The Student Room Group

Drama School/University Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

I'm 25, so don't fear! I know most drama school take a mixture of people fresh from college and those a little older with more life experience.
Oh phew! There's hope for me yet then! XD I've been looking around and the one place that really sticks out for me is Drama Studio! It says that it likes people over 21 so I might send them an application, along with a few of the others you've mentioned! Just trying to get the funds together to send them now!

Original post by Lauracrocker
I'm 25, so don't fear! I know most drama school take a mixture of people fresh from college and those a little older with more life experience.

Are you both applying or already on a course, Lauracrocker and FluffyLion?
I have already got a degree from Rose Bruford in American Theatre Arts and I've been out and working in the industry since 2008. I always wanted to go to RADA but never applied as I only applied to Rose Bruford. Over the past few years I have wanted it more and more but I realise that I'm not getting any younger so this is my one go at it so I don't look back and say 'what if?' I ended up working at RADA in 2008 for a term with a theatre company doing a project with second years and it only made me like it more. I realise that the chances of getting through are slim but I feel like i should at least try. I'd be really interested to know how many applicants get cut at each stage etc. I know about 3000 apply every year. Are you at drama school?

Read what I've quoted. Thought that was easier then explaining again. I'm only applying to RADA, down to third round auditions.
(edited 13 years ago)
Read what I've quoted. Thought that was easier then explaining again. I'm only applying to RADA, down to third round auditions.

Oh wow, well done! I wish I had the guts to apply to RADA! What kind of things did you have to do in the first and second rounds? I know you have to do two pieces lke Shakespeare and a more Modern piece. What else?
Thank you, very anxious now though. It's the waiting that gets me the most. Honestly you should apply! I think people get intimidated because of the name but even if my auditions go no further I know I have enjoyed the first two rounds and I think they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

I had my first round before Christmas which is performed to a panel of two. You have to do a classical and a contemporary monologue and you have to have a second classical prepared if they need to see more but they didn't ask to see mine. I heard back in about 4 days and had my second audition on Tuesday. In this audition I performed to a panel of 4 one of whom was the head of the audition board (or something like that) The head of RADA is often on the panel but he wasn't on mine. They were very very friendly which was great and I felt like they wanted me to do well which is nicer then feeling like they are waiting for you to fail. I performed the same two speeches and after a 10 min chat about theatre and myself I sang my song and that was it. The boy before me was in the room for 30 mins and I was only in for 20 but still got recalled and another girl was asked to show her third speech at round one so you cannot read anything into the auditions as they totally apply to the individual. Anyway like I said that was on Tuesday and I heard back on Friday about the third round despite them saying it could take 3-4 weeks! I don't have a date for round three yet but I have been told to prepare another speech modern or classical. It is a workshop audition but don't know anything about it!

Whatever you do, stop thinking about it and apply asap. You obviously want it so don't try and put yourself off by thinking about age and experience. I wish I had auditioned for RADA before but every year I make myself miss the deadline by worrying. I gave myself a big kick up the bum this year and just applied.
Thank you, very anxious now though. It's the waiting that gets me the most. Honestly you should apply! I think people get intimidated because of the name but even if my auditions go no further I know I have enjoyed the first two rounds and I think they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

I had my first round before Christmas which is performed to a panel of two. You have to do a classical and a contemporary monologue and you have to have a second classical prepared if they need to see more but they didn't ask to see mine. I heard back in about 4 days and had my second audition on Tuesday. In this audition I performed to a panel of 4 one of whom was the head of the audition board (or something like that) The head of RADA is often on the panel but he wasn't on mine. They were very very friendly which was great and I felt like they wanted me to do well which is nicer then feeling like they are waiting for you to fail. I performed the same two speeches and after a 10 min chat about theatre and myself I sang my song and that was it. The boy before me was in the room for 30 mins and I was only in for 20 but still got recalled and another girl was asked to show her third speech at round one so you cannot read anything into the auditions as they totally apply to the individual. Anyway like I said that was on Tuesday and I heard back on Friday about the third round despite them saying it could take 3-4 weeks! I don't have a date for round three yet but I have been told to prepare another speech modern or classical. It is a workshop audition but don't know anything about it!

Whatever you do, stop thinking about it and apply asap. You obviously want it so don't try and put yourself off by thinking about age and experience. I wish I had auditioned for RADA before but every year I make myself miss the deadline by worrying. I gave myself a big kick up the bum this year and just applied.

You'll be fine. If you have gotten to the third round, you must have showed potential somewhere! The whole process sounds fun, actually, even if the idea makes me really nervous! What is the best way to find monologues? I know the schools like you to read through the plays you want to get a piece from so you get a better idea, but I always struggle with finding the right Shakespeare one. They must really liked you if they replied to you so soon! Maybe they'll just get you working in a class or with other people doing the whole 'pretend you're fire' kind of thing. I have no clue as the last time I applied was when I was 18! xD

I might just have to get the application and send it off before I chicken out! I'll just be happy to be even given an audition at RADA! What is the deadline this year? :s-smilie: Thanks so much for all this help! ^___^
Original post by TheWrockStar
Are you both applying or already on a course, Lauracrocker and FluffyLion?

I'm applying at the moment, on a gap year. Applied to Falmouth, Salford, Sheffield Hallam and Surrey. Rejection from Surrey, audition at SH, informal offer at Salford, waiting on Falmouth. :smile:
Hi everyone :smile:

Has anyone had a audition for Central School (late december 2010 on going)
Would love to hear all you're experiences!
Thanks
Original post by Zayne101
Can still apply for Bristol, Lamda, Mountview, Rada, Guildhall, Oxford school of drama.. do research on CDS schools, only the UCAS schools have deadlines.

your age is fine.

If your quick you can also meet the GSA deadline for a guaranteed audition (31st Jan) :smile:
Original post by EclipseHorse
If your quick you can also meet the GSA deadline for a guaranteed audition (31st Jan) :smile:

Ooo! I'll have to get going then if I want to get these all in! I've seen a uni course at Southampton Solent which sounds pretty good too if I don't get anywhere at drama school (my backup plan!). Does anyone have any idea what panels consider the most over-used monologues? I don't want to choose one that everyone has done!

Oooh, GSA! Thanks, EclipseHorse!
Original post by chompers
Oh righteyyy, FAIR ENOUGH!! Had my interview yesterday, and they did the same offer-wise. For the four people there, they did it for 3 of us - we didn't see the first girl after hers. But I'm waiting til it comes through on UCAS for me to go "woo got an offer", haha!

Hey, was your Rose Bruford interview on the 6th? at 11 or something? If so, i was the 1st girl and got an offer too! :smile: Though they didn't tell me on the day, i got it through UCAS last week
Reply 231
Original post by rbarber.08
Hey, was your Rose Bruford interview on the 6th? at 11 or something? If so, i was the 1st girl and got an offer too! :smile: Though they didn't tell me on the day, i got it through UCAS last week

Indeed it was. I was the other girl, wore a bright red coat and was sitting with the canteen staff :wink: as you do...

But woop woop nice one!!!
where else have you applied?

xxx
(edited 13 years ago)
Indeed it was. I was the other girl, wore a bright red coat and was sitting with the canteen staff :wink: as you do...

xxx

Heyy.. were you at the central interviews on 21st of december?? have you heard anything yet?? haha i was just wondering... xxx
Reply 233
Original post by Wicked_Girliee_Xx
Heyy.. were you at the central interviews on 21st of december?? have you heard anything yet?? haha i was just wondering... xxx

Heya :smile: yeah i was there, but haven't heard anything yet. someone else who had an interview like early-mid december hasn't heard either and they got told mid-january too. . . i'm sure it'll be soon :s x X X

xxx

Awesome! Well done then! :smile:

Ive applied to Central, RSAMD, RWCMD and LIPA
Had my central interview in December, and RSAMD on fri, got lipa and rwcmd in the next few weeks! How about you?
Original post by TheWrockStar
You'll be fine. If you have gotten to the third round, you must have showed potential somewhere! The whole process sounds fun, actually, even if the idea makes me really nervous! What is the best way to find monologues? I know the schools like you to read through the plays you want to get a piece from so you get a better idea, but I always struggle with finding the right Shakespeare one. They must really liked you if they replied to you so soon! Maybe they'll just get you working in a class or with other people doing the whole 'pretend you're fire' kind of thing. I have no clue as the last time I applied was when I was 18! xD

I might just have to get the application and send it off before I chicken out! I'll just be happy to be even given an audition at RADA! What is the deadline this year? :s-smilie: Thanks so much for all this help! ^___^

I'm not sure what the deadline is but if you send off applications by the end of the month you should be ok. Look on the individual websites for dates and application forms. I think a few of the schools have a list of monologues they want you to choose from so maybe use one of those for all your auditions. I hate finding monologues and just have a few that I know work for me. Try and show your strongest style. I'm best at comedy so I made sure I had a great comic monologue and a very contrasting totally still controlled piece. Ask people you have worked with before for advice on your best acting style. I'm so glad you're gong to apply, passion is the most important thing and you have loads!

Thank you for your positive outlook!! I'm trying not to think about it and just find another monologue......no fun!
Reply 236
Original post by rbarber.08
Awesome! Well done then! :smile:

Ive applied to Central, RSAMD, RWCMD and LIPA
Had my central interview in December, and RSAMD on fri, got lipa and rwcmd in the next few weeks! How about you?

Ooo good luck with friday's one!

Ermmm I've applied to Central, LIPA, Guildhall and... Bath Spa. That's the one :P
Had the central one in December tooo. Got LIPA in february, and Guildhall and Bath Spa in March
Gonna be busy :|
xxx
Heya :smile: yeah i was there, but haven't heard anything yet. someone else who had an interview like early-mid december hasn't heard either and they got told mid-january too. . . i'm sure it'll be soon :s x X X

Heyaa... Have you heard from central today??
I got an offer for SM =D hehe xxxx
Reply 238
Original post by Wicked_Girliee_Xx
Heyaa... Have you heard from central today??
I got an offer for SM =D hehe xxxx

Heyyaaa

Yes indeed i have, got an offer for sound *hi-five* nice one :smile:
What's your name btw? Coz if you were there on the 21st I might remember you by name?

xxxx
Reply 239
Original post by Rich!!
I will do :smile: let me know if you hear anything too (if you havent already) :smile: juuust about to send the email :biggrin: xx

Heard from central - Got an offer! :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending