
what i find stupidly unfair is that apparently our entire shift isn't hitting targets when we work our backsides off, and the two slowest people who do hardly any work are the only ones who are hitting targets. :mad: HOW does that work?
Original post by inksplodge
what i find stupidly unfair is that apparently our entire shift isn't hitting targets when we work our backsides off, and the two slowest people who do hardly any work are the only ones who are hitting targets. :mad: HOW does that work?

By targets, which ones do you mean?
Original post by davireland
By targets, which ones do you mean?

as we're nightshift our targets are for completing aisles within x time. don't even know what sort of target i have but apparently i'm not hitting them.
Original post by inksplodge
as we're nightshift our targets are for completing aisles within x time. don't even know what sort of target i have but apparently i'm not hitting them.

It will be your case per hour rate, you probably have been given a higher target and youre not hitting your higher target but they are hitting their lower target.
Arn't we supposed to get paid today? Last pay date was the 31st of Dec and we get paid on the third friday, don't we? Not at work this week so i'm confused!
Original post by pinkpopsx
Arn't we supposed to get paid today? Last pay date was the 31st of Dec and we get paid on the third friday, don't we? Not at work this week so i'm confused!

its every 4 weeks

Latest

Trending

Trending