The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit 2 - Education and Research Methods Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
oops sorry i meant ethnicity came up in 2009 paper and gender in 2010 paper. So i wouldn't think they would come up as 20mark this year. They might yet however be 12 marks
would someone be able to help me by posting a a skeleton essay to this question, I dont have much idea for how to tackle it :frown:

Does racism still exist in the UK's education system. Discuss.
OMG guys I am so scared about this exam :frown:
Reply 43
I decided to do an unnessercary resist just to try and to get a few extra marks.
I forgot the education paper included research methods =___=
Reply 44
Original post by daemongreen
would someone be able to help me by posting a a skeleton essay to this question, I dont have much idea for how to tackle it :frown:

Does racism still exist in the UK's education system. Discuss.

Lets brainstorm!
Here's a few things I can think of to mention~

- We have a multicultural society, but an ethnocentric national curriculum. That may mean those of a different ethnic-background other than white (middle class male) may not find such areas of the curriculum very interesting. For example, learning about Kings and Queens of England, and World War II, a westernized, mainly UK based curriculum on history.

- Statistics also show that white ethnic children out preform miniority ethnics. Why is this? Well... It could be very well to do with the ethnocentric curriculum. Or it could be to cultural background. For example, certain Asian backgrounds may put a greater encouragement on education than backgrounds from other culture.

- This is rather useful. http://sixthsense.osfc.ac.uk/sociology/education/ethnic_minority.asp
Don't forget your labelling theories, and how students from other backgrounds including various ethnic backgrounds may be labelled and stereotyped by a teacher, leading to a self-fufilling prophercy. If I recall it is Robert K. Merton who first described this term in a published medium.

- http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/sociology/inequalities/revise-it/ethnicity
Also very useful! It also mentions some sociologists - which examiners love if you can remember their names, and date of study. You could also mention Bernard Coard if you have came across him.

- You could also mention how education may be less racist/more racist depending on your view. As long as you have evidence/research to back you up it could rake in some marks ^_~

Tip: Try not to use the word 'race' in your exam, sociologists don't tend to like using that word, since race is regarded as unexisting.

Hope this helped...!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 45
What are the predictions for what is gonna come up in the exam tomorrow guys? in terms of topics

much appreciated x
Original post by Tulin
Lets brainstorm!
Here's a few things I can think of to mention~

- We have a multicultural society, but an ethnocentric national curriculum. That may mean those of a different ethnic-background other than white (middle class male) may not find such areas of the curriculum very interesting. For example, learning about Kings and Queens of England, and World War II, a westernized, mainly UK based curriculum on history.

- Statistics also show that white ethnic children out preform miniority ethnics. Why is this? Well... It could be very well to do with the ethnocentric curriculum. Or it could be to cultural background. For example, certain Asian backgrounds may put a greater encouragement on education than backgrounds from other culture.

- This is rather useful. http://sixthsense.osfc.ac.uk/sociology/education/ethnic_minority.asp
Don't forget your labelling theories, and how students from other backgrounds including various ethnic backgrounds may be labelled and stereotyped by a teacher, leading to a self-fufilling prophercy. If I recall it is Robert K. Merton who first described this term in a published medium.

- http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/sociology/inequalities/revise-it/ethnicity
Also very useful! It also mentions some sociologists - which examiners love if you can remember their names, and date of study. You could also mention Bernard Coard if you have came across him.

- You could also mention how education may be less racist/more racist depending on your view. As long as you have evidence/research to back you up it could rake in some marks ^_~

Tip: Try not to use the word 'race' in your exam, sociologists don't tend to like using that word, since race is regarded as unexisting.

Hope this helped...!

Never knew there were sociologist postgrads on this site :tongue: yeah thanks alot man, it helped alot xD
Reply 47
Original post by Limeey
What are the predictions for what is gonna come up in the exam tomorrow guys? in terms of topics

much appreciated x

Only three pages to look through here :smile:

Someone said: "Education - last time social policies and class came up so DEFINITELY revise ethnicity and gender.

Methods - last time questionnaires and PET came up so DEFINITELY revise interviews/PO/secondary data.

Remember to make sure to specificially link the METHOD to the SPECIFIC TOPIC for the M in C question."

Hope that helps. Predictions aren't always the best way to go revision wise...
Original post by calannra
Is anyone doing this exam on the 18th of January 2011?

How is everyone finding it? (Myself am a little stuck with the methods in context questions)

How is revision going?

Discuss! :smile:

yep im stuk at that bit aswell- alot of info to take in... my teacher told me marxism, ethnic minorities/ and gender might come up.
Reply 49
Original post by daemongreen
Never knew there were sociologist postgrads on this site :tongue: yeah thanks alot man, it helped alot xD

Ahaha, if only :awesome:
Glad I helped!
Original post by Tulin
Only three pages to look through here :smile:

Someone said: "Education - last time social policies and class came up so DEFINITELY revise ethnicity and gender.

Methods - last time questionnaires and PET came up so DEFINITELY revise interviews/PO/secondary data.

Remember to make sure to specificially link the METHOD to the SPECIFIC TOPIC for the M in C question."

Hope that helps. Predictions aren't always the best way to go revision wise...

Whatss PET?? lol
ahh last minute revision is stressful!

please can anyone give me any advice on how to approach the methods in context questions? I know that you have to link to interpretivism and positivism ... but any idea on structure and things?
Reply 52
Original post by cookie love
Whatss PET?? lol

Hmm, now I think about it I don't actually know the one.
Maybe someone was getting confused with psychology? -shrugg-
Reply 53
Original post by dan_griffin11
Education - last time social policies and class came up so DEFINITELY revise ethnicity and gender.

Remember to make sure to specificially link the METHOD to the SPECIFIC TOPIC for the M in C question.

Ahh! The person I quoted from!
Would it possibly be okay to explain 'PET'?
Reply 54
Original post by teaandcoffee
ahh last minute revision is stressful!

please can anyone give me any advice on how to approach the methods in context questions? I know that you have to link to interpretivism and positivism ... but any idea on structure and things?

Indeed! I think I'll go to sleep soon... ><'

Would it be possible to give me an example of a question?
Reply 55
PET Stand for "practical" "ethical" and "Theoretical" its basically an acronym to answering methods questions i believe =D
Reply 56
Also for methods questions as i stated above adopt the PET technique listing pro's and con's for a given research method. A way of linking interpretivism and positivism would be say you are discussing participant observation you could say it generally produces qualative data favoured by interpretivists "finding meanings and patterns of human interaction micro method of studying" then contrast with positivism being macro favoured by functionalists and marxists, quantative data finding cause and effect relationships"

Hope i was of some help :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by sammy110
PET Stand for &quot;practical&quot; &quot;ethical&quot; and &quot;Theoretical&quot; its basically an acronym to answering methods questions i believe =D

I've never heard my teacher say it before xD But that'll certainly be useful for me.

Also for methods questions as i stated above adopt the PET technique listing pro's and con's for a given research method. A way of linking interpretivism and positivism would be say you are discussing participant observation you could say it generally produces qualative data favoured by interpretivists &quot;finding meanings and patterns of human interaction micro method of studying&quot; then contrast with positivism being macro favoured by functionalists and marxists, quantative data finding cause and effect relationships&quot;

*Claps*
Very, very useful <w>"
Reply 58
Also for methods questions as i stated above adopt the PET technique listing pro's and con's for a given research method. A way of linking interpretivism and positivism would be say you are discussing participant observation you could say it generally produces qualative data favoured by interpretivists "finding meanings and patterns of human interaction micro method of studying" then contrast with positivism being macro favoured by functionalists and marxists, quantative data finding cause and effect relationships"

Very good!
I'm just wondering, why do functionalist and marxists prefer macro?
I don't think I've read that in my notes..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59
Functionalists and marxists prefer macro because it's more focused with how society creates people, as opposed to the interactionalist view that people shape society. so for functionalists/marxists, they'd need to use macro to observe the society as a whole to see how it affects people...if that makes sense. it's dodgy to explain, but yeah :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending