The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Liverpool Hope, yes or no?

I applied to Liverpool Hope aware that it wasn't on any league tables, for some reason it didn't bother me...now it does. I got a conditional offer to get a B in English Language and like 260 points overall or something. Nottingham Trent ARE on the league tables (subject specific to English) and they're 40th, but they have offered me an offer to get a C in English Language.

I dunno, but the fact that Hope are asking for more than Trent is making me wonder. Is Liverpool Hope as rubbish as people are making it out to be?

Help me choose where to go please! I'm actually clueless. Both of the nightlives at Nottingham and Liverpool are also really appealing. I've also got offers from The University of Chester and Salford University (mind, I don't want to stay in Manchester).

Sorry for the essay :|

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya,
I am currently a 2nd year undergraduate at Hope and yes, hope is as rubbish as it is made out to be.
It is a well renowned teacher training college, but for any other subjects i really would recommend against Hope.
If you do a bit of googling, you'll find that their pulling a hell of a lot of funding from Hope. In fact 1 out of 5 lecturers are being made redundant, and in some of the less popular subjects it goes upto 60% of lecturers in the department. Bear in mind as it's a small university there aren't that many lecturers anyway!
Its a massive worry for all, and I know that a lot of courses are getting cancelled.

Don't get me wrong, for some subejcts it really is amazing. But I would recommend it if you absolutely had no other choice, but in my opinion, it really is just a college. It is seen as a college by employers, and I really don't think the work is as hard as other universities.

Because it's a tiny uni, there isn't that much chance to know lots of people, and it's christian based. So if your religious, theres loads of support. Otherwise you find your being converted the whole time. Most people are members of the CU and don't stop shoving religion down your throat. It's even run by a "bishop".

Message me if you want any more information. If you have a choice i really would recommend AGAINST Hope but thats just my choice. I know some people absolutely love it there.

Sorry for the massive messagE!
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by zedjay010

I applied to Liverpool Hope aware that it wasn't on any league tables, for some reason it didn't bother me...now it does. I got a conditional offer to get a B in English Language and like 260 points overall or something. Nottingham Trent ARE on the league tables (subject specific to English) and they're 40th, but they have offered me an offer to get a C in English Language.

I dunno, but the fact that Hope are asking for more than Trent is making me wonder. Is Liverpool Hope as rubbish as people are making it out to be?

Help me choose where to go please! I'm actually clueless. Both of the nightlives at Nottingham and Liverpool are also really appealing. I've also got offers from The University of Chester and Salford University (mind, I don't want to stay in Manchester).

Sorry for the essay :|

I don't know about the others but I'm a second year doing English Language at the University of Chester :smile:

It's a great university and the English Department has always achieved outstanding reports from Ofsted :smile: The course is excellent and the lecturers are great (and funny). The uni as a whole is a great place to study and the English department is in a lovely Grade listed vicarage :biggrin:

As we speak I'm finishing an essay on the impact of colonialism on the English Language from the 17th century :biggrin: It's pretty awesome!

Oh, the night life here is pretty good too, there's a student night every night at different bars/clubs and Liverpool is only a train ride away!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by snufkin_
Hiya,
I am currently a 2nd year undergraduate at Hope and yes, hope is as rubbish as it is made out to be.
It is a well renowned teacher training college, but for any other subjects i really would recommend against Hope.
If you do a bit of googling, you'll find that their pulling a hell of a lot of funding from Hope. In fact 1 out of 5 lecturers are being made redundant, and in some of the less popular subjects it goes upto 60% of lecturers in the department. Bear in mind as it's a small university there aren't that many lecturers anyway!
Its a massive worry for all, and I know that a lot of courses are getting cancelled.

Don't get me wrong, for some subejcts it really is amazing. But I would recommend it if you absolutely had no other choice, but in my opinion, it really is just a college. It is seen as a college by employers, and I really don't think the work is as hard as other universities.

Because it's a tiny uni, there isn't that much chance to know lots of people, and it's christian based. So if your religious, theres loads of support. Otherwise you find your being converted the whole time. Most people are members of the CU and don't stop shoving religion down your throat. It's even run by a "bishop".

Message me if you want any more information. If you have a choice i really would recommend AGAINST Hope but thats just my choice. I know some people absolutely love it there.

Sorry for the massive messagE!

aaah really? yeah, i've decided i wanna go to nottingham trent now but thank you so much for that cos it's made it dead certain for me! :biggrin: i hadn't even put much thought in to where i applied on ucas and regret it slightly, but nevermind. nottingham trent sounds good to me :smile: thank you again!
Reply 4
Original post by Kaykiie
I don't know about the others but I'm a second year doing English Language at the University of Chester :smile:

It's a great university and the English Department has always achieved outstanding reports from Ofsted :smile: The course is excellent and the lecturers are great (and funny). The uni as a whole is a great place to study and the English department is in a lovely Grade listed vicarage :biggrin:

As we speak I'm finishing an essay on the impact of colonialism on the English Language from the 17th century :biggrin: It's pretty awesome!

Oh, the night life here is pretty good too, there's a student night every night at different bars/clubs and Liverpool is only a train ride away!

haha really? aww man, now it's between chester and nottingham! i heard chester did have a really good english department, and it isn't too far from home either but it's just the nightlife. doesn't sound too appealing? what's it like there, socially?
Reply 5

haha really? aww man, now it's between chester and nottingham! i heard chester did have a really good english department, and it isn't too far from home either but it's just the nightlife. doesn't sound too appealing? what's it like there, socially?

Yeah, it was 40th for English in one of the newspaper league tables (can't remember which) :smile:

There's a different student night every night at different clubs/bars:

Monday: Beans @ Cruise
Tuesday: Clockwork @ Havanas
Wednesday: Destiny & Elite
Thursday: Three in a bed
Friday: SU friday

:smile:

Seriously, it's always an awesome night out here! It's not got a massive reputation for night life but I've never heard any complaints about it from any student! There are tons of pubs and like I said, if you get bored (which you won't :p:) the train to Liverpool is cheap enough!
Reply 6

hi i really would suggest you look into chester before going. I know that Chester has really been hit by the funding cuts as well.
The 3 main ones in the NW that are being affected are Hope, Edge Hill and Chester.
Chester itself is a really nice city, I used to live there, and the uni is nice too.
Just beware of the funding cuts.

I only say this as I'm 2 years into my course and have been told it may be being cancelled, so I'm warning everyone haha :biggrin:
Reply 7
also remember chester is only 35 mins away from liverpool one the train, and 40 mins away from manc! so if its a big nightlife your after i know there is always a lot going on
Reply 8
I applied for Hope but it's definitely dodgy that they aren't on the league tables. I feel kind of bad declining their offer though because they sent me a lovely Christmas card haha.
Thought this was about football LOL

if you get an offer from a university in a league table, you're better off going there :smile:
Hey I'm a 2nd year Psychology student at Hope, message me if you have any questions, cba defending the uni to people who wouldn't listen, but if you want any info from an actual student rather than people who have just read things in the papers, then drop me a message!
Reply 11
I've applied for the exact same course as you. I put it as my second choice, the combined English course at University of Liverpool as my first. Most people put hope as their reserve. However, if I fail to get into Liverpool, I wont be too disappointed as Hope seems to be a really friendly university. It's possible to get a first anywhere. Besides, you can always do post-grad somewhere else if you're worried about the University being looked down on. If you want a prestigious career in law or something then probably go to a redbrick. I'm only getting a degree because I love English, in reality, it will do little to help me advance through the ranks of the police.
Reply 12
Have you visited them?
Reply 13
I live in Liverpool... and trust me, Liverpool Hope isnt THAT good. Its a shame though cause Liverpool is an amazing city, you'd of been better off applying to Liverpool John Moores. Thats a great uni.
Rather get a job tbh.
Reply 15
Original post by Abby :)
I live in Liverpool... and trust me, Liverpool Hope isnt THAT good. Its a shame though cause Liverpool is an amazing city, you'd of been better off applying to Liverpool John Moores. Thats a great uni.

aye i know, i really should've :/. i go down to liverpool quite regularly now cos my friend goes to john moores and i do like the city, it's not very multicultural n'all but it's a good city. really good nightlife!
Reply 16
Original post by Gemma :)!
Hey I'm a 2nd year Psychology student at Hope, message me if you have any questions, cba defending the uni to people who wouldn't listen, but if you want any info from an actual student rather than people who have just read things in the papers, then drop me a message!

hey, ive just been reading this post and not sure what to believe about lpool hope, ive applied for information technology course, is the uni like a college, would you be able to tell me about bit abt hope from your point of view - would be of much help to
Go to Chester - renowned for it's English dept. It seems like you'd be to fixated on Liverpool Hope being college-like and not in the league table, likewise with Nottingham Trent being 40th in the league table for English.
If you still crave the nightlife that Liverpool/Manchester offer Chester is sooooo close :smile: But as they all said, Chester will be such a buzzing but beautiful place. It'll be a lot greener than Liv and Notts.

Also I applied to Notts and when went to Nottingham Trent I wasn't pleased.
Reply 18
Original post by sophiekatina
Go to Chester - renowned for it's English dept. It seems like you'd be to fixated on Liverpool Hope being college-like and not in the league table, likewise with Nottingham Trent being 40th in the league table for English.
If you still crave the nightlife that Liverpool/Manchester offer Chester is sooooo close :smile: But as they all said, Chester will be such a buzzing but beautiful place. It'll be a lot greener than Liv and Notts.

Also I applied to Notts and when went to Nottingham Trent I wasn't pleased.

ah, for real? i've already firmed notts and i'm quite confident and excited to start there now. why weren't you pleased with trent? i've put chester as my insurance :smile:
Reply 19
I oiginally started my degree at Chester (English Lit and Education combined), however, fell ill and had to drop out in my second year. I took a break and had to transfer to a different university when I decided to take up my degree again (for various reasons). I got engaged while at Chester so had to find a university close by and decided on Liverpool Hope. I am now just over a moth into my second year at the uni, studying the same course. I can tell you that, in terms of course content, Liverpool Hope seems to have more. The course is harder, more is expected of you and there seems to be a lot more background contextual reading than Chester. However, the university is not very well organised, it took me two weeks just to get a firm timetable as they kept messing me around. It is a tiny university, which means that the library has fewer resources too. (However, the university is very modern and has a lot of mod cons, more so than Chester). I loved the night life at Chester, but am yet to experience it at LH I get married in two weeks so am too busy to party what with juggling essays, lesson prep and wedding planning). Personally though, I am not a fan of the Liverpool night life. I prefer Chester. The clubs are great. I would say you get more for your money out of LH, as I definitely have more lectures and seminars than I did at Chester. I have a lesson of some kind every day of the week. The classes are generally smaller at LH, which means more one to one time with tutors. Chester, on the other hand, was lacking in the supportive environment, particularly when I fell ill. Each uni has its pros and cons. I am yet to decide which I prefer at the moment as it is too early to say, but I really did love my time at Chester.

Quick Reply

Latest