The Student Room Group

A-level choices for Psych.

Scroll to see replies

Might be worth considering doing maths, but just to AS level. That's what I did... I don't like maths as a subject, but the statistics in psychology is fine. I got A* in maths for GCSE and B for AS level.. It was horrible, but I think it has helped me greatly to get a head-start with the maths in my degree.

So it's not necessary, but if you want to have the edge in your application (with how many applicants there are now, you might need it), consider doing it for at least AS level.
Those are good choices, you only really need maximum a B at maths to get into a psych course and you already have psych and bio so I wouldn't worry.
Reply 22
have at least 1 science... thsi can include maths, biology, psychology, physics or chemistry )if youa re going to only have maths out of them, its probs best if you have at least 1 stat modules)

However the more sciences you have, the offers could be lower.

I'm doing Biology, Maths, Psychology for A2... and doing geography for AS only
Do I need to have had a psychology course at school to study psychology?
My school doesn't offer psy courses so my choice is biology, german, english and maths..hope that will be okay :confused:
Original post by thursday's_child
Do I need to have had a psychology course at school to study psychology?
My school doesn't offer psy courses so my choice is biology, german, english and maths..hope that will be okay :confused:

Biology is perfectly adequate, you definitely dont need Psychology and the course will presume everyone needs to start from the basics when you get to uni anyway :smile:
Original post by Pheebs1201
Biology is perfectly adequate, you definitely dont need Psychology and the course will presume everyone needs to start from the basics when you get to uni anyway :smile:

THX, it's a relief to know that :smile::smile:
You don't have to take Maths at A-level. I didn't, you'll find that there only basic maths included in AS Psych, none in A2, and at uni, there are computer programmes to do the maths for you.
It really isn't that important.

And as for your A-level choices, they're great! I'm doing subjects which some people see as 'soft' but they're harder than people think, and i've got offers from the university ranked top in the national student survey!
Original post by lozzyhickers
and at uni, there are computer programmes to do the maths for you.

Keep in mind most departments teach statistics by hand at least to some degree. We didn't touch SPSS until our second year, and we frequently had exams based on hand-computed statistics.

and i've got offers from the university ranked top in the national student survey!

Are you referring to Lincoln? If so, I hate to break it to you, but according to Unistats it's actually ranked fairly averagely at 84% satisfaction. It's by no means at the top.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Keep in mind most departments teach statistics by hand at least to some degree. We didn't touch SPSS until our second year, and we frequently had exams based on hand-computed statistics.

Are you referring to Lincoln? If so, I hate to break it to you, but according to Unistats it's actually ranked fairly averagely at 84% satisfaction. It's by no means at the top.

Of course, but from the people I know, it's pretty basic still.

And yes I am talking about Lincoln, but i'm afraid you're incorrect. In 2008 it ranked 2nd, and 1st in 2009

Copied from their website: "Students rated the University of Lincoln’s Psychology programmes as the best in the UK according to the National Student Survey"
(edited 13 years ago)
Of course, but from the people I know, it's pretty basic still.

Come back when you've sat an exam trying to hand calculate a univariate independent ANOVA with 4+ IVs (and post-hocs) as well as a multiple regression with a ridiculous number of predictors in 40 minutes.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by sonrisaa.
Hey =] I'm currently in Y11, and have to choose A-levels for 6th form; pretty set on doing Psych at uni.
I was just wondering exactly how important Maths is? (I know there are a fair few stats involved, but then others say they're not too bad because you have programs to help you bla blah.. ). I'm predicted A/A* at Maths GCSE, and could do it for A-level, but I don't like the subject and would rather not if i didn't have to tbh.
Ideally, I'd love to take Psych, Bio, English Lit & French, but is this a strong enough combination to get into the better unis; will the psych + bio compensate for lack of maths?
Thanks in advance, it would be really helpful because so far I've only got people telling me completely different things, and 6th form application to fill in lol(: x

Good to know you want to do psychology...me too! I'm in year 13 and have applied for Psycho at uni, I personally took maths, but at the time didn't know which path to take. Your subjects sounds good though...the biology surely takes over the maths.
Original post by thursday's_child
THX, it's a relief to know that :smile::smile:

Youre welcome :smile:
Original post by sonrisaa.
Hey =] I'm currently in Y11, and have to choose A-levels for 6th form; pretty set on doing Psych at uni.
I was just wondering exactly how important Maths is? (I know there are a fair few stats involved, but then others say they're not too bad because you have programs to help you bla blah.. ). I'm predicted A/A* at Maths GCSE, and could do it for A-level, but I don't like the subject and would rather not if i didn't have to tbh.
Ideally, I'd love to take Psych, Bio, English Lit & French, but is this a strong enough combination to get into the better unis; will the psych + bio compensate for lack of maths?
Thanks in advance, it would be really helpful because so far I've only got people telling me completely different things, and 6th form application to fill in lol(: x

You don't need maths at AS or A2 if you want to do psychology. You need a good grade (B or higher) at GCSE and then your fine. So feel free to choose something else.
Definitely make sure you take psychology and biology, some uni's are fine with just psychology, but others want another science subject.
Taking an essay based subject is a good idea, so i would stick with English Lit, and French also seems like a good idea as many employers like employees to have another language.

Let me know if you need any other advice, i've just applied to uni for psychology.
Original post by yaymeg
have at least 1 science... thsi can include maths, biology, psychology, physics or chemistry )if youa re going to only have maths out of them, its probs best if you have at least 1 stat modules)

However the more sciences you have, the offers could be lower.

I'm doing Biology, Maths, Psychology for A2... and doing geography for AS only

Some uni's also consider Geography to be a science!!
Original post by asha_patel
Some uni's also consider Geography to be a science!!

I've seen some consider ICT as one too!

Quick Reply

Latest