The Student Room Group

Msc Finance at Warwick : impressive figures

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peaches182
The LSE finance programme, from a lot (and i mean a lot) of research I've done, is mainly geared toward forgeign applicants (non UK) with a (not stated) but almost mandatory requirement for the GMAT. There are a lot of UK students who will not take the GMAT due to time constraints and money (mainly time) and so will not get into LSE purely because of that fact.

I have purely not applied for the A&F course (which requires no GMAT) because I just dont like the accounting modules I took at Uni, and so would not like half my masters to be based on that.

I imagine a large number of applicants who apply for an MSc in Finance will be turned off cos of the Accounting in the A&F programme.

I possibly may apply to the A&F programme, but that will purely because of the name LSE, not because of the course it offers. If I had to choose one course for my future career based purley on the course it would be the Mathematicla Trading and Finance programme at Cass. But because of the way universities are looked at, I didnt even think about Cass with my offer.

Well in this country, an employer won't care that much if you went to Warwick or LSE, but the moment you step outside UK (which makes a lot of sense in this recession) the LSE brand is held in the highest regard and hardly anyones heard of Warwick (except few people in hong kong/singapore).

I highly doubt that most people would be put off applying because of the 1 compulsary accounting course you have to study. At the end of the day knowing some accountancy can only be beneficial in a financial career..

What course are you going for then?
Reply 121
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
You're a joke.

The LSE AIC been been running long before the inception of the MSc Finance course.

More than 95% of the ibankers from LSE that studied a finance based degree studied Accounting and Finance. The MS Finance has only produced some 120-160 graduates in the past few years.

Do you think Bain/GS/BCG etc only visit LSE around the whole world because of MS Finance only? Don't think so.

Can you support your arguments with facts that MS Finance from Warwick is better than any LSE Acc/Fin?

Are you telling me that Warwick/Imperial attract the next best cohort of applicants after the 40-50 odd students that get onto the Finance programme at LSE? Haha.

Not sure about the A&F. But the entry requirement for the LSE MSc Finance and Economics is basically the same as the Warwick MSc Finance and MSc Finance and Economics. What makes the former appeared more competitive is the compulsory GMAT requirement.

I personally know a guy (international student) with just above 65% in BSc Economics (good 2:1) got entered with a GMAT score of 700 something.
(edited 13 years ago)
Well in this country, an employer won't care that much if you went to Warwick or LSE, but the moment you step outside UK (which makes a lot of sense in this recession) the LSE brand is held in the highest regard and hardly anyones heard of Warwick (except few people in hong kong/singapore).

I have thought long about that too when I turned down LSE for Warwick several years ago (and I admit it worried me), but it turned out that almost everyone I know and met (at work) who has heard of LSE has also heard of Warwick and view Warwick with high respect.

The LSE popularity over Warwick is actually much more prevalent and conspicuous by the ordinary guys on the street rather than the highly educated individuals.

In the real word, there is actually very little distinction amongst LSE, Warwick, Imperial, Cranfield and Manchester as viewed by the educated people, top employers and top graduate business schools around the world. Ordinary people's view is quite a different story, however.
Reply 123
Original post by Mr. Roxas
I have thought long about that too when I turned down LSE for Warwick several years ago (and I admit it worried me), but it turned out that almost everyone I know and met (at work) who has heard of LSE has also heard of Warwick and view Warwick with high respect.

The LSE popularity over Warwick is actually much more prevalent and conspicuous by the ordinary guys on the street rather than the highly educated individuals.

In the real word, there is actually very little distinction amongst LSE, Warwick, Imperial, Cranfield and Manchester as viewed by the educated people, top employers and top graduate business schools around the world. Ordinary people's view is quite a different story, however.

Nevertheless, as a fact, LSE MSc Finance is probably the second or third most competitive (after Oxford MSc Financial Economics and perhaps after Cambridge MPhil Finance) finance degree in Europe.

But I really doubt that the A&F is that good... just spoke to a guy studying MSc Economics at LSE and got the information that diplomat + A&M and A&F are second rate (in his sense) in the LSE Finance department, a couse designed primarily for boosting the school's revenue XD

And the people doing the A&F are sharing modules with finance undergrad!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 124
As a part of my undergraduate course we are required to write a thesis. We may choose the subjects ourselves. My question is; does it matter? Could you use your thesis to get admitted to a specific program (I mean, supposing your grades aren't terrible)? The thought struck me when I read about programs such as Finance and Private equity at LSE and Economics and international financial economics at Warwick. If you had written a thesis (approximately 10 000 words) about private equity or about financial economics, would you then have a better shot? Seeing as you had already demonstrated some interest for the area which you were going to study.

/John
Original post by Tarutaru
Nevertheless, as a fact, LSE MSc Finance is probably the second or third most competitive (after Oxford MSc Financial Economics and perhaps after Cambridge MPhil Finance) finance degree in Europe.

But I really doubt that the A&F is that good... just spoke to a guy studying MSc Economics at LSE and got the information that diplomat + A&M and A&F are second rate (in his sense) in the LSE Finance department, a couse designed primarily for boosting the school's revenue XD

And the people doing the A&F are sharing modules with finance undergrad!!

It's only "second rate" because the Finance programme is uber uber competitive. I doubt all the students that used to study A+F before got a second rate education :P. At the end of the day you're at LSE and you're studying a highly relevant course (if you want to get into finance), so I doubt it will make that much of a difference. It's not like employers shun the Fin/Econ guys from Warwick compared to the pure finance degree holders.

I highly doubt that most people would be put off applying because of the 1 compulsary accounting course you have to study. At the end of the day knowing some accountancy can only be beneficial in a financial career..

What course are you going for then?

I'm going for finance. I would push to finance and economics, but economics has never captured my imagination the finance has and I really feel I could study areas in finance for my entire life (I think:rolleyes:).
If I'm lucky enough to get into Cambridge (I feel that its about 70-30 against me, just because I didnt graduate in the top 1-2% due to exten circums (though doesnt everyone have these :smile: ) and havent taken the GMAT), I would seriously consider a PhD.

I think I may have been generalizing a bit if I came across saying most would be put off by the accounting element, but it is certainly the reason why I haven't applied for that course, although, I may still.

I've already picked an undergrad degree purely because of the course (international securities, investment and banking), and I dont regret it, but it I would not choose the same place to study (though I would absolutely do the course), given another chance cos I know how IB's view the uni you go to.
If I picked just for the course, I'd go straight to Cass' MTF, but for some people (that includes you cos I know your opinion on Cass) its hit and miss, and I dont really wanna risk that should I not decide to go down the PhD route.

We'll see what happens, I'm always willing to change my route and adapt in the situation I'm given so I'm not stressed about the choices I make. At the same time that doesnt mean I dont think about my choices, just I'll always make the best with what I've got (cheesy gay line :tongue:).
Reply 127
hi guys,, just got an email saying that I have been recomended to the postgrad admission team for an offer financial maths.. does this mean that I am certain for an offer, or is too soon to be buying the beers.. :frown:
Original post by kuzelle
hi guys,, just got an email saying that I have been recomended to the postgrad admission team for an offer financial maths.. does this mean that I am certain for an offer, or is too soon to be buying the beers.. :frown:

I got the very same email, and I think I got that same kind of email from my undergrad degree too.

I too was thinking, is this an offer? But i got an offer about a week (maybe longer) after that email.

They make it sound like its still isnt set in stone, I think maybe just in case....I duno what really.

I got the exact same email as you, and got an offer, as everyone who has an offer.....so you can be pretty confident that you will get a place. (hopefully). I'll say congrats now, just in case I dont hear from you.
Reply 129
i think youre in...its means that the department has accepted you...congrats dude !!!
Reply 130
Original post by kuzelle

Congrats. But last year I did not receive such an email but instead of a conditional offer on submitting a paper copy of my transcript and submit references just 3 weeks after submitting the application XD

This means that there are some uncertainties but you should not worry too much as you stand a very good chance of getting a formal offer.
Reply 131
I got the very same email, and I think I got that same kind of email from my undergrad degree too.

I too was thinking, is this an offer? But i got an offer about a week (maybe longer) after that email.

They make it sound like its still isnt set in stone, I think maybe just in case....I duno what really.

I got the exact same email as you, and got an offer, as everyone who has an offer.....so you can be pretty confident that you will get a place. (hopefully). I'll say congrats now, just in case I dont hear from you.

well i'l make sure i'l post again when i get an offer.. :biggrin:... thnx neways to everyone who replied.. xD
Reply 132
will be great if i get in tho... btw out of curiosity has ne1 in the thread applied for the Financial Maths program...

@Peaches182... hav u accepted ur offer for Finance...
Original post by kuzelle
will be great if i get in tho... btw out of curiosity has ne1 in the thread applied for the Financial Maths program...

@Peaches182... hav u accepted ur offer for Finance...

Ye. I placed the deposit at the beginning of January. I'm still a bit undecided should I get an offer from Imperial/Cambridge (more undecided if its cambridge). I've put the deposit down cos I really believe that Warwick is as good a place as any and the difference bewteen Warwick and Imperial is going to be one of fit, not prestige.
Reply 134
Ye. I placed the deposit at the beginning of January. I'm still a bit undecided should I get an offer from Imperial/Cambridge (more undecided if its cambridge). I've put the deposit down cos I really believe that Warwick is as good a place as any and the difference bewteen Warwick and Imperial is going to be one of fit, not prestige.

yea im waiting for a reply from cambridge as well... applied to LSE too, but i dont fancy my chances.. besides london's not my type of place, especially the transportation.. :frown:.. ne idea on when cambridge will started handing out offers.. lst year's thread said dat some got thei offers starting late feb....
kuzelle that is what I heard as well but I think I heard it from you lol.....

So far I have Imperial + Warwick for MSc finance offers.

Rejection LSE MSc Finance

Awaiting Cambridge Mphil Finance, Oxford MFE
Original post by Ineedaplace
kuzelle that is what I heard as well but I think I heard it from you lol.....

So far I have Imperial + Warwick for MSc finance offers.

Rejection LSE MSc Finance

Awaiting Cambridge Mphil Finance, Oxford MFE

Have you placed your Warwick deposit yet. I figured the deadline has passed from the time you mentioned it.

May I ask how you got your Imperial offer so soon? Its just I figured it would have taken time for your references to submit, so the few days you say it took you to recieve one seems a bit wierd. I'm just curious, thats all :redface:.

I'm guessing you decided to take the GMAT then. I assume just cos for the Oxford MFE programme its a mandatory requirement. I emailed them like a cheecky bugger saying 'cos I got a first, do I really have to take it' :rolleyes:. They wernt having any of it, they just told me that I would have till april to take it. Good luck with it though Maybe you could send in another app to LSE after you've taken the GMAT?
Reply 137
haha.. word of mouth mate.. :P :P.. lol.. im really counting on getn into cambridge, however slim my chances are... :biggrin:.. just going to a uni with such an amazn history would be awesome.. :biggrin: :biggrin:..
I did not take the GMAT either... dats da reason why i did not apply to Oxford.. their MFE program looks amazing :frown: :frown:...
That is what I am planning to do peaches. I am going to lose the £1000 :frown: Unless the conditional offer can be rejected because I don't send in the form lol....

Yes I decided to boost my app with GMAT since I got rejected from LSE.

To be honest I want to go to a unviersity with history like you as well, so cambridge or Oxford is ideal. I think everyone has a first who aplplies....
Reply 139
Does anyone know anything about Finance and PE at LSE? Would it be more or less competitive than the finance msc?

Quick Reply